Newbie planning a nostalgic trip back to Zambia with my 16 yr old son

Default Newbie planning a nostalgic trip back to Zambia with my 16 yr old son

Firstly, Hi to everyone Just joined today and would like to appeal to all out there for their knowledgeable advise and suggestions with a trip I have in mind.
    To begin with some history:

• Was born in Malawi
    • Grew up in Ndola, Zambia having done my schooling as a boarder in England then Cape Town where I matriculated. Have been here ever since.
    • Married with 2 kids, daughter in varsity and son going into grade 11 next year.
    • My biological father still resides in Mufulira in Zambia.

I have such fond and wonderful memories growing up in Zambia. My Grandparents were located in Lusaka and I spent many a holiday with my Oupa at the Kafue National Park, Kafue River, Kariba Dam, Luangwa Valley and even got to catch a 36 pound Nile Perch at Kasaba Bay! Regretably my Oupa has gone to the big game lodge in the sky along with all the details of where we travelled and stayed. I would like to visit my biological dad whom I have not seen for about 35 years and introduce my son to his Oupa that he has never met, show him the country I grew up in and do some father son bonding in the process. What better way I thought than to do a road trip. This is where I need your advise please:

• Have a pre facelift Colt Clubcab 2.8 Tdi 4x2 (diff lock) early 2000 model, +- 160 000k's on clock, clutch replaced, injectors recently replaced serviced etc, cylinder head replaced straight after the warranty expired, has run like a dream ever since. This is a spare vehicle.
    • Would like to do a trip from Cape Town, through Namibia, through Botswana, into Zambia, up to Mufulira, back to Ndola. SLNP, Lusaka, Maybe KNP, Vic Falls, Mana Pools, through Zim and back to Cape Town.
    • Accomodation, camping where possible.
    • Recommended school holiday to go?
    • Recommendations on places to stay?
    • Will the 4x2 be good enough to handle the trip?
    • Minimum retro fitting to be done to vehicle (will definately try for alu cab and roof tent)
    • Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading the post, I have spent some time browsing the site and I must say the bug has really bitten now, I can see my credit card curling at the edges already!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone on here seems very knowledgeable and helpful and look forward to becoming part of the family.
    Tony Weaver suggested I post my "dream itinerary" and get advice and suggestions from "the brains trust"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh you are going to be so shocked and you will have to come up rather "oopkop" not to go into total depression....please dont compare today with your yesterday memories

I will have a look at it a bit later

A quick comment.

You cannot safely drive from Mfuwe - Kariba in 1 day
    Consider doing Kariba via Bulawayo to Francistown to make up some days and maybe also stay 1 day longer at the falls.
    At Divindu also consider Nunda, the camping area is good

You can get from Livingston to Muf in 1 day if you leave early say 7 and by doing that you will save another night but you will miss out on black lechwe which can be seen at Nsobe.

The number of days you have listed will only be do able in December I think, not sure of the school holidays. December is actually my favorite as the place is green, animals are happy and the grass still not that tall and the air is clean Main roads will be do able in SLNP.

The alternative is June/July, dry, dusty, smoke and fires all over the place........you guessed it I don't like the winter months. December or April/May is the best months in Zambia from my point of view.

Next time you do an update, please copy your route in the body of your post so that its easier to view

The route you will be following can be done in a car so your vehicle is good.

BTW, welcome to the forum!!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2011/10/25 at 07:34 PM.

Default Update: Newbie planning a nostalgic trip back to Zambia with my 16 yr old son

Thanks for the feedback Mfuwefarmer I am under no impressions it will be the same as the good old days Have tried to keep in touch with people that travel in and out of Zambia but everytime I hear or read about the place my heart gets a funny iggly jiggly feeling Considering this trip I took a few factors into consideration:

• When to go? Dec/Jan would be best however interferes with Xmas and New Year, June/July holidays next best bet but not 1st prize.
    • How much to do? If the old bio dad lived in Livingstone or Lusaka the trip would be a dream, living in Muf makes it alot more demanding along with alot more options. Do as much as possible in this time or gun for Muf and do a little bit here and there on the way, plan a later trip to do the more interesting stuff? However teenagers are only around for a certain time then they're off into the wild blue yonder. Easiest option is to catch the new direct flight to Ndola, hire a car, drive to Muf and fly out again but theres no sense of adventure in that!

Any suggestions on the Mfuwe - Kariba leg?
    Is there a quicker way to get from the Copperbelt to SLNP without going via Lusaka? If so which route and should there be a stop over enroute?
    Makes sense to do Kariba to Francistown via Bulawayo.

Herewith Itinery for planned route:

Day 1) Cape Town to Grunau (Namibia). Overnight at Canon Road Campsite. 880kms.
    Day 2) Grunau to Windhoek. Stop off at Fish River Canyon enroute. No idea where to stay in this area, any suggestions? 700kms. Overnight.
    Day3) Windhoek to Etosha National Park. Stay at Etosha Safari Lodge & Camp. 320kms.
    Day 4) Spend day at Etosha. game viewing etc.
    Day 5) Etosha to Divundu. Overnight at Rainbow River Lodge. 707 kms.
    Day 6) Divundu to Vic Falls via Katima Mulilo Border post. Stay at either Maramba or Peregrine. 526 kms.
    Day 7) Spend day Vic falls, do all the necessary.
    Day 8) Vic Falls to Mufulira. 900kms.
    Day 9/10) Spend time with the family
    Day 11) Mufulira to Ndola. Tour around my old hometown. Overnight at Nsobe Game Camp. 120kms.
    Day 12) Nsobe Game camp to Lusaka. Tour around Lusaka, Overnight at Pioneer or Eureka. 360kms.
    Day 13) Lusaka to SLNP. Stay at Wildlife Camp. 680 kms
    Day 14) Wildlife Camp.
    Day 15) Wildlife Camp to Croc Valley. Not sure of distance.
    Day 16) Croc Valley.
    Day 17) Croc Valley to Kariba. This section is up for debate whether it can be done in a day. If not, suggestions please. 820 kms.
    Day 18/19) House Boat
    Day 20) Kariba to Livingstone. Overnight at either place did'nt stay at on the way up or book into good accomodation to be spoilt . 510 kms.
    Day 21) Vic falls to Francistown via Bulawayo. Any suggestions where to stay? 996 kms
    Day 22) Francistown to Vryburg (not sure which boeder crossing is best)< suggestions for overnight stop?. 744kms
    Day 23) Vryburg to Augrabies Falls. Overnight. 520 kms
    Day 24) Augrabies to Citrusdal. Overnight Citrusdal Warm Baths.630kms
    Day 25) Citrusdal to Cape Town. 180 kms. Home at last!

This itinerary is completely flexible, considered doing Kafue National Park and cutting out SLNP and Kariba House Boat, but that gives nore variety.
    Looking at this, as a first time overlander, whether flying to Ndola wouldn't be easier But that would be no fun at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not fly the old man down to Livingstone and save yourself the trip and expens of driving to the dreaded Copperbelt?

Ha Ha!!!! Good point Thought about it but would really like to see the Copperbelt again and also to show my son where I grew up. This trip has many nuances to it: See the ol bal, introduce him to his grandson, show the youngster my old stomping grounds and do a little father son adventure bonding in the process.