Raad asseblief?????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Raad asseblief?????

Ek wonder is daar dalk iemand wat kennis her oor hoe `n oorsee voertuig in SA gerigistreer kan word. Vriende van my van Duitsland het vir my `n Mercedes Gelanderwagen 350 1993 model gegee. Die probleem is dit is `n linker hand stuur. Ek is in besit van `n Carnet de Passage maar dit gaan verval en ek wil graag vir Rommel op my naam kry, ek kry verskillende opinies wat nie rerig sin maak nie. Help ASB

Not going to happen.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

andre` Guest

I agree. Not going to happen.

Henris

Is daar net geen manier om dit te doen nie, of is dit net nie die moeite werd nie?

Ek het familie in die UK, en wou bitter graag n ouer sportskar oor bring vir n restorasie projek.......
    EX: Mitsu Man

Gerhard de Lange

2014 Isuzu KB 250 DC 4x4
    2013 Isuzu KB 300 Club
    2003 Defender TD5 with everything.(My 4x4)
    2005 Hyundai Getz
    1962 Land Rover Series 11A 109 Inch (My project)
    1962 Land Rover Series 11A 89 Inch (My other project)

If it classifies as a vintage, yes you can bring it in. This is how the guys are bringing in the FJ40 LC's.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Ag it's not a problem, just put fake plates on and drive it... Like our deputy chief of Metro police does here in Pretoria

Bring it over and use it as a play thing for traiks ect. Get a trailer to pull it with or pull it with an A frame.

Importing a 2nd hand into SA is not easy. A 2nd hand left hand drive is imposable.
    Kobus

Nissan

Quote Originally Posted by Franskruger View Post
    Ek wonder is daar dalk iemand wat kennis her oor hoe `n oorsee voertuig in SA gerigistreer kan word. Vriende van my van Duitsland het vir my `n Mercedes Gelanderwagen 350 1993 model gegee. Die probleem is dit is `n linker hand stuur. Ek is in besit van `n Carnet de Passage maar dit gaan verval en ek wil graag vir Rommel op my naam kry, ek kry verskillende opinies wat nie rerig sin maak nie. Help ASB
    You might want to dig around on this forum:

http://www.mb4x4.co.za/forum/

as the guys there have dealt with similar issues in the past. It is becoming more and more difficult to import cars into SA especially LHD.

The import duties alone can be prohibitive. I guess since you were given the car you might be able to pay the duties.

If it is a G350 turbo diesel and in good condition I know that they sell around ZAR300k. See (http://www.mb4x4.co.za/forum/showthr...350GD-for-Sale)

Parts are generally easy to obtain from MBSA without issues. Normally if it is not in stock they will get is from Germany with a 10 day turn around. The G350 TD was never officially imported into SA and that motor was not used in any other Mercs (in SA) from that era. It does share some engine parts with the 3 litre straight six diesel OM603 motor from that time fitted to the W124 so you will be able to get service items (filters etc.) Also the brakes and running gear are the same same as the other G's. Trim items can be costly but generally they are no more expensive to maintain (if not cheaper) than a Toyota.

I will warn you that the 350TD motor tends to have a name for being problematic but I know of one that has run close to 300k km without and issues. It seems if you get a good one you are lucky and have a very nice motor for your G.

It might we be worth the effort to go along the vintage classic car route or register it in Bots and do it that way.
    Last edited by munga; 2011/10/20 at 12:18 PM.

Munga,
    Sorry going off the track, but have to ask the ques, do you have a Munga perhaps?
    Prado V6
    Willys cj2a 1946

I imported a Nissan Patrol from Zambia (UK version) and it took me two years and files as thick as bricks. The process started in 2001. Mine is a right hand drive. I believe left hand drives are vertually impossible.
    He who dares nothing need hope nothing

Verkoop hom tensy jy geld en tyd wil mors en nog steeds nie die voertuig kan invoer nie.

A while ago I had a problem with a car at the border on Zim side. They wanted all sorts of bribes.

Then I threatened to set it alight, right there in their parking area and they quickly changed their minds.

If you try and do anything "fancy/tricky" with an import, you will be burning that car in the traffic dept's parking area.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by Franskruger View Post
    I take it the car is here in SA already? Are your German friends moving to SA? If they are it might be easier for them to import it and "sell" it to you officially after the presribed period.

A good resource to consider: http://www.ritztrade.com/south-afric...egulations.php

Pre-2000 vehicles might have a better chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfie View Post
    Munga,
    Sorry going off the track, but have to ask the ques, do you have a Munga perhaps?
    No unfortunately not. Just a nickname I picked up...

A fellow American employee of mine brought his old F150 into SA, but via Zim. Got it delivered and registered in Zim and drove it to JHB. Maybe that could be an option for you...
    Tobie Malan

2004 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDi XLT 4x4 D/Cab (Pa se Trokkie (Dronkie)) 8)
    2007 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDi XLT 4x4 D/Cab (Ma se Swart Monster)

2006 Ford Focus TDCi Si Hatch (Ma se Besem) (Sold)

Why not do a RHD conversion on it and then then try register it. Conversions can be done - see also www.mb4x4.co.za

Impossible in SA if LHD and not registered by an ex-pat returning to SA.

Import Control Guidelines for the importation of used or second-hand vehicles, trucks, buses, taxis, coaches, engines, gearboxes, differentials and used or second-hand spares for heavy duty trucks

Most used or second-hand goods can be imported from certain countries at extremely low prices, for various reasons. In view of the low prices, the normal import duties applicable to the products concerned, is not an effective control instrument in the case of used or second-hand goods. Consequently, the importation of used or second-hand goods are subject to import control in terms of the International Trade Administration Act (Act 71 of 2002).

In considering applications for the importation of used or second-hand goods, the general principle applied is that import permits are refused if the goods concerned, or similar/substitute goods are available from local manufacturers.

The purpose of applying import control is to promote local economic activities and job creation.

Passenger vehicles, mini-buses, buses/coaches, light, medium and heavy commercial vehicles are manufactured/assembled in South Africa. About 90 000 people are employed in assembly and component manufacturing and this sector contributes about 10% of total manufacturing in South Africa. In view of the importance of this sector, strict control is applied to the importation of used vehicles and import permits are issued only in very specific and defined circumstances.

The prevailing import control policy with regard to the different categories of goods is as follows:-

(a) Used or second-hand motor vehicles for personal use.

Permits for the importation of used or second-hand passenger motor vehicles are issued in the following circumstances:

1. To immigrants for the importation of private motor vehicles. Imported vehicles may not be disposed of within a period of 24 months from the date of importation.
    2. To returning South African residents and nationals. The returning resident or national may import his/her used or second-hand vehicle to a maximum of three vehicles if he/she returns permanently to the RSA after a minimum uninterrupted period of absence of six months working, studying or conducting research abroad. It is also required that the vehicle be registered in his/her name for the minimum uninterrupted corresponding period of six months(working etc.) prior to the return. The imported vehicle may not be disposed of within a period of two years of importation.
    3. To physically disabled people to import a specially designed motor vehicle which will suit the disabled person’s personal requirements. Proof in the form of a certificate, issued by a medical doctor that the applicant is in fact disabled is required. Full details of the vehicle must be submitted and the imported vehicle may not be disposed of within a period of two years of importation.
    4. Inheritance: Permits are issued for inherited motor vehicles. The heir must submit a copy of his/her ID, a copy of the will, a copy of the motor vehicle registration certificate in the name of the deceased and a copy of the death certificate.
    5. Vintage vehicles and vehicles which are regarded as collectors’ items. Vintage vehicles can be described as vehicles of 40 years old or older. Vehicles regarded as collectors’ items are not so easy to define. All requests for the importation of such vehicles are, inter alia, discussed with the South African Veteran and Vintage Association, who comply with international criteria. Vehicles regarded as collectors items must internationally be considered collectors items.
    6. Racing cars: Racing cars may be imported by a racing driver. The proposed importer must submit a copy of his international, national or regional competition racing car driver’s licence as well as a copy of his identification document. Racing vehicles to be imported are those to be used for circuit or track racing events only.

(Note): No import permits are issued for the importation of used or second-hand motor vehicles for commercial/resale purposes or any other purpose falling outside of the specifically defined circumstances referred to herein above

(b) Specially designed vehicles..

Permits are issued for the importation of specially designed vehicles, for own use, for instance mobile cranes and similar vehicles if the particular type of vehicle or a similar/substitute vehicle is not available locally.

(c) Used or second-hand buses, trucks, taxis and coaches

Taxis, trucks, buses and coaches are available from local manufacturers. Import duty is not a suitable method of supporting local manufactures and guard against the disruptive importation of the above-mentioned used or second-hand vehicles.

Stringent import control measures are, therefore, maintained and no permits are issued for the importation of used or second-hand vehicles other than for vehicles mentioned in (a) and (b) above.

The existing policies are reviewed from time to time.

New vehicles (passenger vehicles), trucks, taxis, buses and coaches are not subject to import control. The applicable duties are however payable. The import duties on new vehicles are to be reduced over time.

(d) Used engines

Import permits for the importation of used petrol engines of an engine capacity not exceeding 3 000 cc and used diesel engines not exceeding 3 500 cc, are issued to a value of 50% of an importers previous years allocation as an initial issue for the current year.

(e) Used gearboxes

Import permits for the importation of used gearboxes are issued to a value of 50% of an importers previous years allocation as an initial issue for the current year.

(f) Used differentials

Import permits for the importation of used differentials are issued to bona-fide re-conditioners. All imported differentials must be reconditioned prior to resale.

(g) Used or second-hand spares for heavy duty commercial trucks

Import permits for the importation of used or second hand heavy duty commercial truck spares and parts are issued on condition that similar or suitable substitute spares or parts are not available from local sources or suppliers. The importation of used or second hand commercial truck/bus chassis are not allowed. Import permits for the importation of used parts such as diesel engines, gearboxes and diffirentials for commercial trucks are normally issued within a period of three to four workdays from receipt of a fully completed application form with supporting documents.

(h) General information

Persons/firms that wish or intend importing a used or second-hand vehicle and/or used or second-hand spares and parts are strongly advised, before placing an order or buying/shipping a vehicle or vehicle spares/parts to South Africa, to first apply for and obtain an import permit. In cases where the applicant clearly qualifies in terms of the above guidelines, and the correct documentation is submitted, permits are issued within an average of four working days. In other cases where the merits of the specific application have to be evaluated, it takes longer, depending on the nature of the particular case.

Import permit application forms are available from the Director: Import and Export Control, Private Bag X 192, Pretoria, 0001. Guidelines and application forms are also available and can be downloaded from the International Trade Administration Commission website. The address is http://www.itac.org.za (Import and Export forms). Further information can be obtained from the above address or by phoning Marius Collins at (012) 394-3617, Ms Ada de Beer at (012) 394-3619 or Ms Renè van Vuuren at (012) 394-3610.

NOTE: ALL IMPORTED VEHICLES ARE SUBJECT TO THE ISSUING OF A LETTER OF AUTHORITY BY THE SOUTH AFRICAN BUREAU OF STANDARDS AT (012) 428-7911.

Please note that these guidelines may change without prior notice.
    Import guidelines July 2006.

Marius Collins

+27 (0) 12 394-3617

or

Ms Ada de Beer

+27 (0) 12 394-3619

or

Ms Renè van Vuuren

+27 (0) 12 394-3610
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My advice: get it registered in a sympathetic neighbouring country (Swaziland, Lesotho or Botswana).

Then have it converted to RHD.

All you need to do is renew the license in the neighbouring country to stay legal.

HOWEVER: there might beissues with the Road Traffic Act and foreign registered vehicles.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Is dit n Auto of Manual?
    Chris Mans
    2007 Touareg 3.0 TDI
    2012 CanAm Commander 1000
    2014 Polaris Touring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast