DC - DC Chargers - Which one? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am no technical fundi. so bear with me.

I have the BC1212-15 installed by Jean Thiart.

I have two 90 amp Hi cycles connected in parallel (so 180 amp hour), these two batteries are in the back of the bakkie, my two Engel 40's get power from them when stationery.

The BC1212-15, whilst the engine is running after 1 minute disconnects the fridges from the batteries and do the fridges then run form the alternator ( I think) and then the BC1212-15 charges the two 90 amp hour hi-cycles which actually is one 180amp hour battery.

Jean also put in a cut out switch if the batteries drop below 70% I think.

Just did the Kgalagadi and did everything work perfectly.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

What Koebel is describing is the reason I went for the 1212-15. I had a system before that always left me with flat batteries. After reading a previous thread by Koebelwagen everything started to make sense and I installed the 1212-15. I never looked back.

This is how the 1212-15 will start it's cycle as it is a 4 stage intelligent charger.
    Trickle before bulk charge0-10%
    Bulk charge10-90%
    Fill charge (also known as "over charge")90-99%
    Float charge100%

Attached the charge algorithm or intelligent charging plan.

With the load shedding function all the power requirements are transferred to the alternator/main battery. The 1212-15 now only have to charge and condition the aux batteries. No gassing or overheating and batteries full after a short period.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CasperDP View Post
    .......and batteries full after a short period.
    Casper what is a short period and how flat was the battery?

My opinion is that due to the charge cycle of both the Ctek & BC1212 that it will take a reasonably long time to recharge a flat deep cycle whilst driving and for the long road that is fine. But to have a flat recharged in the bush or camping at the coast in a remote area using either will make less sense.

Maybe the OP needs to consider alternatives, ie 2nd battery if he is not going to stay for more than 3 - 4 days without mains or solar or even solar combined with 2nd battery if he will be without mains for an extended period.

I have 250S in the Cruiser solely not to destroy the battery with excessive charge from the old NL system and at my destination I always hook up to solar and yes I also carry extra batteries.

I also have the BC1212 charger and use it with a Royal 102aH battery. This powers a fridge and an inverter.
    I have also never had a problem with the battery runnig flat and it charges up surprisingly quick on the BC1212 if you drive very little for a day or 2 in a camp.
    2003 Disco 2 TD5 GS A/T
    2011 Jurgens XT 140
    2008 Kawasaki Z750

Mfuwe, the 1212-15 has a low voltage cut-out so I never completely drain my batteries. From cut-out to full will roughly take 6 hours of constant driving. Even when camping for more than a few days the one or two hours of driving per day is enough to get the batteries up again. Maybe not full but enough to keep me going until I drive for a longer period again. Because the 1212-15 has load shedding all the energy of the charger is used to charge and not run fridges etc at the same time.

If you are going to be stationary for a week without driving it is logical that you will need solar to trickle your batteries. But how many of us will not drive for a week when in the bush. This is actually two different issues and applications.

The question that started this thread was wich DC-DC charger to use and that is why we discuss the pros and cons of the two units available. I was in the same situation with the NL as in the first post, but I learned through experience.

Thanks all for the help. I am a lot crearer now. Weighing up the pros and cons and costs I have decided to go the BC route.
    The up side for me on the BC route is that I will get support and advice over the phone or via email from JT, whereas this is unlikely with C-Tek
    I think the decision is made 8)

The CTEK DC-DC is a 20amp Hr charger with full dual battery functionallity (built in isolator) full 7 step charging with float and pulse mode and the option to add a solar panel, no gassing as the heat censor reduce the voltage See website CTEK.COM
    Henry

Henry, Can you maybe elaborate on the capabilities of the CTek. ie does it disconnect the load as well before charging the Aux batteriy. This would make sense to me since intelligent chargers apparenly "read" a batteries status before deciding on the charge. If for e.g. a fridge is connected, switching on and off, it would disturb the actual state of the battery.

I'm not a battery or charger fundie but just asking. At the price the Ctek should be able to do more than the BC.?

++ Hee-hee!

where do I find these chargers, I have seen the Ctek at on of the stealers but has never heard of BC before
    Jan

3.0 D4D 4x4 D/cab
    Die ugab en Lesotho se sneeu is die Hilux se baas

Quote Originally Posted by CTEKSA View Post
    The CTEK DC-DC is a 20amp Hr charger with full dual battery functionallity (built in isolator) full 7 step charging with float and pulse mode and the option to add a solar panel, no gassing as the heat censor reduce the voltage See website CTEK.COM
    Henry
    Henry, we would appreciate your response to Jambo's comment. What is your response to the "load shedding" function of the BC? From the comments above, it seems the BC charges at a accepteble rate.

I am using a Ctek charger with inverter in my ranger which one I don't know but who cares it works
    Corne

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Van Mieghem View Post
    .... I am not sure why you write that it would unlikely to get advice on CTEK...
    With regards to your choice of BC or CTEK route.. I think there are three main differences : 1. Output Amps : BC 1212-5 provides 7.5 A vs. CTEK 20 A 2. Voltage output : BC 1212-5 in bulk charge 13.7 V vs CTEK 14.4 V 3. Solar input option is an extra feature.
    The higher voltage combined with 20 A max output will reduce your charging time of aux batteries drastically - typically on a 145 AH battery CTEK will fully charge in approx. 2.5 hours vs 8.5 hours on 13.7 V output... Last but not least besides charging quickly the CTEK does also still runs through it desulphation mode keeping your battery " clean " meaning it eliminates sulphur build up on your cells inside the battery thus extending the life time of the " not so cheap " deep cycle battery. With regards to the load shedding feature - I am afraid that function is only there due to the slow charge rate of the aux batteries - no need for load shedding with the CTEK chargers - it can easily charge and maintain aux batteries. If no charge is provided the DC unit will switch off at 12.9 V after 10 seconds and protect your cranking battery always. Last but not least the CTEK D250S Dual needs an input V of 13.3 and will output 14.4. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any more information on our range of CTEK chargers. Best regards Bob Van Mieghem - CTEK Africa
    Thanks Bob for shedding some light on the issue. Just one question you mentioned about 2.5hrs to recharge 145a/h battery 50% drawn down to about 90% state of charge as opposed to fully charge, as the remainder would take quite a while to "fill-up"?

Bob, thank you for explaining the working of the C-Tek. However I find it bad taste to knock your oppositions product and then also with the wrong information.

1. The BC1212-15 is a 15amp charger. Have a look at the fotos attached of my installation showing the unit charging at 15amp.
    2. Again look at the fotos and see the voltage the BC1212-15 is charging at. Just under 14,5V.

The BC1212-15 is also a intelligent charger that will desulpher your battery to keep it clean. The load shedding function helps with the process as there is no current being drawn from the battery while this is done.
    The loadshedding also ensure that the battery get the full charge for charging therefore getting the battery full in a shorter period.

What you do not mention is the low voltage cutout the BC1212-15 has. People in the know will tell you that once a battery has gone below 11,5V (about 50% of battery capacity) it will take about 12 hours to get a high cycle battery full again 24 hours for a Deep cycle. The reason for this is explained in Koebelwagens post. This low voltage cutout (the C-Tek don't have) will ensure that the expensive battery is protected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charger.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	118347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	118348  

Quote Originally Posted by CasperDP View Post
    ......... This low voltage cutout (the C-Tek don't have) will ensure that the expensive battery is protected.
    How sure are you that the Ctek does not have this feature??

Anyone looked at some of these options?

http://www.rectifier.co.za/Battery%20Chargers.html

To have power available is very important to me and I will always try and make sure that I have the best available.
    I therefore will test whatever is available also the C-Tek and I can tell you that the unit I tested had no low voltage cut-out. So yes I am pretty sure.

Confirmed, just cheked my Ctek manual, it does not have a low voltage cutoff.

But then again it is an intelligent battery charger and not a battery monitor. In my case the NL freeser has a variable cutoff setting which combined with the NL dual monitor with the alarm system works just fine.

I wonder why the manufacturer of the BC charger in its spec sheet sates its a 7.5 amp charger?

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Totally sure, I have one.

______
    Eggie.

What is the retail cost of the BC v Ctek charger? Would be interesting to know and who retails the BC?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast