Kgalagadi - Page 6

Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Kgalagadi

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    AG NOU SIS MAN. STOP THIS PICTURES.
    Now I am dreaming instead of working.
    Will only be there next April. I must see a Leopard, must see Leopard, must see Leopard
    Leopard?

You won't believe our luck!

We arrived at Tweerivieren and went for a short one hour drive in the afternoon.

On our way back from Leeudril we spotted a Leopard that just killed a Springbok.

We missed the kill but we saw the feed.

Not lying...1 hour! Hows that for luck?!

P.S.: I have pictures but their not great. It was just too far for the mik and drik.
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER
    BLINKGAT DRAWER SYSTEMS AND FRIDGE SLIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post

AWESOME PICTURE!!!!

We experienced a Kgalagadi storm first hand while at Mata-Mata.

Sounded like someone was spraying my tent with a hose. My gazebo didn't survive the night...
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER

Look, I'm not a big fan of the "open" picnic areas, especially if you're there during a quiet period with almost no tourists.

We regularly arrived at a picnic spot to find that we were the only ones there so I had to go look if it was safe. Swambo sat in the car with strict instructions to drive over me and whatever attacks me.

I admit it, I was very scared...

Why can't they simply close the areas same as in Kruger? It's a simple fence with a double gate system. They have it everywhere except Kgalagadi.

It would be nice to fry up some bacon and eggs and have breakfast without looking over your shoulder the entire time. Just for the record, I don't give a hoot if someone says "Oh, but nothing will attack you" or "you're perfectly safe". I beg to differ...
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER

I wouldn't like to run into one of these on my way to the loo...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER

Personally the open picnic areas are what is very appealing. I've never felt unsafe in all the years I've been going there. One just needs to be vigilant but the only thing I've come across in the picnic areas which were a concern were a couple of particularly large Puffies and a very brave ground squirrel

BTW I have done KTC to Garagap in one day. Not to be repeated. Never exceeded the speed limit so the the estimates in the guides can be done, but only really if you're prepared to not see much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

See! Bwahahahahaha!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER

Regard, jy sal darm hol he?

Dit is nogal scary - maar, ons is mos rats en vinnig, kan hardloop as dit moet,

Ja nee, moet beslis daar gaan kuier volgende jaar in Maart.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Regard, jy sal darm hol he?

Dit is nogal scary - maar, ons is mos rats en vinnig, kan hardloop as dit moet,

Ja nee, moet beslis daar gaan kuier volgende jaar in Maart.
    Sien nie die graaf nie!

En pasop vir die broek se band

Ek dink dis 'n goeie idee! Ons sal binnekort gesels en planne beraam!
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY

JURGENS EXPLORER

The road from TR is LOUSY really corrugated and makes quite unpleasant travelling. TR to Nossob is do able but a LONG day.

Take passports as there is the MOST AMAZING biltong/meat shop called Sitsas just across the Nam/ SA border from Mata Mata. You can apparently get special permission and walk over the border. The oficials there are v obliging. Water is lousy, but fine for washing.

Weather will be V HOT so plan to travel early morning and evening returning to the pool for lunch. Distances between stopovers is long so if you travelling with kids make sure you have food to keep them happy.

Enjoy. It's a stunning area.

Southerndreams,
    I wish we could find out more about the sick ( dead ) cub and what the cause of death was because we always get told that the lions of the Kalahari are the most healthy prides in Southern Africa ( which indeed they are ) because they do not eat buffalos infected with TB like their cousins in the Kruger.
    Also, I think they live in a much beter eco system.

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisLab; 2011/09/27 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLab
    Southerndreams,
    I wish we could find out more about the sick ( dead ) cub and what the cause of death was because we always get told that the lions of the Kalahari are the most healthy prides in Southern Africa ( which indeed they are ) because they do not eat buffalos infected with TB like their cousins in the Kruger.
    Also, I think they live in a much beter eco system.

Chris.
    Even in very healthy prides cub mortality is high so could be just about anything.

2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Even in very healthy prides cub mortality is high so could be just about anything.

SimonB,

You know what I find most ironical about this whole issue is that the most healthy lions are nowadays bred in captivity ( fed on donkey meat ) for the canned lion hunts although this has been stopped "officialy" it still happens.

We frequent the Kruger and I want to tell you : to me as an amateur the lion population in the Kruger looks under tremendous pressure.
    Just my personal opinion.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLab View Post
    SimonB,

You know what I find most ironical about this whole issue is that the most healthy lions are nowadays bred in captivity ( fed on donkey meat ) for the canned lion hunts although this has been stopped "officialy" it still happens.

