Land Rover R6

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover R6

Default Land Rover R6

Hi, I come from the levers and linkages days and this IT stuff is alien to me. My apologies if i am doing the wrong things.
    Here's my problem, I have a R6 ex military on the game farm. It has the origional straight six engine with 2 SU carborators. I would like to replace the engine with a diesel. This is a farm vehicle and seldom goes to town so top speed is not an issue. Any suggestions, Thanks.

You get a Nissan 6 cylinder diesel called the RD28 I think which I have seen fitted in place of the R6. It looked like a factory fit.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Is the original motor klapped out?
    A legend in his own mind

Thanks I will look for one and do a costing. Other option is to change the manifold and fit a webber carb. The engine is still running well but 3km/lt. The SU carbs are a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    You get a Nissan 6 cylinder diesel called the RD28 I think which I have seen fitted in place of the R6. It looked like a factory fit.

An inlet manifold with a Weber would be quickest and easiest.
    Yes the SU's are not fun.

The RD28 or any other diesel conversion will need adapters and so on.

Or you can sell the R6 to me?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Ruwaka View Post
    Thanks I will look for one and do a costing. Other option is to change the manifold and fit a webber carb. The engine is still running well but 3km/lt. The SU carbs are a pain.
    Nowt wrong with the SU carbs. Have you set them correctly with the correct float height and the correct drop on the bit the needle fits into. What's the state of the needles ?
    Don't expect better fuel consumption with a Webber.

Mike
    Margaret

GeminiMikeMargaret (schizo?):

With all due respect

Tuning a pair of SUs takes a good ear and lots of patience getting the balance right and the mixture. They also have vacuum slides and more needles and gubbins like linkages than a Weber. Been there, done that, spent hours on Minis and Austins.

The Weber doesn't need to be re-tuned every six months or even less. And if you drop or climb 2000 meters then you fiddle with one fuel mixture screw, not two tubes.

The Weber will at least be reliable and consistent.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    GeminiMikeMargaret (schizo?):
    With all due respect
    Tuning a pair of SUs takes a good ear and lots of patience getting the balance right and the mixture. They also have vacuum slides and more needles and gubbins like linkages than a Weber. Been there, done that, spent hours on Minis and Austins.
    The Weber doesn't need to be re-tuned every six months or even less. And if you drop or climb 2000 meters then you fiddle with one fuel mixture screw, not two tubes.
    The Weber will at least be reliable and consistent.
    >>> One needle. One choke tube per carb.....Easy peasy to tune......Last one I did was an MGB. The guy who owned the garage asked me to do it, which I did.....Then he tried to explain the BMW injection systen to me...He did the BMW's and I did the SU's......You could at one time buy a Carb Balancer from Colortune......That did make the setting easier..

mike

ps. It's Margarets loging..I just use it at time to confuse you all.
    Margaret

I tried the rd28 route. Lot's of blood, sweat & tears.

Mine blew the head gasket right at the back of the moter 3 times. Lost all patience and
    went the 3.5l Rover v8 mod and was never happier. SU's in good tune & balance are an absolute pleasure.
    1949 Series 1 80" 2.0l rover engine.Also Sold
    1969 Series 2a 109" safari. 3.5l rover engine, 4sp Range Rover ZF g/box. 3.5 diffs Sold. Will miss her lots
    1999 Disco ii 4.0l v8 Auto box

Default R6

Hi. Am new to this site. Have a R6 which was one owner from new. It is the ADE version and very happy with it. Also know a guy selling a petrol version for 20k if anyone keen. It is in Capetown. Does anyone know if the ADE fits directly to the Rover v8 gearbox. It is for another project. Would never change mine as is original from day one. Not even a dent. Cheers
    Sorry also looking for a workshop manual on the ADE R6. My number is 0794862246

Quote Originally Posted by rockrhys View Post
    Hi. Am new to this site. Have a R6 which was one owner from new. It is the ADE version and very happy with it. Also know a guy selling a petrol version for 20k if anyone keen. It is in Capetown. Does anyone know if the ADE fits directly to the Rover v8 gearbox. It is for another project. Would never change mine as is original from day one. Not even a dent. Cheers
    Sorry also looking for a workshop manual on the ADE R6. My number is 0794862246
    An ADE R6 ? That's absolutely priceless

The vehicle is the Land Rover Series IIIS, made only in SA.

It had either the R6 petrol engine (most common) or the ADE 236 diesel engine. I can't really imagine one with both engines fitted

Check with Motorbooks, using this information and you may have better luck in finding a manual. A Series III manual will do, along with the appropriate engine manual, which is more likely to be found.
    Regards,<br><br>Brian<br><br>

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

wonderful vehicle yes. Both engines no. Have a spare motor I was thinking of dropping into an early Defender v8 which will make it a Defender with ADE engine. Should be good if it works. Series 3 and 3s have some differences but I believe the 3s manual is available especially if the army ran these vehicles. Anyway will keep trying. Thanks for your input

Well, the ADE 236 is actually a Perkins 4.236. Local production never did get off the ground and the ADE project was largely abandoned. In fact, all the ADE 236 engines fitted were fully imported Perkins 4.236 engines.

Again, Motorbooks will find you a manual for that engine and the rest is covered in the Land Rover Series III manual. Although I do not know where you might get info on clutch parts.

http://www.motorbooks.co.za/
    Last edited by Brian; 2014/03/02 at 06:56 PM.
    Regards,<br><br>Brian<br><br>

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

I have a Series 3 S. If you want part info you can get from Rob Leimer or Belltrade.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Thanks all. I know the 6 cylinder had a different box but possibly same transfer box. my jumping out of gear was repaired by someone for first owner. Alternatively I have a spare Santana box and just open the one with a problem and swop boxes. Going to have a full rolling chassis with diffs for sale. Also various body parts. chassis is galvanised R6.

If you have any R6 specific parts please let me know?

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Hi Gents, first time here. I do have a R6 ex-army 1983 model straight 6. I want to put the leave springs on top of the diff's to give it some height!!!! would it work?

Things are very slow on this site!!!!?

Is there so little R6 Landy's?

I have a S11a with a Ford V6 - game viewer..
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast