2005 Kia Sorento Lift Kit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2005 Kia Sorento Lift Kit

I've been following the Sportage's lift kit threads and decided to apply that knowlegde to the 2002-2009 Sorento, but I ran into some differences with regards to the rear suspension and in particular the extension of the rear shocks.

For reference, here is the Kia Sportage lift kit threads:

Thanks Hendrik: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=97108

Thanks Mike, Ian and Rynhardt: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=11732

FRONT: All the spacers are the same as for the Sportage, and the procedure for installation is the same too. I will confirm the CORRECT SIZES for the spacers at a later stage though. What I can confirm is that you can lift 50mm, instead of the 40mm on the Sportage.

REAR: The difference here is that the spacer should not be flat like on the Sportage as the coil spring is lying in a formed cradle. The kits that you buy are made to be fitted to the bottom of the coil and does accomodate the curl of the coil spring and the factory cradle.

Alternatives would include placing the spacer on top of the coil.
    For this I'll need to remove the coil and take measurements.

See pic below:

Place the spacer on top of the coil:

Below is the part that is NOT as easy as the Sportage. The factory shock bracket which must be extended is not as easy as with the Sportage. Not totally un-doable, but it would require a bigger more elaborate bracket than the Sportage.

I could also looked into using a longer shock, but as far as my reasearch goes, you want to keep shock and coil travel as close to factory as possible, hence the shock extender bracket.

See pic below:

Besides the DIY lift spacer, you could buy the kit from Daystar, but be sure to specify whether you have the PRE-facelift or the facelift Sorento. See the difference here:

Thanks Sean: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=87440

For installation of the Daystar Lift Kit on the PRE-facelift Sorento, see here: http://daystarweb.com/attachments/in.../ka/P11415.pdf

FACELIFT Sorento installation is the same, except for the kit parts that differ.

Finally, the issue regarding the Panhard rod: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=49128

I doubt that a 50mm lift will have adverse effects on the handling with regards to the Panhard argument, but I will not be going into this right now. IF the Panhard rod needs to be adjusted/changed, it can be done with minimal effort. The factory mounts are a bit difficult to ajdust, so you should rather look at a new rod. I would also have to look into the trailing arms, but also not at this stage, or for the minimal effect of a 50mm lift.

Below: Panhard mount on Chassis. It comes down with quite a bracket.

Below: Panhard mount on axle.

Below: Trailing arm

Another angle:

Herman Bellville
    2005 Kia Sorento EX 2.5diesel Coil Lift Kit, Body Lit Kit, 4mm Bash Plate, Rock Sliders, Wheel Spacers.

Hi,
    The Sportage isn't limited to a 40mm spacer at the front. I know someone who fitted 50mm front as well.

For the shock mounting, you could also lower the top mount. That might be easier.

For the rear spacer I agree with you that putting the spacer at the top would be easier.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

Here is the (defining) picture of the top shock mount. No better option than the bottom really.

I would still require a decent bracket to lower the mount, and I designed a little bracket that should be welded into place. Not really bolt-on, I know, but now it’s becoming more effort than anticipated.
    The bolt will be passed through both holes similar to the existing mount and bolt.

Now I need some imput: As the kits that you buy (Daystar and the likes), does not mention or make accommodation for the shock extension, how critical is it that it needs to be done. I am not using the Sorento for serious offroad, but mainly playing in the dunes or crossing the odd rocky road. How much modding is REALLY needed?
    Herman Bellville
    2005 Kia Sorento EX 2.5diesel Coil Lift Kit, Body Lit Kit, 4mm Bash Plate, Rock Sliders, Wheel Spacers.

All that will happen is you will loose wheel travel. Its not as must, you can always do it at a later stage if you see it is necessary. Currently with my setup the back is lifted 60mm but the shock mounting is only shifted 45mm. So technically I lost 15mm wheel travel....haven't noticed it though
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

If, in the case of extreme axle movement, the shock reaches the end of it's capacity, what will happen? Considering you lose 50mm travel which the shock must now accommodate. Will the shock most likely bend? How far does the (unaltered factory) torsion bar assist with preventing shock damage?
    Herman Bellville

Found it. I always try to reinvent the wheel and the simplest solution is usually the best one...

A turned shackle which may be added to either the top or bottom of the existing shock will give the desired lift. Presto!
    Does anybody have experience with these? These are used on GM trucks in the states and I've seen some pictures of similar (though made from THINNER steel!) on Syncro Caravelles.

The ones in this picture are for a Jimny.

6 x 30 or 40mm flat and 6mm wall thickness tube.

Herman Bellville

Haha, ingenious solution!
    Thanks
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

Franky Guest

I am not really a supporter of spacers.
    spacers for a bodylift ok but under the coils? it can make noises and doesent really brings a benefit. coil replacement lift gives more travel and that is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I am not really a supporter of spacers.
    spacers for a bodylift ok but under the coils? it can make noises and doesent really brings a benefit. coil replacement lift gives more travel and that is what you want.
    WHAT!
    By using spacers you keep the OEM specification on the springs and dampers. At the rear you loose no travel, and at the front no less than you would have with new coils. And were are you going to make these coils? Many places that manufacture them make substandard quality coils that break or wear out prematurely.

And there are no noise? Where would it come from?

And the benefit lies in the increased ground clearance...thats why someone would fit spacers...
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

EDIT: I have temporarily removed the PDF attachment to update the dimensions. Refer to my later posts for the revision file or PM me.

Update: I took some measurements of the Sorento’s suspension last weekend and together with some serious guesstimates, I did the following calculations.

Decision on material to be used: I went with 8mm mild steel in the end, but I also investigated other options.

Billet aluminium would have been first prize, but it's really cost prohibitive and I'm not geared to fabricate alu, so the search continued.

Polyethylene:
    Cape Plastics (http://maps.google.co.za/maps/place?...45083328304964) sell blocks cut to size, I would then machine it down to a circular shape and make provision for the bolts and coils etc.

This would then work out as follows. For the front struts I would need 50mm thick polyethylene which works out to R168+VAT for a 200x200x50mm block. For the rear I thought about 100mm thick and a 300x300x100mm block was R800+VAT.

Material totals to R2207 VAT included, without machining or bolts which is more expensive than simply importing a Daystar kit.

Cape Plastic was not a totally useless exercise as they also sell 80mm polyethylene round bar at R64-73 per 100mm piece. Perfect to cut into discs for a body lift… But more on that next year maybe…

Mild Steel:
    Since I usually overdesign and over engineer everything, my decision in the end to go with metal, and 8mm at that too, should come as no surprize. I drafted some designs and sent my order in to a plasma cutting service. R500 cash secured me all the 8mm components I require, cut to size. I should be getting them back today.

I also got some additional 40x6mm flat bar and 25mm round bar to fabricate the shock extenders. Still a bit indecisive on the actual design, but sonething as simple as this might also work:

Last edited by Hellas; 2011/11/14 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Revised the attachment
    Herman Bellville

Got the plates and the lazercut quality is just WOW. I think I found a new hobby. I also got high tensile bolts from Nesco for the front strut tower extension as well as 2 x 14x80mm bolts for the shock extensions.

I might get started, but will however not complete this over the weekend due to other commitments, but I will update with some pictures next week on my progress.

Herman Bellville

Hi Herman

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, I would like to do the same.
    Are you going to make a 'spacer' for the tie-rod aswell?

Johan van Rensburg
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 - Rocksliders - Bashplate - Radio Replacement
    DiWa Offroad Caravan

Dankie vir die vertroue, Johan

The tie rods will not be changed. According to the guys that that's already done a 50mm lift, the tie rods are fine for this amout of lift, but they will however probably be adjusted during my mandatory wheel alignment after fitment of the lift kit. If the tie rods are found to be incapable of reaching the required adjustment, will I then look into another set.

As for the spacers themselves, I started out Friday night to make the shock extensions and dry-fit the components of the spacers.
    For the shock extenders I ended up using 40x5mm flat bar paired with 25mm round bar.

I stared work on the spacers at 11:00 on Saturday morning, stripped out the one rear coils to get EXACT meaurements this time, got a bit carried away and ended up finishing all 4 spacers as well as the 2 shock extenders by 8 that night, including 2 coats etch primer. Now I just need to have everything fitted to the Sorento.

Here is the pictures for those who don't like read through the boring bits.

All the components laid out. I had already drilled 14mm holes through some 25mm mild steel rod for the shock extender brackets.

Dry-fitting of the front spacer. I used three bolts to align the holes and to hold the spacer plates firmly in place for the welding part.

This following paragraph deals with the REAR spacer only:
    To get back to the accuracy of my original measurements (guesstimates):

The rear spacers as per my abovementioned design are 100% as is. The only thing I would adjust is the top ring's inner diameter to completely fit the coil cradle space. This is however not a must as the 8mm plate is quite capable with enough contact area. The inner diameter could be lessened to 124mm, not NOT less than that as the centering part of the coil cradle is 120mm dia on top.

I originally thought to lessen the outer diameter of both the top and bottom rings, but on second thought, the rings does fit the coil cradle perfect and no unneccesary sideways movement is possible.

Here you can see the top ring still has some gap on the inside, but fit the outside diameter perfectly.

And here is the original rubber coil seat, which have a gap on the outside. I still prefer the tighter outside fitment of the metal top ring.

The rear spacer taking shape (in a crude way... Will it help if I blame the cell pic for the looks of the welding...?)

The apron ring on the bottom is a 30x3mm flatbar and is there to retain and seat the coil's rubber top seat. The ring and rubber seat is a snug fit and works perfectly.

All done! Ready for fitment! Only thing not discussed yet is how the rear spacer will stay put. Under normal use and without retaining mounts, the coil and spacer will not budge, but for peace of mind I have decided to mount/attach the complete spacer to either the coil or the body/coil cradle.

The spacer-to-coil pair would be easier as a simple thin flat bar across the bottom of the spacer will retain the coil. I would again feel safer if the entire spacer was securely mounted to the top coil cradle. For this I will use a bolt which will hold 2 pieces of flatbar in a sideways 'H' configuration to secure the spacer against the coil cradle. But more on this later (including some pictures)

Herman Bellville

Excellent Herman. Dit lyk baie goed.
    Selfone kan net nie ordentlike welding pics neem nie...

Dankie vir die updates en fotos.

Johan van Rensburg
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 - Rocksliders - Bashplate - Radio Replacement
    DiWa Offroad Caravan

Franky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    WHAT!
    By using spacers you keep the OEM specification on the springs and dampers. At the rear you loose no travel, and at the front no less than you would have with new coils. And were are you going to make these coils? Many places that manufacture them make substandard quality coils that break or wear out prematurely.

And there are no noise? Where would it come from?

And the benefit lies in the increased ground clearance...thats why someone would fit spacers...
    Imported MAD coils from Netherlands!
    With spacers you increase ground clearance but not your travel!
    Coils give more travel and clearance.

And if you hear the clack clack! its your coils touching!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Imported MAD coils from Netherlands!
    With spacers you increase ground clearance but not your travel!
    Coils give more travel and clearance.

And if you hear the clack clack! its your coils touching!
    The travel is limited by the dampers, not the springs...
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

To address Frank's concern, I will first say that Frank is correct in saying that you can increase both travel and lift with new coils, but this was not my intention.

I do not plan to overland with this vehicle or do extreme trails hence there is no need for increased suspension travel. The coil lift will, besides the lift, also allow me fit bigger tyre which will further assist in ground clearance issues, all while keeping to factory handling.

After all is done, the bang per buck of a lift like this suits me practically (besides financially...)

I will post the total cost breakdown at a later stage, but I am finishing this project well within my projected budget, which, I may add is 10% of a off-the-shelf coil and shock upgrade.

Now 2 points regarding my 'budget' lift: Although you cannot compare a full suspension swop with a couple of spacers, the spacer lift suits my needs. Period.

Secondly, to say that you did it inexpensively does NOT mean that it's done cheaply. The overdesigned 8mm plates paired with the careful design will leave much less room for failure of the product.
    Herman Bellville

Franky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    The travel is limited by the dampers, not the springs...
    And the bump stop!
    Continuously touching the shock end damages the valves.
    Additionally this has been discussed about 2-3 years ago where people teamed up to fit the lift. After 1 weekend and 1 car the project was stopped!
    I dont want to be smart ass but it has been done before.

Could you post the link to the discussion?

As far is I understand it the bump stops only limit upward travel and not droop
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

I finished the installation on Saturday, now I just need to have the wheel alignment done.

As with all things in duplicate, the first one will take you 2 hours and the second one only 20 minutes... I did the whole install myself with selective help from my brother when it came to adding some compression to the coils, but all in all in hindsight, if I have to do this again, I will definitely be able to do it myself and in half the time too.

Here is some pointers on the installation:

To assist in getting the tortion bar tention off from the suspension I loosened the front and rear torsion bars by the rubber mounts, not the ball joints. I did this as the ball joins started turning.

FRONT: Since this is a Sorento, I had to remove the airfilter housing on the one side and the battery and tray on the other side to get access to the top bolts of the strut tower.

Before removing the control arm and strut, jack up the complete suspension and hook in coil tentioners on the coil. I had trouble getting the lower arm low enough to fit the strut back with the new spacer on top. By having the coil ever so slightly compressed, it helps in getting the back in easily.

See piture below after fitment: (Note the torsion bar hanging in front of the axle)

Front complete:

REAR: First, remove both shocks. I did this with the car still on tyres as it is safer and it is the only part of the excercise that needs you to be under the car.

Having the shocks out of the way gives lots more room to get the coil out.

Same as the front, get the coil compressed by jacking up the axle and clamping the coil with some coil compressors. The rear of the Sorent is not very heavy, and by jacing up the axle, you quickly raise the whole vehicle without compressing the coil, so I had my brother get into the rear to just get that little bit more compression before hooking in the coil compressors

Here is detail of the shock extender:

Fitted:

The rear spacers are kept in place by the following brackets that I added to the spacer. There is another 8mm flatbar that hooks into the hole in the existing coil cradle and the spacer is simply boltes to that with a 12mm HT bolt, thus keeping the spacer snugly in place even if the coil is out.

I also added a thin rubber sheet on top of the spacer to prevent the metal-on-metal of the spacer and the existing coil cradle.

Complete job:

I have taken some 'before' photos which I will post after I took the 'after' photos after the wheel alignment. What I can say is that the result is really noticable and really worth the effort.
    Herman Bellville

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast