Rooftop tent solutions

loosetentpegs Guest

Question Rooftop tent solutions

Hi

I have been told that my standard THULE Rood Racks can't hold the weight of a rooftop tent. Thule advised that I should approach safari center or outdoor warehouse who said that I need to fit reinforced roofracks and quoted me in the region of R3500 to fit.

I am not all that keen on holes in my roof as I am only doing a 2 month trip and not 100% sure I will be overlanding into the future.

Are there any other solutions to fitting roof top tents? Or even somewhere else I could go to get a more reasonable quote?

I drive a Colt D/C and can't place my tent on my canopy as apparently that also needs reinforcing!

Thanks!

Running the risk of possibly ending up with more damage to your vehicle's roof by not re-inforcing it or having a possible inferior job done, I suggest to take a classic "ground-top" tent with.

Louis

Stock standard 99 Pajero 3.5

I would DIY the reinforcing on the canopy, but that is just me.

Those tents can be heavy. I prefer to have a proper RR anyway. Very benificial for a guy like me that has a 5door station wagon.
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

I made reinforcements for a guy in his canopy to take a roof top. It is much easier and you can even fix all the holes in the canopy later if you don't want to use them anymore. Much easier to fix glassfibre than the roof of your car!

My design was simple square tubing supports fixed to the loading bin floor, running up the sides and onder the roof of the canopy, thus placing the weight of the tent on the struts. Not an engineers design, but it held up the tent for many a trip.
    Gerrit Schoonbee
    98 Prado 3,4 V6 Auto, White, OME/Dobbinson Suspension, Snorkel (cheapy), packing system, BFG Muddies....all paid for
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Loosetentpegs, my standard Skytop canopy on my Colt is now carrying my RTT for more than four years. Without any re-inforcements. And this includes roads all over Kaokoveld and Damaraland. Only my 2cw. My RTT is a Howling moon for what it's worth.

what vehicle do you have?

there were a range of clamp on roofracks at one stage, I have one from Front Runner with my RTT on and it works perfectly.

maybe there is one out there you can borrow for the trip.
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.

......or wait for my new rooftent, which weighs around 35kg, I think.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

loosetentpegs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Williej View Post
    Loosetentpegs, my standard Skytop canopy on my Colt is now carrying my RTT for more than four years. Without any re-inforcements. And this includes roads all over Kaokoveld and Damaraland. Only my 2cw. My RTT is a Howling moon for what it's worth.
    Interesting! I have a CARRYBOY so might be worth investigating... Thanks!

loosetentpegs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    what vehicle do you have?

there were a range of clamp on roofracks at one stage, I have one from Front Runner with my RTT on and it works perfectly.

maybe there is one out there you can borrow for the trip.
    Will investigate this as well. I drive a Mitsubishi Colt D/C 2005 model. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by loosetentpegs View Post
    Interesting! I have a CARRYBOY so might be worth investigating... Thanks!
    AFAIK, Carryboy is rated to carry 250kg's. Had an Echo RTT on the Carryboy for many a trip, no problems at all.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

I've been using an Eezi-Awn 1.4m RTT on a Carryboy canopy (bought 2nd hand and I was told it was reinforced at the factory) installed on Frontrunner loadbars and roofrack for more than two years now. We have done three overlanding trips and many camping trips without any trouble. The secret probably lies in the load spreading loadbars onto which the frontrunner bars are installed. If you do go this route, make sure that the loadbars are shaped 100% to the canopy's curve. Reinforcing of the canopy can be done on the inside of the canopy using fibreglass. Someone on the forum can probably help with info on this aspect.

The only downside to my RTT experience has been the manual setup and removal because my garage doors are not high enough for me to drive in and hoist it into the roof space.

The only alternative I would consider for overlanding is an Oztent. It's no fun pitching conventional tents every day or two!

Good luck!

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

I agree with OB.
    Go the canopy route.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

loosetentpegs Guest

ok will look into this - thanks!