Nostalgic Trip To Plan

Default Nostalgic Trip To Plan

Firstly, Hi to everyone Just joined today and would like to appeal to all out there for their knowledgeable advise and suggestions with a trip I have in mind.
    To begin with some history:

• Was born in Malawi
    • Grew up in Ndola, Zambia having done my schooling as a boarder in England then Cape Town where I matriculated. Have been here ever since.
    • Married with 2 kids, daughter in varsity and son going into grade 11 next year.
    • My biological father still resides in Mufulira in Zambia.

I have such fond and wonderful memories growing up in Zambia. My Grandparents were located in Lusaka and I spent many a holiday with my Oupa at the Kafue National Park, Kafue River, Kariba Dam, Luangwa Valley and even got to catch a 36 pound Nile Perch at Kasaba Bay! Regretably my Oupa has gone to the big game lodge in the sky along with all the details of where we travelled and stayed. I would like to visit my biological dad whom I have not seen for about 35 years and introduce my son to his Oupa that he has never met, show him the country I grew up in and do some father son bonding in the process. What better way I thought than to do a road trip. This is where I need your advise please:

• Have a pre facelift Colt Clubcab 2.8 Tdi 4x2 (diff lock) early 2000 model, +- 160 000k's on clock, clutch replaced, injectors recently replaced serviced etc, cylinder head replaced straight after the warranty expired, has run like a dream ever since. This is a spare vehicle.
    • Would like to do a trip from Cape Town, through Namibia, through Botswana, into Zambia, up to Mufulira, back to Ndola. SLNP, Lusaka, Maybe KNP, Vic Falls, Mana Pools, through Zim and back to Cape Town.
    • Accomodation, camping where possible.
    • Recommended school holiday to go?
    • Recommendations on places to stay?
    • Will the 4x2 be good enough to handle the trip?
    • Minimum retro fitting to be done to vehicle (will definately try for alu cab and roof tent)
    • Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading the post, I have spent some time browsing the site and I must say the bug has really bitten now, I can see my credit card curling at the edges already!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone on here seems very knowledeable and helpful and look forward to becoming part of the family

Quote Originally Posted by Brufra View Post
    [*]Have a pre facelift Colt Clubcab 2.8 Tdi 4x2 (diff lock) early 2000 model, +- 160 000k's on clock, clutch replaced, injectors recently replaced serviced etc, cylinder head replaced straight after the warranty expired, has run like a dream ever since. This is a spare vehicle.[*]Would like to do a trip from Cape Town, through Namibia, through Botswana, into Zambia, up to Mufulira, back to Ndola. SLNP, Lusaka, Maybe KNP, Vic Falls, Mana Pools, through Zim and back to Cape Town.[*]Accomodation, camping where possible.[*]Recommended school holiday to go?[*]Recommendations on places to stay?[*]Will the 4x2 be good enough to handle the trip?[*]Minimum retro fitting to be done to vehicle (will definately try for alu cab and roof tent)[*]Any suggestions?
    [/
    All sounds perfectly feasible, so long as you are sensible about route selection - for example, you can go all the way from Cape Town to Mufulira on tar roads if you want to. You can certainly do Livingstone, sections of Kafue (I wouldn't take on the south, ie Nanzhila Plains, without 4x4, but the central and northern sections are fine in the dry) and SLNP - as long as you are sensible about it - all possible with difflock and high clearance.
    Best would be to work out a dream route and post it here and ask for comments. As for which holidays to go in, your best bet is probably June/July - terrible for Botswana bookings (but you won't be able to do the Chobe/Moremi tracks without 4x4), but no problem in Zambia. Without 4x4, you have to go in the dry season, as ordinary dirt roads turn nasty in Zambia in the rains.

Thanks Tony will work out a route and post