Traveling to Vic falls

Default Traveling to Vic falls

Hi, I am new to this forum, but have introduced myself... I am still navigating my way through the forum so hopefully got to the right section. I need your help.

I want to take my softroader (2011 4x4 2.5 petrol Nissan Xtrail) to Vic falls via Botswana december and return through Namibia. We are planning on spending at least a week in Botswana and a week in Namibie. The plan is to camp every night. So, have a few questions:
    1. What paperwork is needed at the Botswana and Namibie border?
    2. Can you pay at filling stations with a standard bank petrol card? (if it is possible then my wotrk is paying for the petrol.. )
    3. What nice campsites are available in Botswana?
    4. What nice campsites are close to vic falls?
    5. What nice campsites are available in Namibie?
    6. What route will you recommend if you stay in Pretoria?
    7. Is camping safe in both countries?
    8. Is petrol clean in both countries?
    9. Would you take a car like mine through the Moremi and Savuti while pulling a normal trailer or would you rather stay on the main routes (please justify)?
    10. Is there relatively good cellphone reception in both countries?
    11. What else can be done in Botswana
    12. What else can be done in Namibie?
    13. Would Botswana officials be unreasonable and try to push for bribes?
    14. Would Namibie officials ne unreasonable and try to push for bribes?
    15. Any other tips from experienced overlanders?

Looking forward to your replies..

RedWolf, I'm not an experienced overlander, but will try and answer some of you questions. I do however think you should do a little more homework by reading through some of the postings in both the Botswana and Namibian section. Two weeks are way to short. M2cw. Answers in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum, but have introduced myself... I am still navigating my way through the forum so hopefully got to the right section. I need your help.

I want to take my softroader (2011 4x4 2.5 petrol Nissan Xtrail) to Vic falls via Botswana december and return through Namibia. We are planning on spending at least a week in Botswana and a week in Namibie. The plan is to camp every night. So, have a few questions:
    1. What paperwork is needed at the Botswana and Namibie border?If the vehicle is financed, you will need a letter from the bank giving you permission to take it out of the country. Else the registration papers.
    2. Can you pay at filling stations with a standard bank petrol card? (if it is possible then my wotrk is paying for the petrol.. )The petrocard will be accepted in Namibia. Botswana prefers ordinary creditcards. Just always ask first if they are online.
    3. What nice campsites are available in Botswana?Fist night just outside Francistown at Woodlands. Then in Kasane stay at Senyati for at least 3 nights. Use one day for a trip to Vic falls and the other for a daytrip into Chobe.
    4. What nice campsites are close to vic falls?Don't know
    5. What nice campsites are available in Namibie?Depends on where you want to go
    6. What route will you recommend if you stay in Pretoria?We normally go via Martinsdrift Borderpost. Make use of KwaNokeng to buy your border permit on the Botswana side.
    7. Is camping safe in both countries?YES!!!
    8. Is petrol clean in both countries?YES!!!!
    9. Would you take a car like mine through the Moremi and Savuti while pulling a normal trailer or would you rather stay on the main routes (please justify)?Not sure on this one and the X-Trail
    10. Is there relatively good cellphone reception in both countries?No. Some of the bigger places are however fine
    11. What else can be done in BotswanaYou need 3+ months to do and see everything
    12. What else can be done in Namibie?You need+ 3 months to do and see everything
    13. Would Botswana officials be unreasonable and try to push for bribes?No Never had any problems
    14. Would Namibie officials ne unreasonable and try to push for bribesNo Never had any problems
    15. Any other tips from experienced overlanders? Try and find as much info as possible before you finalise your trip

Looking forward to your replies..
    Enjoy the planning and please give some feedback once you have done it
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Don't even think of towing a trailer through Savuti and Moremi behind an X-Trail. Even without a trailer, you will battle through both areas because of a) no low range and b) the high middel mannetjie on the tracks.
    Many places in Nam will take a Garage card, but some don't. In Botswana, a credit card can be used for fuel in the bigger centres. Always ask what's available and online before filling up, and always carry enough cash to cover yourself in case of card refusal or failure.
    Virtually no security issues in either country, just take the usual precautions against petty theft in camp sites close to towns, especially in Kasane.
    You will have to try very hard to find an official in either country who wants a bribe.
    No special paperwork required for either country, except letters from the vehicle's owner/bank if you don't own it outright. Make sure you have copies of the original licensing document, insurance papers, etc. And what may seem like a dumb suggestion but isn't - make sure you have at least six month's validity on your passports.

Welcome Redwolf.

Your question 3: Don't drive past Khama rhino sanctuary, near Serowe, without staying for at least one night. It is a great spot......much more than just rhinos, and the campsites are fine. Woodlands is fine too, but it is just a stop-over. Elephant Sands is wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of Senyati, although the bar overlooking the floodlit waterhole is very pleasant. It was just one big sandpit when I was there, and it is a long way from the principle reason to be in Kasane.......the entrance to Chobe NP.

Your question 9: I don't know the XTrail, but the area around Savuti has deep, deep sand. I wouldn't attempt it without low range 4x4, and good ground clearance......and that's before you hook up a trailer. Someone will come on and tell you that they managed it OK in a Ford Fiesta, but I'm telling you you're asking for trouble if you go that way, alone, without a proper 4x4.

Your question 7: Well, it depends what you mean by safe! There are currently security issues at Ihaha in Chobe, but that is extremely unusual for Botswana, where tourists are much safer from their fellow humans than they are almost anywhere else. However, you should be aware that camps in Botswana are unfenced, and there are lots of animals. So, if the prospect of having elephants, hyaenas, hippos, baboons, lions, leopards, honey badgers, vervets etc in your camp makes you feel a little nervous, then maybe have a re-think. Walking to the toilets after dark is not a great idea.

13 & 14: No problems.

15: You need to be booking Botswana park places now for next year. Camping spots go very quickly.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

(Home) Fishoek, (Work) Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.

I was in all three of these countries touring a month ago for 2 weeks which indeed was too short as we had to keep moving all the time with sometimes long time periods in the car, which is ok with me but not for everyone.
    I used my credit card to pay for fuel everywhere, but you will probably need cash at very small places.
    Also try to make sure your card is a Visa card and not Mastercard as that seems to work everywhere even for drawing cash where Mastercard doesn't.
    Zimbabwe was the slowest going through the border as everything is done manually and in triplicate.
    Apart from what everyone said above, we also got a police clearance certificate for the car for going into Zim as this was recommended but we did not need it but better safe than sorry.
    Had no problems with corrupt police. Our only issue was confiscation of meat and sometimes Veg/Fruit/Fresh milk at the vet fences in Bots going both north and south. Use Long life milk and buy all of your meat in either Bots or Namibia.
    Probably better to be in a lodge at Vic Falls, Lokhuthula was very nice and reasonable too.
    Deep sand in Chobe and saw soft roaders get stuck. I did not do Savuti but i believe that is even worse.
    2010 Land Rover Defender Puma (Huberta), cos she too is big & has an adventurous & wandering heart.
    Lots of Bells & Whistles.