Scorpio does Groenkloof

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scorpio does Groenkloof

So I couldn't make it to the De Wildt GTG on Saturday. And Sunday morning I had to go to Salsolburg. And I was thinking to myself, this could be heaven or this could be hell. Oh no wait, that's the Eagles. Anyway, so I was feeling rather sorry for myself and decided to pop around to Groenkloof. Just to see, you see?

So we loaded the MTB's onto the Scorpio and pointed to nose due north, thinking that it might be quite dry as per one other forumites guess. Anyway, we get there and decide to do the 4X4 first, followed by a lap on the bicycles.

OK, this is where the training sets in. Deflate tires, select 4H and here we go. Up the tar road. Hmmm, tar road, I'm thinking. Everything was nice and smooth, even the gravel roads. Until we got to the bottom of the descent, that is. Now I have cycled for years at Groenkloof, and never have I seen the first water obstacle as full as it was yesterday. The water was even running over the road, a few cm's deep. Wow, I thought, so much for a dusty trail! So I walked (alongside) the water to look at the possible exit routes, remembering seeing videos on Youtube with bakkies struggling to exit (to the side) this piece. And thought, screw it, let's do it! Oh wait, that's Richard Branson's book. Ok whatever, let's just go!

Swambo sitting next to me with slightly enlarged eyes, minime sitting at the back and making sure he has no seatbelt on so he has an easy escape from the water. The two bakkies that arrived in the meantime waiting behind me and shaking their heads...

Vroom vroom, or rather brrrm brrrm and here we go. O crap! I'm pushing a wave in front of my Scorpio that you can literally surf! Minime giggles, "This is cool!" he let's out. Swambo is quiet. I'm thinking, "Nice! You don't have a snorkel and the water's as high as your bonnet!"

Well in a totally anti-climactic way we reach the end of the water, I turn slightly and the Scorpio climbs out of the water like it's just another day for it. Deep ruts here so I keep the right wheel on the middle high ground, the left to the side of the track. Reached the forrest and stop. Look back to see one bakkie having followed me and had stopped just after the water. That's the last time we saw them.

So it's through the next watery part until we reach the axle-twisting part. OK, I thought, let's see what my diff lock does. Well I dunno if it actually worked because nothing happened. Well nothing untoward, at least. No spinning, no wheels rotating in the air, just bopping up and over the holes.

Totally unspectactular.

Stopped at the deep ditch thingy and peeked over... Urgh, it's got lots and lots and lots of water. So do I do this? Eish, thinking of the "R250 recovery fee" sign posted at the start I decide to chicken out on this one. I'll definitely try it when it's dryer, though!

Next up the rocky climb. Walk the climb mentally marking out my line, swambo decides it's time to hike instead. Minime too, so I'm alone on this one. Remember yet another Youtube video with a range rover (I think) rolling slightly backwards and flipping. But that wasn't Groenkloof, so I pressed on.

Again, totally unspectacular. Or so it feels with this Scorpio. It just goes, climbing, crawling and inching ahead with neary a squeak, complaint or loss of traction. Wow, I was impressed!

Episode 2, tomorrow...
    Last edited by OomD; 2011/11/21 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Oom d groenkloof is easy peasy until it rains then you will not get out that hilly section without plenty of road building .
    we were ther about 2 months back after the skies let rip and wet the whole place .
    Even a disco 3 struggled up that hill.
    glad you are enjoying the scorpio, you must join us on a mahindra club day some time.

BE SURE TO CHECK THE WATER LEVELS IN YOU'RE DIFFS AND GERABOX!!!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wayne harvey View Post
    BE SURE TO CHECK THE WATER LEVELS IN YOU'RE DIFFS AND GERABOX!!!
    Thanks, Wayne. Now this is where my 4X4 knowledge falls flat, being a noob and all. How do I check the water levels? Do I simply drain the diffs and gearbox and refill them with the correct oil?
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

No ways are you going to do a complete diff and gearbox oil replacement after 1 watercrossing, that will make 4x4'ing a very costly exercise. I wouldn't be too woried but if you want to be safe, in the morning after its been standing overnight, go down, take out the refill plug. If stuff comes pouring out you probably have water but even so, stick your fingers in (or scoop a little out or whatever), and then flick it onto a hot hot hot stove plate (don't tell swambo). If it crackles thats the water, if not you're fine. Easiest home test to check for water contamination.

I usually do this on the weekend when I'm finished my braai, throw a metal plate on the coals and go test. Its better if its been standing for a while but not a requirement.
    Nick "Useless/King of Stuck" Sjoberg

2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 litre Country
    * Zone 4.5" Lift & Nitro Shocks * D30 sleeved & trussed * D35Trussed & Chromolly shafts * BDS QD's * 31" Maxxis Trepadors * 15x8j Black A-line's * Rugged Ridge TBS * Zone Steering Damper * Cowley Branches, Maniac Freeflow & Cowley Mufflers * Maniac Hood Vents * Maniac Rocksliders* Maniac Recovery Points * Smash and Grab *

Previous: 2002 Isuzu KB 300 TDi LX 4x4 D/Cab - Phantom

Disclaimer:
    All comments and actions made by me were made hypothetically and shouldn't be accepted as fact or tried at home.

Question Grooenkloof Escape routes

Hi OomD

Nice story. I am keen to visit the reserve sometine in December, apart from the game viewing and nature experience, I am keen to so some of the 4x4 trails. Can you confirm if all or only some of the obstacles have escape routes? I have no desire to get stuck especially in that muddy section. From Google maps view, it looks like there are many alternative routes or is one forced to follow the trail. (and in only one direction)?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
    Pajero Sport 3,2 GLS 2010
    Bridgestone Duelers
    Otherwise standard spec

Nick i did not say he must replace i said check.
    previous experience lets leave it there.
    Oom d you have a bolt threaded into the diff casing on the back and front diff losen them put you're finger in and check , if the water is whitiesh then replace other wise dont worry.

Just a safety precaution.

We done the same crossing about a month ago and even the prado that was with us had water in the diffs.

cheers

Nick i did not say he must replace i said check.
    previous experience lets leave it there.
    Oom d you have a bolt threaded into the diff casing on the back and front diff losen them put you're finger in and check , if the water is whitiesh then replace other wise dont worry.

Just a safety precaution.

We done the same crossing about a month ago and even the prado that was with us had water in the diffs.

cheers
    I never said that you told him to replace the oils, he asked if he should replace the oils in his reply to you. I was telling him how to check before he runs off and spends a pile of money on oils unnecessarily.

Read again.

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post
    Thanks, Wayne. Now this is where my 4X4 knowledge falls flat, being a noob and all. How do I check the water levels? Do I simply drain the diffs and gearbox and refill them with the correct oil?
    Nick "Useless/King of Stuck" Sjoberg

2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 litre Country
    * Zone 4.5" Lift & Nitro Shocks * D30 sleeved & trussed * D35Trussed & Chromolly shafts * BDS QD's * 31" Maxxis Trepadors * 15x8j Black A-line's * Rugged Ridge TBS * Zone Steering Damper * Cowley Branches, Maniac Freeflow & Cowley Mufflers * Maniac Hood Vents * Maniac Rocksliders* Maniac Recovery Points * Smash and Grab *

Previous: 2002 Isuzu KB 300 TDi LX 4x4 D/Cab - Phantom

Disclaimer:
    All comments and actions made by me were made hypothetically and shouldn't be accepted as fact or tried at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Backroads View Post
    Hi OomD... Can you confirm if all or only some of the obstacles have escape routes? I have no desire to get stuck especially in that muddy section... and in only one direction...
    From what I saw the gnarly ones (do people still talk like that?) have escape routes, i.e. all the water/muddy ones. The rocky ones don't, it seems, but also doesn't need them IMO.

... Oom d you have a bolt threaded into the diff casing on the back and front diff losen them put you're finger in and check , if the water is whitiesh then replace other wise dont worry.
    Thanks, Wayne, I will definitely check it out. The same check on the gearbox too? Also, I assume that if the diffs were properly filled then any water added will make the oil run out when removing the bolt, so that should be a sure sign of water addition? But then, if the diff oil was low to start with then one wouldn't know, hey? Ok, I'll stick my finger in.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Nick sorry i dont read allot i like pictures more than reading hence i dont read a sentance completely.

Peace!!!

Oom d You will see the difference easily, only thing is keep a rag close for dirty oily finger.
    The gearbox and tranfer cases work the same way.
    transfer case has more chance of getting water in gearbox breather is quiet high but check just in case.

cheers

Eish, thinking of the "R250 recovery fee" sign posted at the start I decide to chicken out on this one. I'll definitely try it when it's dryer, though!
    Next time take my number I stay 5 minutes away from Groenkloof, and I would have come recovered you for just the entrance fee, which is way less than the recovery fee.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    Next time take my number I stay 5 minutes away from Groenkloof, and I would have come recovered you for just the entrance fee, which is way less than the recovery fee.
    Especially seeing that the recovery fee is R350 and not R250. I'mm also not too far away and will gladly come help.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Especially seeing that the recovery fee is R350 and not R250. I'mm also not too far away and will gladly come help.
    Yes, I actually forgot to mention that. That is very expensive.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

Stopped at the deep ditch thingy and peeked over... Urgh, it's got lots and lots and lots of water. So do I do this? Eish, thinking of the "R250 recovery fee" sign posted at the start I decide to chicken out on this one. I'll definitely try it when it's dryer, though!
    Good call.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i 4x4
    Slightly battle scarred

I once did that ditch on my mountain bike without inspecting it first, mens is mos nou braaf, I got a nasty surpsrise when hit a rock that was covered with mud and water.

