Discovery 3 CD and Cruise Control problems (incl. bad experience with dealer)

Default CD and Cruise Control problems (incl. bad experience with dealer)

I have two independent problems with my Disco 3 at present:

1. CD front loader struggling to play a disc without disc error. Was pausing for a few seconds every minute or so, but after our long, bumpy and dusty 3 month trip it has deteriorated to hardly accepting a disc anymore.

2. Cruise control working erratically. It generally works once per drive - when it is egaged, if I brake or use the buttons to accelerate or decelerate, then it goes off and will only work again when I restart the engine.

Anybody else encountered these problems, and any advice for me please?

The bad experience is that I bought this otherwise great vehicle after getting the seller to give me the official 132 point check at Land Rover/Jaguar in Cape Town. This LR dealer ticked the box for both "CD/Radio" and "Cruise Control" as no problems to report, and I only picked these problems up after taking delivery. Sadly, the previous owner emigrated (I got the vehicle from the airport) and LR were not willing to take any responsibility for their reputation in providing an incorrect 132 point check upon which I made my decision to accept the seller's price. (Was I surprised at their response? No. Disappointed? Yes! Why don't they value their reputation? The arrogance ticked me off.) After haggling with them, they ran my vehicle with their computer fault checker and picked up a faulty cruise control and reloaded the software on the CD after also trying to clean it. However, the problems came back pretty soon along the road, and now I have a new cruise control part that is still malfunctioning.

Next time I will rather do an AA test than the LR 132 point lucky dip, and probably stay with the vehicle when they test it to make sure they do a thorough job.
    Last edited by ReadySteadyGo; 2011/11/08 at 07:03 PM.
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

I know what the possible problem could be.

Firstly, the cruise control could be the clock spring in the steering wheel. Mine does the same.

The radio/CD thing is still a mystery to me, mine does the same, and I have not been on any dusty roads.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Wow, Craig. So its not just my vehicle. This CD thing is a major pain in the you know what. Keen to hear if any other Disco 3 owners have experienced the same. Perhaps they need to do a factory recall on this part.
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

Yes, I have tried a CD cleaning kit as well, but nothing wants to work. I think I might have to take out the radio and see if it is really just dirty or what.

Yes a recall would be nice.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

I have the same problems the cd unit in the S (cd400?) is apparently known to give trouble, my cd hasn't worked since I got the vehicle, too expensive to fix so guys are rather putting in an aftermarket replacement unit, reference - disco3.co.uk.

I simply added a 3.5mm female jack and use an ipod on the aux channel.
    See disco3 as above for this mod.

Same on the cruise control, set it and then try not to fiddle with the buttons too much, if I brake and then re-engage it seems to work but if I move it up and down it freaks out and then need to switch off/on to reset,painful but I can live with it.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Dylan
    LandRover Discovery III TDV6 S 2006

GP 0112

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I have the same problems the cd unit in the S (cd400?) is apparently known to give trouble, my cd hasn't worked since I got the vehicle, too expensive to fix so guys are rather putting in an aftermarket replacement unit, reference - disco3.co.uk.

I simply added a 3.5mm female jack and use an ipod on the aux channel.
    See disco3 as above for this mod.

Same on the cruise control, set it and then try not to fiddle with the buttons too much, if I brake and then re-engage it seems to work but if I move it up and down it freaks out and then need to switch off/on to reset,painful but I can live with it.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Hi Craig, readysteadygo and Dylan

CD issue is well documented. Seems to be a factory fault. Will there ever be a recall?

I have not had any grief with the speedo cruise.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Never had any of above mentioned issues but what I can suggest is to try LR in Stellenbosch. I used them once on our west coast trip and got excellent service from them.

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Never had any of above mentioned issues but what I can suggest is to try LR in Stellenbosch. I used them once on our west coast trip and got excellent service from them.
    Hi

you got a different radio/cd combo in your vehicle.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Craig, readysteadygo and Dylan

CD issue is well documented. Seems to be a factory fault. Will there ever be a recall?

I have not had any grief with the speedo cruise.
    Where is the CD issue well documented? Is this document available, maybe someone can fix this for us?

Discovery 3 V8 SE