Die Ou Trekpad 4x4 Route

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Die Ou Trekpad 4x4 Route

Does anyone know the co-ordinates to this place's entrance? Apparently it's 5 km up the R304 on the way to Atlantis, but I don't know that road well, so I don't know what to look out for. It looks like it might be where there's a slight bend in the road, am I right? There's a points event there this Sunday, if anyone's interested...

According to Google Earth (confirmed with Mapsource) the entrance co-ordinates should be S3340'48.42" E1830'19.57"
    Andr
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Default S33 40.839 E18 30.333

Hi coordinates as above, you can't miss the entrance as they have built a lovely new entrance with white walls and planted palms there. The farm's name is "Vaatjie" look out for that. You are correct it is on a bend, this coordinates are from 04/112006 and they may have moved the entrance slightly to avoid that blind corner. I have got the whole route plotted out in mapsource if you want What is a points event?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Hi coordinates as above, you can't miss the entrance as they have built a lovely new entrance with white walls and planted palms there. The farm's name is "Vaatjie" look out for that. You are correct it is on a bend, this coordinates are from 04/112006 and they may have moved the entrance slightly to avoid that blind corner. I have got the whole route plotted out in mapsource if you want What is a points event?
    Thanks for the info, guys. Ashley, I thought it might be the place called Vaatjie, since I've seen that name mentioned here, and it also appears on the Easymap image of the area. Thanks for the offer of the Mapsource route, but I wouldn't really be able to use it. I did have a look on Google Earth though and if I could enter the co-ordinates there it would give me a good idea of where it is.

A points event is like a low-intensity 4x4 challenge for people who want try their hand at negotiating obstacles without having to run the risk of damaging their vehicles. It can still be challenging in the sense that you only have so much room to work with between the banner tapes, and obviously there's no guarantee that you won't get stuck! Points system is the same as in a challenge: You start each obstacle with 60 and points are deducted for mistakes until you have 0. Banner touch, 10 points; roll-back, 20, etc, etc.

Entrance fee for non-members is R50 and they are not eligible for prizes. I can forward you the e-mail about it if you're interested.

Clive and I have a day-trail booked for 23 June. Guys can pencil that in so long if interested,
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Default Points Event

I have done that trail five times , so I would have an unfair advantage. We were away the whole of last weekend on a trail so I need to do things at home, sounds like fun though, maybe I will come watch.

Finally had a chance to have a look on Google Earth and that is exactly where I thought it should be according to the directions I got in the e-mail. An almost imperceptible move between the two sets of co-ordinates provided by KB280DT and Ashley, respectively. Thanks again.

Only a pleasure
    Andr
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

How did the points event go?

It was fun, thanks, but I still tend to be a bit too cautious when the situation calls for me to give it horns, and then I get stuck. A couple of times I did get it just right though and then it went well.

We had one huuuge delay at the first obstacle when the mud at the exit turned out to be of that spongy kind that is almost pure water underneath and it almost swallowed a Suzi whole. I took several photos, but I still have to transfer them from my camera and upload them to Photobucket. Will post some later.

Here's the exit out of the first obstacle after the first competitor had to be recovered from it.

It looks muddy, but still OK.

Steve Page in Hot Stuff made it through without too much trouble.

The next guy had to be recovered though. Most of us realised we were dealing with a big no-no when it took a Cruiser and a Defender to get him out, so we abandoned the obstacle.

Don't show Leon Levitt a mud hole and tell him he can't do it though...

Snatching didn't work, so the Defender tried winching him, while using the Cruiser as an anchor, but that wouldn't work either, so the Defender eventually winched him out from the rear, getting a bit more lift that way.

Thanks , the photo's look good seems like a lot of fun was had. I am also too cautious when it comes to mud as you never know what is inside the mud i.e. rocks etc

Yep, there were more muddy patches in some of the other obstacles too, but nothing as serious as this one. It's amazing how treacherous the stuff can be, since some of the other muddy spots looked much worse than this one on first appearance, but they were actually pretty firm underfoot. A Rangie was the first to try this one, and as it came down the hill it just sank right down to the front bumper and chassis with one big SCHLUNK...

I'll try and post some more photos tonight.

The Disco coming down another obstacle and the Suzi going up. This Suzi wiped the floor with the Wrangler and me...!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Oly temps 016.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	4951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Oly temps 018.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	4952  

Hi All

Is this trail still on the books for Saterday the 23rd? How may people are going so far?
    Sander<br><br>'96 Range Rover 4.0 SE<br>Full OME kit & ARB Locker<br> Snyman 4x4 Custom Bumpers & Sliders<br>Hercules ATR 265/75/16<br>GME GX300 29MHz & FD-150A VHF Radio

Unfortunately not

The group that were doing the organising (Clive) informed me that it's fully booked. There are a couple of forum okes going but there were too few spaces open to warrant posting an invitation here.

The problem is that apparently another group was booked for the day as well so our group had to be halved.

Pity, oh well, something to put on our wishlist for trails in the near future!

Tks Spike for the fast answer!
    Sander<br><br>'96 Range Rover 4.0 SE<br>Full OME kit & ARB Locker<br> Snyman 4x4 Custom Bumpers & Sliders<br>Hercules ATR 265/75/16<br>GME GX300 29MHz & FD-150A VHF Radio

Can anybody supply me with the contact details of the Ou Trekpad Route? A Google search gave a site address www.outrekpad.com , but the site seems to be under construction. Some nice photos but the contact details are blank.

Default Details

Contact Nico Stofberg on 082 454 3631, The Ford Club is going there on Saturday and hopefully there should be a new 3l Supercab with us.

Ashley, you must be the okes that we are sharing the trail with. I'm going with Clive's crowd, together with Jacque etc.
    Last edited by Spike; 2007/06/20 at 07:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast