4x4 trail for horses - Western Cape

Default 4x4 trail for horses - Western Cape

Hi All
    My husband and I are looking for beautiful routes that he can do with the 4x4 and I can do with my horse over weekends. We are looking for routes within 2-3 hours drive from Stellenbosch. Only requirement is that one can get to campsite/accomodation with a horsebox...And of course that horses are allowed on the property/route, which seems to be problematic for some routes. If you have any ideas of where we can go or any recommendations, please let me know! We will be going to Matroosberg in October, but are looking to do at least one such a trip a month.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can try Anysberg. A Cape Nature reserve close to Matjiesfontein. Not sure if they will allow your horse there because they got there own. The Tapfontein route is nice although pretty easy in a 4x4. Very nice area to explore.
    http://www.capenature.co.za/reserves...e#reserve_tabs
    Oscar Schmidt
    Mitsu Triton 3.2 DiD 4x4

Thanks Oscar, I will enquire about Anysberg! I am not keen to ride a different horse, want to take my own (too often the trail horses have saddles that doesn't fit well, not well trained and I just cannot ride a hungry horse - not saying this is the case at Anysberg.). Might be a bit far for just a weekend, but could definately work for a longweekend.

Default Re: 4x4 trail for horses - Western Cape

PM me. The 100+ha farm is in the Sandveld, past Moorreesburg. About 100km from Stellenbosch. The farm is called Klipbank (Stone Meadow Stud).

They (my dad & brother) have about 20 horses and 20 miniature horses. Breeding, training and selling, lessons and rides for kids etc. Offer stabling and grow and sell hay (hawerhooi).

The fynbos is so beautiful this time of the year. Oppertunity to ride to the river and swim with the horses, or just ride and camp in the veld.
    4x4 route available or you can camp where you want in the veld ( leave the horsebox at the farmhouse ).
    Bathrooms are not ready yet at the planned camp site, but rogue camping is possible.

Farm is very private as we don't do this on a comercial basis yet.

They had 1 group of 6 for wingshooting 2 weeks ago and friends and family for 4x4 and camping a few times.
    But PM me if interested. They would like to finish the camp if enough interest.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Swerkater For This Useful Post: