Third Party Insurance

Default Third Party Insurance

A question to the regular Zambian visitors. At the border one is suppose to buy 3rd party insurance at a cost of 391000 Kwachas. This was exactly what we did on our recent trip. On the form the person that was selling the insurance wrote both our truck's details as well as our trailer. En route to Kariba we were stopped in a roadblock. Guy went through all our paperwork. After a while we were told that the 3rd party insurance is not correct. We should have a seperate piece of paper for the trailer. It can not be on the same page as the truck. We told him that was how they gave it to us at the border. Got nowwhere. We were fined 540000 Kwachas. Not having enough Kwachas (only 380000 left), we offer the 380000 plus US$30. (In tens and ones - told them that was our last money). The official did not want the one dollar notes. Took the Kwachas and two 10 dollar notes and wrote the fine for 540000 Kwachas.
    Back to my question - do you need two seperate pieces of paper for the insurance or just one. Or had we been taken for a ride. The print on the fine is so "dof" one can not actually read what it says.
    If the fine are ligit (spelling), future travellers towing, please be aware. Make sure you get the right insurance forms at the border.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Good to have you back, Tina. I look forward to hearing all about your trip.

That insurance nuts! My annual 3rd party insurance in Zambia costs me 120,000Kw, from memory. But sorry, I can't answer your question about trailers.......

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Spook,

We paid ZK 113,000 in 2010 for 30 days entering from Ngoma and a similar amount also in 2010 entering at Kazungula (I don't have the exact figure but I was aware of the previous price so it can't have been significantly different). We drive a 110 Defender, no trailer. From the numbers I'm wondering if they gave you 3 months - without being asked?

We don't have a trailer but I found this link to Drive Out magazine from earlier this year.

http://www.driveout.co.za/destinatio...ia-border-post

We ran into problems with our Road Tax. This is a flat $20 whether you are on a trip to the Falls or crossing the whole country. We didn't know our route when we entered and he wanted to state a particular city/border crossing as our destination so he ended up writing our destination on the form as Lusaka. Of course we were stopped just outside Lusaka heading north and told our Road Tax was invalid. We talked our way out of it and as we ended up going back past the border post later in our trip persuaded the guy who sold it to us to amend the document to say Mchinji. If you're travelling all over get then to put something that will cover you on any part of the route eg Ngoma to Tunduma to Mchinji.

Hallo Spook
    I am sorry to say but I think you have been robbed twice!!
    The cost of third paty Insurance on a normal 4x4 L cruiser, Defender etc is ZK 130 500 unless you take it for 6 months to a year.
    The cost for a normal trailer is also ZK 130 500. Therefore you should have not paid more than ZK 261 000 in total.
    The agents normally put the vehicle and trailer on the same document therefore your fine was a fraudulant fine.
    Even our heavy vehicles horse and trailor is noted on one document.
    Our contact person for 3rd party insurance at Katima Zambia is Millicenc can be contacted on +260977142628
    Regards,
    Pieter du Toit

Tooi & Itchy, does the engine size make a difference? We've got a 4.2l Ford F250. Not that it would make any difference now, but in future, we would at least know. Thanks anyway for the feedback.

Hi Spook,
    No you dont pay more for your F250 on third party...only on carbon tax you pay more for a 4.2 versus a 3.0 etc.
    Also be careful of the words you use when requesting third party. When you talk about your "truck" you will pay for a TRUCK. Also the meaning of a commercial vehicle is different to our understanding of a commercial vehicle. In Zambia a commercial vehicle is classified as a vehicle used for bussiness and will cost more on third party insurance.
    Good luck next time.

Thanks Pieter. Next time I'll do some more homework before I leave. This was our first trip to Zambia.

Default Border Fees

We will be crossing into Zambia at Katima this Friday on our way to Liuwa. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of payment in Dollars and Kwacha at the border post? Thank you

Well, you did say ball park...........These prices are from a year or two ago. Carbon tax Kw 150,000, Road Tax R20, 3rd Party insurance KW 112,500 and local council levy R50. There is a new government in Zambia, and they are making noises about reducing this sort of burden for travellers, so could you please report back here with what you actually pay?

Many thanks

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd