Kgalagadi - Page 156

Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56 106 131 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 3145

Thread: Kgalagadi

Default Re: Kgalagadi

Nossob campsite review live; https://youtu.be/m_oQP4Pykqs

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Spent 2 weeks (Aug) at the three main camps (will definitely do the Bots side later, more my cup of tea). Didn't have a great time purely because the folks that came with weren't enjoying it. Didn't do a trip video but reviewed the camps at least.

Enough of that though, temps ranged from -3 to 30 C, very dry. Windy but not as bad as I expected for Aug. Saw plenty of gemsbok, springbok, wildebeest, even kudu. Loads of jackal (most I've ever seen), lion, cheetah, meerkat, honey badger and giraffe. A few pics attached, more on Instagram; https://www.instagram.com/get.out.go/

Not crazy about the campsites. Nossob premium was good but I still prefer bush camps obviously.
    Campsite reviews;
    Twee Rivieren https://youtu.be/GnyjE01_EEA
    Nossob coming 17 Sep
    Mata Mata coming 1 Oct

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Thank you Paul and Christoff for your resent reports. We are booked first two weeks of November, Mata Mata, Nossob and Grootkolk. Cannot wait. Think I should take a couple of old tyres for the playful lions at Grootkolk.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

Re tyres - If you neighbour opens his makeshift "gate" lions can reach your 4x4. There is no chicken wire between the two parking spots. (see my pic) Both gates need to be closed. When leaving everyone should close their gate.

They normally have tyre games at night but best to be sure.

You should have a great trip and birding will be even better with more migrants!

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Thank you Paul and Christoff for your resent reports. We are booked first two weeks of November, Mata Mata, Nossob and Grootkolk. Cannot wait. Think I should take a couple of old tyres for the playful lions at Grootkolk.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Lots of dead tortoises in Kgalagadi at the moment.

Theory is that with the food shortage in the drought the honey badgers/martial eagles/crows are killing them.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Grootkolk lions - The female has gone towards Unions End with her cubs so keep a look out if you are driving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Lots of dead tortoises in Kgalagadi at the moment.

Theory is that with the food shortage in the drought the honey badgers/martial eagles/crows are killing them.
    This is very sad, but I guess how nature works. We saw a lot and I mean a lot of tortoises of various sizes in April. Maybe they were more noticeable due to lack of vegetation or they themselves were more active in a desperate search for food.

BTW we were at Kgalagadi lodge when they had the rainstorm in Nossob which you mentioned earlier, Paul.

You will need to share some catless photos on the Kgalagadi pictures thread
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    We always book no 3 ....but No 4 is right at the end ..We loved no 2 but got Sick and tired of chasing away NON residents who feel nothing about driving up the hill past the No entry sign and look around and use No 1 and 2 Toilets and if 1 is open the convoy has breakfast there ..I hate going on holiday to be a policeman but I hate disrespectful people more
    I have stayed there often and would never chase away anybody wanting to use the toilet. Wow !! What happens to the No entry sign when you travel in convoy and have breakfast at no.1 surely it is still there.

The No entry sign at Rooiputs is still there. It just gets ignored by all and sundry.

And this is my biggest issue with Rooiputs and why we tend not camp there: rubberneckers.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/20 at 08:44 AM.

Last year we stayed at RP2 for four nights. On our arrival it was obvious some traveler had the last garage pie and had an emergency run at RP2 toilet. It took two of our group with the strongest stomachs, a lot of clean green and water to get the facility accessible. Not a great welcome!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    I have stayed there often and would never chase away anybody wanting to use the toilet. Wow !! What happens to the No entry sign when you travel in convoy and have breakfast at no.1 surely it is still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Last year we stayed at RP2 for four nights. On our arrival it was obvious some traveler had the last garage pie and had an emergency run at RP2 toilet. It took two of our group with the strongest stomachs, a lot of clean green and water to get the facility accessible. Not a great welcome!