Well lets just say my friends enjoyed it more than I did.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

Thanks for the offer! Mind PMing me your number?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Yes, sorry the R250 was typo. It is indeed R350. If you feel like it also PM me your number, every bit helps, thx.

I once did that ditch on my mountain bike without inspecting it first, mens is mos nou braaf, I got a nasty surpsrise when hit a rock that was covered with mud and water.

Well lets just say my friends enjoyed it more than I did.
    Ha ha ha, yes we also always dare each other to take the dip on our bikes, but we usually take it going down the rocky part instead of the other way around like the 4X4's. Thing is, the 4X4 entry bank has eroded such a lot that it's almost a vertical wall to try and climb out then with the bike. Speed is your friend there, alas I've found myself better acquanted with the "wall" once
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Ha ha ha, yes we also always dare each other to take the dip on our bikes, but we usually take it going down the rocky part instead of the other way around like the 4X4's. Thing is, the 4X4 entry bank has eroded such a lot that it's almost a vertical wall to try and climb out then with the bike. Speed is your friend there, alas I've found myself better acquanted with the "wall" once
    PM sent

Yes the vertical drop is not the problem, I used to ride one of those trick bike BMX's during school and varsity. It was the face plant in the water/mud that got me.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

If there are no pics...It didn't happen
    (CURRENT) PAJERO LWB 3.2 AUTO 4X4
    (SOLD) TRITON 3.2 AUTO 4X4
    (SOLD ) PAJERO SPORT 3.2 AUTO 4X4

Smile Escape routes

[QUOTE=OomD;967232]From what I saw the gnarly ones (do people still talk like that?) have escape routes, i.e. all the water/muddy ones. The rocky ones don't, it seems, but also doesn't need them IMO.

Hi OomD

Thanks for the reply . I will give the trail a try (avoiding the Wet obstacles) but I will just be wary on the rocky bits if there has been heavy rain.

Thanks

Mike
    Pajero Sport 3,2 GLS 2010
    Bridgestone Duelers
    Otherwise standard spec

Default Episode 2

So after reaching the top of the first rocky climb Swambo decides that it looks much worse than it is, and relaxes a bit more. We continue following the trail and get to the logs - the ones laid over the pit. Now I have a serious aversion to any narrow bridge-like structures from MTB cycling, so I just had to cross these logs otherwise it would keep haunting me. With swambo in front giving me directions (this way... slowly... no, no! that way! slow... Slow.. no back back!!) I eventually cross over them, but not without my heartrate elevating a bit

Soon we reached what we in the cycling fraternity know as " Ouma se bult". For those who don't know, the smaller gear on your MTB is generally referred to as the granny (ouma) gear, only used on extreme uphills. Well " Ouma se bult" is one of those, it is the one where onion hill splits off from. I guess a granny is akin to low-range... lots of torque but very little speed.

So up we go, and take a left onto onion hill. Climbing this is effortless, it was much worse when I descended it once on my MTB. At the top we got to go over two koppies, quite rocky ones with the Scorpio hopping up and down a bit on the one when some loose rock decided to part ways with us... I actually got the Scorpio airborne for a few milliseconds here, that got the heart pumping again!

After this it's mostly a scenic drive back to the start, we spotted plenty of Gnu's, giraffe, zebras and other antelope.

All in all a fun-filled outing for the novice 4X4keteer. Next time I hope to do the big ditch, and maybe attempt Groenkloof again immediately after some serious rain.

Some pics. Nothing too spectacular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GK1 1.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	121611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GK2 2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	121612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GK3 2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	121613  
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Quote Originally Posted by Backroads View Post
    Thanks for the reply . I will give the trail a try (avoiding the Wet obstacles) but I will just be wary on the rocky bits if there has been heavy rain.
    Thanks
    Mike

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread

I am going to Groenkloof on Sunday 27th, so if you around & / want to try the trail with some other 4x4's you can join.. We should be starting the trail @9am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast