Recent Trip to Namibia - Route/Road Report

Default Recent Trip to Namibia - Route/Road Report

So on Sunday 9 October (After Bryce Lawrence beat the Springboks) we left for a quick dash through Namibia.
    The trip actually came up when my sister & her BF received a birthday gift that included accommodation in Swakopmund. I thought, "Why not drive up and meet them at the airport in Walvisbay?", and SWAMBO actually agreed!
    So we put a quick trip together. For now I will only share the route info & comments on that.

Day1
    Start: Melkbosstrand
    Destination: Abiqua Campsite
    Distance: 676 km all on TAR
    Comments:
    The route follows the N7 from Cape Town to the border.
    To get to Abiqua turn left onto the C13 just after the border, left again after 500m and follow the sign.

Day 2
    Start: Abiqua
    Destination: Klein-Aus Vista & Luderitz
    Distance: Abiqua - Klein-Aus via Rosh Pinah 321km, Klein-Aus Vista - Luderitz 122km
    Comments:
    The route follows the C13 past Aussenkehr, through the Ai-ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park along the Orange River. Beautiful scenery here.
    There is only about 140km gravel road. The road is in very good condition. The bridge at the Fish River was washed away by the floods earlier the year, but repairs are underway and there is a road through. (Not a river crossing)
    The C13 is tarred from just before Rosh Pinah all the way to Klein-Aus Vista, and onward to Luderitz.
    IMHO this route can be done in a platkar.... NOT SWAMBO's, but it can be done.

Day 3
    Start: Klein-Aus Vista
    Destination: Hammerstein
    Distance: 349km (Only 4km tar!!!)
    Comments:
    This route follows the C13, then left onto the C27 just before Helmeringhausen (Yes we popped in there). Then Right onto D826 that will take you to Castle Duwisib. We then back tracked to the C27. (There is a filling station and road cafe here, I think it is called Betha)
    Made a right onto D827 that took us to C19 and eventually to Hammerstein.
    All roads were in good driving condition. The D routes mentioned are in better condition than some of the tar roads in Gauteng! Again, IMHO, you do not need a 4x4 vehicle to drive this route. (When dry)

Day 4
    Start: Hammerstein
    Destination: Walvisbay (Long Strand)
    Distance: 353km (Mostly Gravel)
    Comments:
    The route follows the C19 all the way to Solitaire, then left onto the C14 all the way to Walvisbay. There is some amazing scenery on this route!
    The C14 is in bad condition from Solitaire for approx 50km. (Mainly due to all the trucks on this stretch I think). Also there are roadworks for about 10km on this road where you will have to make use of a single track on the left side of the road. Again, IMHO, you do not need a 4x4 vehicle to travel this route.

Day 5 - 9
    We spent this time in Swakopmund. Drove out to Cape Cross (The salt road is in very good condition) & some drives out into the Naukluft park. All in very good condition.

Day 10
    Start: Swakopmund
    Destination: Windhoek
    Distance: 325km (Mostly Gravel)
    Comments:
    This route follows the B2 from Swakopmund & the a right onto the C34 (Towards Walvisbay) & then a left onto the C28 (Khomas Hochland) via Boshua Pass to Windhoek.
    At the start of the Boshua Pass there is a road sign stating "No Trailers, No Caravans, No Trucks". I was later to find out why.... there is a very steep section uphill. So if you are going to tow, rather do this route from Windhoek to Swakopmund, and ensure the braking systems on trailers work properly.
    Also note that you can take the C32 back to Karibib and the B2 as an alternative.
    Although the steep sections were slow going, the majority of this route is in very good condition.

Day 11
    Start: Windhoek
    Destination: Keetmanshoop (Quiver-tree)
    Distance: 504km (Mostly Tar)
    Comments:
    This route follows the B1 from Windhoek to Keetmanshoop. (Boring day as far as driving goes). Then take a left just before Keetmanshoop onto the M29 to reach Quivertree Forrest & Giants Playground.

Day 12
    Start: Keetmanshoop
    Destination: Ai-Ais
    Distance: 217km (Mostly Gravel)
    Comments:
    This route follows the B4 from Keetmanshoop, then a left turn onto the C12 & another left onto the C37. All these roads were in very good condition.

Day 13
    Start: Ai-Ais
    Destination: Melkbosstrand
    Distance: 782km (Approx 80km Gravel)
    Comments:
    The route follows the C10 from Ai-Ais, then a left onto the D316 and the B1 to the border. From there the N7 to Melkbosstrand.
    The D316 is in very good condition.

Some Trip Stats
    Total distance traveled : 4864 km, Approx 1200km gravel
    Total fuel bill: R6863.63
    Avg fuel cost: R10.02/l
    Cheapest Fuel: R9.68/l (Swakopmund)
    Most expensive fuel: R10.56/l (Springbok)
    Avg Fuel consumption: 11.3L/100km
    Tyre problems: NONE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day1 Route.JPG 
Views:	5275 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	118366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day2a route.JPG 
Views:	4135 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	118367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day2b route.jpg 
Views:	3978 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	118368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day3 route.JPG 
Views:	3985 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	118433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day4 Route.JPG 
Views:	4115 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	118434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day10 Route.JPG 
Views:	3803 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	118444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day11 Route.JPG 
Views:	3922 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	118445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day12 Route.JPG 
Views:	3883 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	118517  

Last edited by Papsak; 2011/10/28 at 09:20 AM.
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Papsak For This Useful Post:

Will be waiting, with baited breath, to hear more. Looks very much like the route we wil follow in reverse. We leave from Blouberg for Namibia on Friday ...
    Regarding the roads from Luderitz to Noordoewer which route would you recommend for being the quickest and/or the most enjoyable - the C13 through Rosh Pinah to Aus or the C37 & C12 past Ais Ais (Fish River Canyon) through to Seehiem?

When heading north on the C13 from Klein Aus Vista, make sure that after about 50km you turn left onto the D707, rather than continueing through Maltehohe. You will not be dissapointed.

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

By the way, did you know that Namibia has 5400km of tar road... AND .... MORE than 37000km of gravel roads!!!
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Hi Papsak
    Can anyone advise on the route between Etosha to Swakopmund via Outjo.
    If I do not want to take the main route through Karibib what is the other route like,I assume its all gravel roads through Vingerklip.

I will be in a 4x4 but 5 hrs on gravel can get much if you know theres a tar alternative
    Yellow Fin For-TUNA
    2008 3.0 D4D 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rjnel88 View Post
    Hi Papsak
    If I do not want to take the main route through Karibib what is the other route like,I assume its all gravel roads through Vingerklip.
    I will be in a 4x4 but 5 hrs on gravel can get much if you know theres a tar alternative
    Eerste deel teerpad, dan goeie grondpad. Namibie se paaie is beter as SA paaie. Jy sal maklik ry.

Lekker vakansie hou!

(As jy bang is vir die grond paaie kan jy teerpad ry via Omaruru dan Karibib, Swakopmund)
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Hi Papsak
    Most people take the route Etosha - Outjo - Khorixas - uis - henties - swakop
    Tar up to Khorixas, then gravel up to Henties, then salt from there

The all tar alternative is outjo - otjiwrango - omaruru - karibib - usakos - swakop

Time wise the two above are about the same.

The route Etosha - outjo - vingerklip - omaruru - karibib - usakos - swakop is going to be the longest one time wise. And not the best route in the rainy season as the D roads from vingerklip to omaruru can get very bad and even impassable.

tar from etosha to approx 20km before vingerklip, then gravel to omaruru and tar again from there.
    Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2012/03/07 at 12:59 PM.
    "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart will always beat to an African drum...

Hi Papsak
    Ek ry graag tot in Henties en dan die C35 tot Khorixas dan die C39 tot Outjo en dan C38 tot Etosha - 540km
    Sleep n shack agter n Landy