Being booked for Rooiputs 1 next year, this kinda puts a whole damper on looking forward to it. I was already thinking about beating someone up with no booking on our spot but now I also need to contend with:

The previous "humans" leaving their garbage and their siht (literally) for us
    Unwanted and unauthorized "guests" wandering through camp through the day
    Having to lock up everything in fear of things getting stolen

All this for "wild camping"?! Should just rather go to Kruger...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Being booked for Rooiputs 1 next year, this kinda puts a whole damper on looking forward to it. I was already thinking about beating someone up with no booking on our spot but now I also need to contend with:

Polentswa was better, out of the way and more isolated. Although, when we were there, we had campsite 1 and 2 booked, but all fitted onto #2. Out of the blue a older man and wife arrived at #1 and setup camp. Out of curiosity we walked over to say hi and so on. When we told him that the site was actually booked by us he came up with some breakdown story and that they were a few days behind schedule so just decided to setup camp if it was empty coming from KAA gate. We are still wondering where he would have camped if all the sites were occupied!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Polentswa was better, out of the way and more isolated. Although, when we were there, we had campsite 1 and 2 booked, but all fitted onto #2. Out of the blue a older man and wife arrived at #1 and setup camp. Out of curiosity we walked over to say hi and so on. When we told him that the site was actually booked by us he came up with some breakdown story and that they were a few days behind schedule so just decided to setup camp if it was empty coming from KAA gate. We are still wondering where he would have camped if all the sites were occupied!
    There is one particular older man and wife that only travels the park like that.... HOW on earth they get it right - only they know. The bum sites off others, or want to share, and if you say no, he gets rude and his vocabulary starts getting rather colourful.
    DGO Fiddler

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    There is one particular older man and wife that only travels the park like that.... HOW on earth they get it right - only they know. The bum sites off others, or want to share, and if you say no, he gets rude and his vocabulary starts getting rather colourful.
    Does he perhaps drive a Amarok/Conqueror combination?

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Waar gaan die węreld heen
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/20 at 04:21 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Does he perhaps drive a Amarok/Conqueror combination?
    no, there must be two of them then
    DGO Fiddler

If you decide against Rooiputs, I'll happily take over your booking. Seriously.

Go to Rooiputs it is great. Don't bust a gut if somebody decides to use the toilet it is really not a big deal. The toilets are away from the camp site so it is not really intrusive unless you want it to be an issue. People who sh1t everywhere happens and just take a spade and clean up. I have had this everywhere . Honestly just enjoy the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    Hylton you clearly dont belong in the Kgalagadi ..I save for a year to go there ..take the trouble to book on time for a remote camp with no facilities as I want my privacy which is cleary marked at the entrance 'RESERVED FOR BOOKED GUESTS ONLY " ..There is a Picnic spot just up the road Melkvlei with flush loos etc but no the Yuppie brigade with their sense of entitlement feel they have a right to disregard the No entry Signs and come use the toilets (NON FLUSH) and then leave ..without a care for the paid up guests to clean up afterwards ..Stay away in your Skukuza Ritz camps Please. I always ask these rude intruders why they dont go next door to the Lodge ..They stare blankly as they know they will be kicked out ..Just because I camp doesnt mean you can piss on my Parade with impunity
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/09/20 at 07:37 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

If you are visiting Kgalagadi one agrees to abide by the Park regulations and wilderness camps are only for the use of those who have reservations.

Twee Rivieren where there are plenty of toilets is only about 20km away from Rooiputs.

I note that Urie now has a lock and chain across its entrance. Maybe something worth considering for Rooiputs and Polentswa.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/09/20 at 07:56 PM.

Kgalagadi pollution!

During a recent trip I was horrified to see toilet paper littering the bush (not near campsites). This is a new phenomenon - I have never seen this before.

There are clearly some brave individuals prepared to risk stepping out of their 4x4's when the need arises.

This was most unsightly and chatting to a ranger he confirmed that part of their day is now spent collecting this litter.