Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Madman EMS2 for TDI 300

Hi Guys

I have received my ems2 with 300tdi kit to monitor: EGT, Coolant temperature, coolant level, engine oil pressure, and transfer box oil temperature

Is there anything else i require?

The installation manual isnt great, and has zero pictures to make life a little easier.

Does anyone by any chance have images or a decent manual would be very helpfull

thanks

Not sure how it differs from the td5 - but I had to get longer bolts for the coolant sensor adapter as well as silicon sealant.

Make sure to earth it properly otherwise you will get false readings especially from the oil pressure sensor.
    Defender 110 Puma
    BMW 320i
    Yamaha XT660z
    Gautrain

Thanks Ja the coolant temp sensor it different on the TDI if im not mistaken.

I managed to find some youtube vids for the EMS1 which is very similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyJj..._order&list=UL
    Last edited by frogstar; 2011/10/17 at 12:37 PM.

What the video dont show is that when you do the oil pressure switch, it is better to drain the sump, remove filter and do the Tpiece installation without the filter. Also connect the wire to the oil pressure sensor before refitting.

I did it without removing the oil and filter, besides the face full of oil, it took 30 minutes to get the wire connected in that odd position.

Further,, the water level switch is two self tapping screws into the expansion tank, about 30mm under the water level. Not that floating level switch
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

thanks for the tips ob, i'll do an oil change while im at it.

Ja the float switch took me a while to work out.

In the video he installs the float below the halfway seam on the expansion tank, but i think your suggested possition of the two screws is better? So i simply run the brown wire from the ems to the one screw then a wire from the other screw to earth.

Where is the best spot on the block to earth the actual EMS? Where the batery cable is earthed on the transfer case? or is there a better place for this?

and lastly where did you place the unit on your consol?
    Last edited by frogstar; 2011/10/19 at 07:08 PM.

Screws above the pipe that feeds coolant to the system, on the left of the expansion tank (Facing from the front it is right) half way between the seem and the bottom of the tank

I earthed mine on the engine block. The wire from the monitor to the first screw, the second screw earthed. Simpler than a float switch

EMS monitor also earthed on the block. I guess the battery negative will work, but earthing it on the block means one bundle of wires trough the firewall, straigt into the engine bay. It is the simplest.

Attaced is a GIF pic of my install. I had an empty lot on the right. Moved stock gauge there, replaced the middle with the Madman. The slot had to be modified, tie round bit going into the dash is wider than the standard 50mm gauge. You could also hide the square bit behind, but to me this is looking better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

ok cool so i take out the standard temperature guage and place my ems unit in its place. Perfect.

Ok will find a spot on the block somewhere to attache the earth.

thanks again

I asked my LR mechanic if he would install the EMS2 for me. He reckons the LBB with just the coolant level monitoring is all I need. He said that 99% of engine recons he had to do, was due to loss of coolant.

Is he correct or should I just follow this thread and do it myself?
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Im not really the guy to ask but I went with the madman because of the realtime readings and the EGT which is apparently a very good indicator.

Some guys are happy with the LBB. Imvubu has the lbb and he is happy with it if i remember correctly. chat to him

I have spent the entire day today checking out the installation and it doesnt look like a difficult job at all.

EGT is the main thing. European forums, especially UK does not think much of EGT either, but in SA at altitude with hot ambient temps, and thin dry air I think it plays a role in forced induction engines.

Often the question LBB vs Madman gets asked. My personal prefrence will be Madman, especially for a first timer in a Tdiesel. It will change your whole driving style. My next unit will probably be LBB on the V8 for two reasons
    1) Cost
    2) I learned all I need from the Madman in the old Defender

Orra call sign B226

OB

One other thing did you decide to monitor the oil temp or the transfer case temp? Im thinking of doing the transfer case as recommended by madman and then i can earth to the gearbox as the batery cable earth is right there.

Hi frogstar

Did mine myself, not difficult. Put those self tapping screws atleast 30mm below the normal level (seam). The installation manual says 10 - 20 mm, which I did, but I get a beep everytime I stop to quickly or going down a steep hill. (atleast I know it works) Those self taping screws work well, it seals and I have had no prblems.

Also, did you get a external buzzer.? The one on the unit is way to soft for a Tdi!

Here's were I installed mine:

Took out the clock and made a new face out of perspex. Worked well.

1997 TDi Defender 90

one thing about the water level, i never know where to fill mine to as the expansion tank has no level markers. Mine is way above the seam. Is the seam the max level?

On my TD5 Defender I can only fit the EMS2 where the current temp guage is. But apparently you have to modify the hole a bit to make it fit. I was hoping to fit it somewhere without having to modify the dashboard.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

i want to put my ems2 there where the current temp guage is, it makes the most sense. i dont like having it down near the lighter as it will be a mission to keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Hi frogstar

Here's were I installed mine:

Took out the clock and made a new face out of perspex. Worked well.

Nice job, i need to give it some more thought. is there any advantage in keeping the old temp guage i wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    Nice job, i need to give it some more thought. is there any advantage in keeping the old temp guage i wonder?
    Only advantage is not having to modify that part of the dash. For when you want to refit the old temp gauge when you sell the vehicle. Well that was my reasoning for not fitting it there...
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

I did not want to modify my dash. Wanted to be able to remove the EMS if I had to. Would be nice to keep an eye on it all the time - you can't do it when it's next to the lighter. BUT it's easy to just glance every now and then.

Fitting it next to the lighter required no permanent modifying. I can simply put back the original black plastic cover and useless clock.

1997 TDi Defender 90

Alternative get a single mud pod on top of the dash. It is greadt for keeping an eye on things, and I could hear the EGT alarm from the dash mount at 120 upwind with all the noise. You will not hear it from the center. There is IIRC the purple wire that you can use to power a louder buzzer

Orra call sign B226

Thanks guys, decided to go with replacing the old temp guge position.

They recommend you connect to the positive from the ignition, would it be a good idea to add an inline fuse and if so what size?

And which point on the ignition exactly is the positive. I was thinking of just running it from the radio positive?
    Last edited by frogstar; 2011/10/19 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast