1984 280 ge(m)

Thread: 1984 280 ge(m)

Default 1984 280 ge(m)

Hi,

I am thinking of buying one of these... is it recomended? What should I look out for? milage is about 250k. What are the specific issues with these? It will be used everyday, is this practical?

What is the consumption like with these? is it Fuel Injected?

help... Thanx
    Land Cruiser 79 V8 2015
    Land Cruiser 76 V8 2014

May I suggest you poke around here:

http://www.mb4x4.co.za/forum/forum.php

It is best to manage your expectations. Therefore it would be good if you gave some reasoning and usage guidelines for your choice.

Hi, thanx for that. Did find a discussion on the 280 Ge, and what shocked me was the consumption of 21L per 100km... ouch...

The reason for a G is I like bullet proof cars, I like things that dont break, and don't have to be fussed over. But, I also like things that are reasonable in the consumption dept...

That said, I haven't found a diesel G anywhere.... Anyone got one they wanna sell?
    Land Cruiser 79 V8 2015
    Land Cruiser 76 V8 2014

I have a diesel G but not keen to sell. There is a 460 230GE LWB 5 door in the Cape for sale. Looks very neat. Check the for sale section in the forum.

The 230GE is a nice motor.

There is also a mint 290GDT for sale somewhere but it is over 400k. A tad over priced. Would say it will go for about 350k.

The 280 is a thirsty beast but good.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseBeast View Post
    .....that dont break.....
    ...that's a tall order for anything mechanical.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

I agree with Sakkie. Gs do break. All mechanical things do. Although in general you will find the G to be well engineered and quite robust. For the time the best there was on offer but for a price. My opinion.

Remember the 460 Gs came out in the 80s so a car that is 25 years old will require a fair bit in maintenance depending on previous owners. Also the 460 odo only counts to 100k km so you are not sure of actual miles.

If you get a good one for 150k budget at least 50k on making repairs and general maintenance.

Parts are reasonable from MB and mostly readily available.

landcruisers don't break. ask the owners................
    A2BxG.

Default Maintenance and hidden dangers

Quote Originally Posted by munga View Post
    I agree with Sakkie. Gs do break. All mechanical things do. If you get a good one for 150k budget at least 50k on making repairs and general maintenance.
    All the TLC70-series used by Voetspore on their previous trip had to have their differentials replaced within 3 months after their return. Apparently, water that had entered the diffs had caused extensive damage. It was said that these failures may have been prevented if proper maintenance had been done and also if breather pipes had been fitted. It leaves me with questions, one of which is just this: if Toyota did not learn to fit such breather pipes, even with 60 years' experience in building 'Cruisers, is this merely an oversight, is it a cost-cutting aspect or is it ignorance?

I have NO expertise on this and I am asking anyone with proven knowledge to educate me. from my perspective, I can think of a number of ways to install such breathers, extending well above wading depth. Where there is a will, there will be a way!

The next question would be this: what is the situation with G-wagen and water entering its transmission system? what risks are involved?
    A2BxG.

Quote Originally Posted by BosDonkie View Post
    All the TLC70-series used by Voetspore on their previous trip had to have their differentials replaced within 3 months after their return. Apparently, water that had entered the diffs had caused extensive damage. It was said that these failures may have been prevented if proper maintenance had been done and also if breather pipes had been fitted. It leaves me with questions, one of which is just this: if Toyota did not learn to fit such breather pipes, even with 60 years' experience in building 'Cruisers, is this merely an oversight, is it a cost-cutting aspect or is it ignorance?

I have NO expertise on this and I am asking anyone with proven knowledge to educate me. from my perspective, I can think of a number of ways to install such breathers, extending well above wading depth. Where there is a will, there will be a way!

The next question would be this: what is the situation with G-wagen and water entering its transmission system? what risks are involved?
    I will say this again. The G is very well engineered piece of kit but you pay for it. My G comes std from the factory with diffs, gearbox and transfer case breather pipes extended as std. Also my alternator has a "snorkel" to raise air intake in the engine bay as std as an example. Hell even my fog lamps have raised breather pipes as std!

Basically Mercedes built what Land Rover and Toyota meant to build. Unfortunately this comes at a price to have some engineer think about all this stuff and put it into a car. Most will complain about this however but very little else on the G.

Quote Originally Posted by munga View Post
    I will say this again. The G is very well engineered piece of kit but you pay for it. My G comes std from the factory with diffs, gearbox and transfer case breather pipes extended as std. Also my alternator has a "snorkel" to raise air intake in the engine bay as std as an example. Hell even my fog lamps have raised breather pipes as std!

Basically Mercedes built what Land Rover and Toyota meant to build. Unfortunately this comes at a price to have some engineer think about all this stuff and put it into a car. Most will complain about this however but very little else on the G.
    Strangly enough my RR P38 has (in principle) all those things - even the fog lamp breathers.

LR has always lead the way in these things. Other people just copied them and made them better.

PS - Air suspension gives you more floatation in deep water crossings - better that.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy

Strangly enough my RR P38 has (in principle) all those things - even the fog lamp breathers.

LR has always lead the way in these things. Other people just copied them and made them better.

PS - Air suspension gives you more floatation in deep water crossings - better that.
    I think the spirit of the 1st RR was there. Unfortunately implementation of British cars at the time was very poor.