Rules in Kruger

Thread: Rules in Kruger

Default Rules in Kruger

We were looking at going down to Kruger and maybe Moz , so I started looking at the parks board web site , they have a section under public sightings where people can 'show others off breaking the rules' , now some of the pictures are totally valid but some are ( I think) totally unfair .like this one ,my question is what is this guy doing wrong
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I suppose endangering his own life by leaving his window open....
    He felt comfortable and someone else felt uncomfortable so they called him an idiot as per the picture name....

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

That's a bit too 'in your face' for my taste...but I wouldn't go as far as calling the guy an idiot.

Your answer makes sense ,so there isn't a rule that say's you have to have your windows closed when animals are near , are you allowed to get out of a car if the area is safe ie on a bridge , where there is a good vantage point etc or is that a big no no

That's a no no. Stay in the car at all times unless you are in an area where you may exit.

These areas are clearly marked and by exiting you do so at your own risk.

Default Rules in Kruger

I think the 'idiot' refers to the Lion; it's walking dangerously close to that platcar...

I thought he was being called an idiot for not having the camera up and firing away

Another rule in Kruger is: Don't shoot anything James... TIC except with your camera...

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by geraas View Post
    Another rule in Kruger is: Don't shoot anything James... TIC except with your camera...
    Eish , the head boy had me in the principals office and I got 6 before I knew what hit me . Seriously we were in lower sabi when the restaurant burnt down ( 15 years ago about),we were camping and had out tents raided by baboons , I shot one with a kattie and then I looked around and a warden was there , well I thought that was the end of the holiday for us , all the warden said was good shot now put that thing away before I have to take it away.

Quote Originally Posted by James Mackay View Post
    Eish , the head boy had me in the principals office and I got 6 before I knew what hit me . Seriously we were in lower sabi when the restaurant burnt down ( 15 years ago about),we were camping and had out tents raided by baboons , I shot one with a kattie and then I looked around and a warden was there , well I thought that was the end of the holiday for us , all the warden said was good shot now put that thing away before I have to take it away.
    I might add that I was a student at the time and we didn't have the neatest site so it was probably our own fault , I am sure the ranger had also had enough of people complaining about the baboons .

Found the rules , now I have to read them and decide if its possible to stay out of trouble .

Hahaha!

I think you're going to struggle James but good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Hahaha!
    I think you're going to struggle James but good luck!
    You are quite right Fanatic , how do all the 'boy racer's' do it you cant even have your elbow out of the vehicle let alone your head out of the sun roof.

Whats he doing wrong ?

LOOKING THE WRONG WAY !!!

RULE 1: After spending all day looking for a BIG MALE LION, at least look at it before he has to "grab your attention". GEEEZZZZ some people expect the animals to dance on their bonnet.

HAHA enjoy the Park.

Hi James,

Just do not try the kattie trick nowadays. They will "klap" you for hunting or poaching.

Get a map of the Park and all places where you may leave the vehicle are indicated on the map.

In the past we could leave the vehicle on the high level bridge over the Sabie +-12 km from Skukuza, but after a few lions that were crossing the bridge, ended up between the humans and their parked cars, it was discontinued.

As far as I can remember one can still do it on the bridge over the Olifants. I have never seen a lion on that bridge. I used to stop in the middle of the bridge (tightly against the left side) and pack out breakfast behind my vehicle. Great place to meet the day.

There are some great places where you can step out and relax and not see another human for hours.

I have seen many leopards disappear "forever" when a car stops and a person peeks out the sunroof. The moment the person's shape becomes visible, the animals become wary. When inside, even seated on a game-viewer, the human shape is not identified. They will smell you and hear you, but when the shape becomes visible, they (especially leopards) disappear or become restless and move off.

The animals in Kruger are much more used to vehicles than in Bots and are also more wary of humans. In certain parts of Kruger where the population outside poach a lot, the game even move away from cars.

Certain prides of lion are very tolerant and will hang around while cars are quite close and others will become irritated quite quickly and move away and "park" behind the same bush, just out of sight.

Sometimes one encounters a nitwit who plays animal noises on the audio-system of the car to draw an animal's attention. Invariably they chase away the animals. I have seen entire stretches of road in Kruger "cleared" of animals by such a person.

14 years as a nature guide in Kruger gave me a fair exposure to this great peace of land.

Enjoy it.
    Last edited by Mopani; 2011/10/27 at 03:39 PM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by James Mackay View Post
    Found the rules , now I have to read them and decide if its possible to stay out of trouble .
    Where can I find the rules?
    Are you allowed to drive through the Park with open jeeps?
    If not, are jeeps with canvas tops allowed?
    Platkarre with canvas tops?

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Default Soft top.

Soft top is allowed as long as you have your windows fitted (ie: not open on the sides)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Thank you!

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Hi James,

As long as the top is closed and the windows are closed at the gate, you will not have a problem. (Also depending on the gate)

Close windows when close to dangerous animals. No windows offer any protection against a lion. It is mainly because the reflection on the glass might make it impossible to see inside the car. Seeing inside is not really a problem, as the human is not natural prey anyway.

The way I see it is because there are so many people in the park the rules have to be more conservative . The bottom line is if you decide to go then you have to abide by the rules , The one I really like is no day visitors are allowed to bring in alcohol .