We frequent the Kruger and I want to tell you : to me as an amateur the lion population in the Kruger looks under tremendous pressure.
    Just my personal opinion.

Chris.

I cannot see the condition of the mother but those cubs are still dependant on their mother and once she cannot hunt or feed them the whole family is doomed. They cannot provide for themselves.
    Normally the lioness saves herself (as the fittest) and the cubs die.

Yes Galius, I agree with you 100% if the mother can't hunt the cubs die BUT I would like to know why
    Why can the mother not hunt Game seems to be plentiful.
    What I am worried about is this: could this be the first signs of inbreeding
    I certainly hope not

Chris.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Why can't they simply close the areas same as in Kruger? It's a simple fence with a double gate system. They have it everywhere except Kgalagadi.

It would be nice to fry up some bacon and eggs and have breakfast without looking over your shoulder the entire time. Just for the record, I don't give a hoot if someone says "Oh, but nothing will attack you" or "you're perfectly safe". I beg to differ...
    @Fanatic I must tell you I do not agree with you. That is it what makes Kgalagadi so very much special. No Fences (at Wilderness Camps, Botswana Camps and Picknick Stations). It is simply awesome to stay there. If you want a break in a fenced camp, you can every time go to Mata Mata, Nossob and TR.

Weve been twice to Bitterpan. Theres a wonderful communal kitchen where you can cook, eat, sit and chat, the first time weve been there was at that Christmas, when we saw the lioness. We had the most wonderful days there with an older CT couple, we celeberated the ladies 75th birthday, did bake a cake on the fire, had game drives with each other. We did not know the people before.

The next time we came there, they had fenced the braai areas in front of all 4 chalets, not one in all, each chalet separate. That looked as if anybody would stay in his own Kindergarden. Silly, stupid, nonsense. Nobody was sitting in the (already secured) communal area any more. We joked that Willem, the Ranger could now raise chicken, goats, cows and donkeys in 4 compartments.

@ChrisLab: They have some problems with inbreeding in gemsbok, you often see some with spiraled or defromed horns or even hornless. But, theres no TB at the lions, luckily. Thats why they do not reintroduce other extinct species like buffalo and zebra. Lions from Kgalagadi did meanwhile go to Addo and from there to Karoo NP. Kgalagadi has double size than KNP, if theres a healthy, natural environment in SA's National Parks, than here.

The mother could hunt and other lionesses were around, one underneath a tree at the picknick station nearby. She could go out, all doors were open. We later saw the whole pride, inclusive an impressive black maned male, the biggest one I saw until that time. They had plenty other cubs around, 8 or 9 in different ages.

We could not clearly see her (we parked parallel to the ablutions and I was crawaling out of the car window, to take the picture of her) and we had to leave some time, to reach Bitterpan in time. Maybe she was sick or just took the chance to have a cool place?
    I surely did not understand why she took the mens toilet with much less space than the ladies toilet.

The last thing I heard was some unclear deaths of male lions at Kgalagadi and also a springbok disease. That was at the last christmas. We found all male lions we saw the year before, healthy.

Southerndreams, I'm not referring to camp sites but merely picnic sites.

We almost walked into a big male lion resting behind the toilet at Grootbaardskolk but luckily we were warned by a German couple on their way to Nossob.

Many inexperienced tourists and their kids get out at these picnic spots and things may turn nasty if a lion feels cornered.

Last pics:
    Every time we came to Kgalagadi something very special happened. One day we had three time cape cobra at the roads and than a cape cobra in the tree at Grootkolk. Never again saw any cape cobra in the park.
    Another stay, just entered the park, a Pale Chanting Gooshawk feeding a snake to his chick:

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Southerndreams, I'm not referring to camp sites but merely picnic sites.

We almost walked into a big male lion resting behind the toilet at Grootbaardskolk but luckily we were warned by a German couple on their way to Nossob.

Many inexperienced tourists and their kids get out at these picnic spots and things may turn nasty if a lion feels cornered.
    I know you are referring to the Picknick sites. When we came to SA three years ago they said to us, Africa's not for sissies ....

I think you mean Dikbaardskolk, and if yes, its probably that special male we saw there ..... Just try to remember if we warned somebody ? When did that happen?

Yes, that's the place. I had the name wrong.

It was February this year.

Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 106 ... LastLast