Road around Maputo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Road around Maputo

I have heard there is an alternative road you can use to avoid MAputo when on your way north.

Anyone know about this??

Just after the first toll gate on the road to Maputo, take the turn off to Mohamba, its about 120Km of dirt road, in pretty good condition and it re-joins the road north at Manica

Can you take a trailer on this alternative dirt road?

If it is dry no problem.

Being a first timer to Moz, is it worth taking this road or is there something to see in Maputo?

Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but seeing as we're in the region I need to pick brains, we'll be heading from the Blue Anchor Inn (1 night stop over) to Ponta d'Oura via Maputo in December. Several people have suggested we take the ferry rather and take the 120km dirt road to save time...... Anyone done this, is this the better route?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Mitsubishi Pajero LWB GLS 2005 - fully rigged to take us anywhere and everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ty7 View Post
    Being a first timer to Moz, is it worth taking this road or is there something to see in Maputo?
    Yes, this road is definitely worth it. Maputo is too busy, taxis and pedestrians, and you will get pulled over a couple of times by the cops costing you time and money. Nothing much to see. We always take the Mohamba route if not going via Pafuri.
    2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S - Broken Crank
    2006 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD - SOLD
    1993 Toyota Hilux SFA V6 - Fuel Monster - SOLD

Im one of the people who have visited Moz at least 20 times since 1991 and have allways gone through Maputo, one day I will do the Mohamba route. Taking the EN1 going North through Maputo I have only been pulled over about 5 times and have never had any problems. Yes it takes an hour or more in thick traffic but that is part of Africa I suppose.
    Its always an experience to remember.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Are there any places to over night other than Honey pot they are fully booked, the other places I could find are located just outside of Maputo (Casa de Lisa, blue anchor) and I guess staying over at these places you will have to go through Maputo?

My other option is to sleep over near Nelspruit and leave early morning and drive straight to Morongulo is this possible? I've heard the border is open 24/7 over December, so I could be at the border 5am should also be less busy.
    Last edited by 7ty7; 2012/10/26 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but seeing as we're in the region I need to pick brains, we'll be heading from the Blue Anchor Inn (1 night stop over) to Ponta d'Oura via Maputo in December. Several people have suggested we take the ferry rather and take the 120km dirt road to save time...... Anyone done this, is this the better route?

Recheck your route.

Are there any places to over night other than Honey pot they are fully booked, the other places I could find are located just outside of Maputo (Casa de Lisa, blue anchor) and I guess staying over at these places you will have to go through Maputo?

My other option is to sleep over near Nelspruit and leave early morning and drive straight to Morongulo is this possible? I've heard the border is open 24/7 over December, so I could be at the border 5am should also be less busy.
    Normally if we go that route and need to sleep over it is usually at Honey Pot or Maxixe. However, the border will be open 24/7 during December and you could make the drive to Morongulo in one day. Roughly an 8 hour drive from the border.

We are going the Mohamba route in two weeks time up to Inhassoro and we will be driving straight through. I will post back when we return on the Mohamba road conditions.
    2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S - Broken Crank
    2006 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD - SOLD
    1993 Toyota Hilux SFA V6 - Fuel Monster - SOLD

I have given up going thru Komatipoort. I do the Swaziland border closest to komatipoort and although 2 border posts both have never taken me longer than 90 minutes to clear even in the very busy easter period.
    I then sleep over about 30 k's after entering Moz and leave the following morning at 4:30 allowing me to get thru Maputo before the heavy traffic and avoid the bribe cops.
    Have done this for the last 2 years and works everytime.
    Yet coming back komatipoort is a breeze
    Ross

I've heard the border is open 24/7 over December, so I could be at the border 5am should also be less busy.
    5AM is much too late if you want to avoid crowds at the border, its starts to get busy from at 4 already. 3am is a safer bet.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

I have taken that road a few times. I much prefer it to going through Maputo. AFAICR after the border you turn off at Ressano Garcia. Confirm the route, tho. My first time there the road was flooded making for an awesome intro to Moz It is/was slower, but shorter, takes roughly the same amount of time but is more of a bush experience IMO. They were in the process of upgrading it a while back.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.7L V8

Have a look at http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...=126555&page=2 Poast 22.
    read through and that can help you

@ Alicat : If you come through Maputo after 08h00 the queue at the Catembe ferry will be fairly short. Late afternoon you will sit in a long queue. On a Sat morning the morning rush to the south is quite thick.

@7TY7 : As long as you do not hit the end-of-working-day-traffic the going is easy. Just stay in the right hand lane.

Something to see in Maputo? My man, I can take you on a 4 hour, 8 hour or a 2 day city tour and have you clicking away with your camera non-stop. To do it on your own is a drag and frustration, UNLESS you plan to spend a day in the city and just chill and see it all.

If you wish to see the interesting places, plan to stay over. Study a guide book and then do your day-trip and check it all out.

Enjoy Moz!

Thank you for the advice guys. Do you have any suggestions on place to stay over around the border?

We have a place 6km south of Morrungulo and frequently drive through. However, since it is your first time, take time to enjoy the beautifulo country. Depends when you driving... if it is on the 14th / 15th of December when everyone is going, then 5am is too late. 3am is better. Even at 5am Maputo is already busy and frustrating.

My suggestion .. sleep in Komatipoort, relax, klap a few Mozzies, and drive the next day very early, using the Moamba road. At the Center ofr the town, you will see the main tracks turn right, so turn right and continue. Don't go straight through the town ...

Some people cross the Komati river on the new bridge, and drive on the northern side of the river. There was construction on that road about a year ago, if it is not fixed, then keep south of the river (Wait for Feedback from other member). Just keep on with the road after turned right in Moamba. Most GPS's do not know that this road continue to Macia .. ignore and continue.

WARNINGS - 1)
    At Some places the road is narrow. There might be Tractors and Trucks coming from the front, as there are HUGE Sugar Plantations & Factories.

WARNING!! The Railway near Magude is ACTIVE - Be CAREFUL, I nearly saw my dinges.

When at Morrungulo, bring your Coolbox and join us for a drink one day at Paz Da Alma (Peace of my Soul)
    http://www.facebook.com/PazDaAlma
    Live Life while you are Living .. just enjoy!

I Just love Mozambique, DriveMoz and my new Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post

Heading from where? Blue Anchor is North of Maputo, Ponta is very south of Maputo. The Ferrie is expensive I think and will still only take you over the Maputo bay .. I think. Then it is still a long road.

The road is dreadful .. 120km can take 6 hours or even more .... rather go to Swaziland back to SA and enter Moz from the south ... I think
    Live Life while you are Living .. just enjoy!

I Just love Mozambique, DriveMoz and my new Ford Ranger

Centurion - RSA / Freetown - Sierra Leone

If you have a car that can take a little dirt, don't want to drive through Maputo (which can be dangerous), have not heard of any serious rains in the area and would like to enjoy a scenic drive (which is actually much faster), go the Moamba road. Take note that there is a few blind corners, cows, dudes on bikes and other tractors and trucks. If you plan to drive at night, invest in some good spotlights. BUT, dim your lights if there is a guy on a bike or walking next to the road. They walk around without torches and rely on their night-vision. I drove the Moamba road a few months ago and I must say ever since I started using this road I will not go through Maputo again unless I have business there. I lived in Maputo for about two years so I really have seen enough of that city.

The closer you cross the border to 25Dec -1Jan the busier it will be. Don't for one moment think that the border will be quiet at any time close to XMas as there is thousands of people that argues: "I will hit the border at 01:00 to avoid traffic" I would suggest to rather aim for really late at night. The above is obviously from my personal experience and there is numerous factors that can and will influence the flow of people through the border on any given day. One stupid piece of advise is to wear your safety belt between the two posts as last year I have been pulled over in that area which I know as nomansland. It was a small fine and not worth my time to argue with the bloody corrupt [email protected][email protected] The condition of rest of the road should pleasantly surprise you but always be more aware on foreign roads. There's guys that drive like imbeciles and the hospital can be very far away, especially at night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast