Kgalagadi - Page 4

Page 4 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Kgalagadi

Quote Originally Posted by ready to 4x4 View Post
    also might go in dec which nuts an bolts should be tightened before the trip.on the car
    Haha! Every one you can see!

I lost two of the bolts which keeps my nudge bar on. The other two were already loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Chris you are torturing us!!

Leopard and the grace of the Cheetah are tops.

Yes the cheetah also happens to be our second favourite animal

You are welcome to join us

Chris.

I just came from their,the days are warm max 36,but at night it cools down. In the mornings it's 1-4. Take plenty water as the shop ask R17.00 for a 1.5lt, braai wood is R25.00 for a small bag. Theirs a 4x4 road from TR to Nossob.But you can do it in a 4x2 as well. (2 tracks)

Thanks toitjie
    Will make sure to take wood and water for sure

The shops at Nossob and Mata Mata regulary run out of ice and wood. Make sure to buy enough when available. Fuel can also be a problem. I once experienced a very angry group of people at Nossob garage when they run out of diesel.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Hi there

have been 7 times to Kgalagadi.
    It can get up to50, specially between the dunes in summer.
    If not camping, be aware that at Nossob and at Mata Mata electricity is shutted down between 10 and 5, so NO Aircon! Better do camping.

At Nossob there are sometimes Puffadders at the Laundry room and on the camp road between the squirrel holes. Never walk without a light at night.

There are sometimes LIONS IN the public ablutions at the picknick stations (e.g. Dikkbardskolk. Also happened at the Aob Road.

At Christmas 2009 there was a lioness in with 5 cubs.

We also had a 1,50 m Puffadder one morning at melkvlei IN the toilet room.

Concerning to the threads theme: You ccan buy a permit at the Botswana counter at Twee Rivieren, which allows you to drive form TR to KijKij. It will cost I think R 40. The better solutions is to book Roiputs, thats the best place at Kgalagadi.

The roads up to Nossob are VERY bad.
    But its worth every loose teeth or bolt!

See my pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...14/09Und100509
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...14/11Und120509
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...46839414/13509
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...22009Bis312010 (heres the lioness in the toilet)
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...414/94Bis22410
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039.../25Und26122010
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039.../27Und28122010
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039.../29Und30122010
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...22010Und112011
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...414/2Und312011
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171039...414/4Bis712011

All pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/117103976154546839414

Have fun there, I'll miss it this year, after 3 times christmas at Kgalagadi we go to KNP this year. We have been at Rooiputs two times at Christmas and enjoyed it very much, never been full there all the years, only 6 campsites.....

PS: That lioness walked next to our tent at Rouiputs last Christmas:

With all those cobras in the laundry and lions in the loo how come there are never ever any casualties?

How do you handle laundry snakes - I hear they like water?

Toitjie - What game did you see?

Default Power in SANPARKS camps

In the latest Weg magazine someone mentioned again that a special plug is required for 220V power connectivity. He had to buy an adaptor at the camp shop. I have heard of this before, and we have not been to the SA side for about 6 years, so I am unsure if this is truly a special power adaptor, or that these guys have never came across the blue power plug that is not used in all other SANPARKS and most of the more modern camp sites that adhere to the SABS standards.
    We are going to the Kalagadi in April next year, and I want to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by toitjie View Post
    Theirs a 4x4 road from TR to Nossob.But you can do it in a 4x2 as well. (2 tracks)
    Where's this road? I would love to drive it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by minzef View Post
    In the latest Weg magazine someone mentioned again that a special plug is required for 220V power connectivity. He had to buy an adaptor at the camp shop. I have heard of this before, and we have not been to the SA side for about 6 years, so I am unsure if this is truly a special power adaptor, or that these guys have never came across the blue power plug that is not used in all other SANPARKS and most of the more modern camp sites that adhere to the SABS standards.
    We are going to the Kalagadi in April next year, and I want to be prepared.
    This is only the blue plug, you will need at many Sanpark Parks,
    With all those cobras in the laundry and lions in the loo how come there are never ever any casualties?

How do you handle laundry snakes - I hear they like water?
    You can check that at the Sanparks Forum, theres one thread about a couple sitting at the campfire at Nossob, when a puffotter came across the wifes leg on the way to a squirrel hole.

I swa the lioness personally in the toilet at Dikbaardskolk in the mens toilet and I saw a puffotter personally at Mellkvlei in the ladies toilet. The last time I"ve been at Nossob there was a young Puffotter at the laundry, the rangers took her out and brought her to the field. No picture for that...

I will post my pictures from the lion / puffotter event later, must go to work. It is not a joke, guys.... It was a wonder, that at Dikbaardskolk nobody was injured, as the Park Management did nothing for three days or more. We did stand in front of the toilet 6 hours with the digicam, only cot the one cub filmed, but in that time we warned about 15 times other people.

You can alos aks the tourism manager og Kgalagadi for that, he tried to chase the lioness out a day, after weve been there. One cub died there.The Dikbaardskolk Pride is very successful raising the cubs, theres a magnificient dark maned male and 5 or so lionesses. It one of the largest Kgalagadi prides. I heard about a similar story at Aob valley, but have no confirmation about that. You can check also Sanparks Forum for the lioness in the toilet.

Have fun

Default Few tips

My 2c worth:

Go prepared and take your own wood [assume that there are no wood available in the park - we have been to KTP numerous times, and they ran out of wood at MM an Nossob almost every time].You can support the Kalahari Supermarket in Askham (next to the garage) and purchase wood there (at a fraction of the KTP price).

The water in KTP tastes aweful - it is only suitable for cleaning. Keep in mind that the southern river in the park, the Auob, directly translated means 'bitter water'; the northern river, the Nossob means 'black water'. Purchase bottled water in Upington or bring your own from home.

Birding: though I am not good at bird spotting (I am learning), KTP have a rich birdlife. The tree in front of the shop at Mata Mata ALWAYS has at least 1 pearl spotted owl (many a time 2).

Groundsheets: Camping surfaces are mainly sand. Rather take shade cloth (80%+) as a groundsheet and not the ones with the big holes.

Pack away all items at night. The jackal (and sometimes other predators) will scavenge and steal whatever is left outside. In June 2008 our basin with dirty dishes were carried off by a hiena at Mata Mata (don't be alarmed - it seldom happens that hienas find their way into the camp).

I'm very jealous, but I suppose visits to Namibia, Richtersveld and Kruger during 2011 means that I've had my share of happiness already. ENJOY!
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    It is not a 4x4 road as such unless he refers to the eco trail which I doubt because that is certainly not do-able in 4x2.

I think the road he refers to is the partially finished road between TR and Kij-Kij. According to one of the rangers in the KTP the road is now open up to Rooiputs waterhole. From there visitors is allowed to take the access road to Rooiputs and the take a left on a track that has been used by the Botswana Parksboard to get to Kij-Kij while the road was under construction.

There is no need for a permit anymore but the ranger stated very clearly that anyone driving through the veld or enters Rooiputs without a booking WILL be severely fined.

And of course there is the Leeudril 4x4 trail.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2011/09/26 at 02:09 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Ok, sorry for my Afrikaans.

Die Botswana deel, as jy wil inkom bo by Kaa Hek, hoeveel kos dit? Moet jy dit vooraf reel want ek glo nie jy sal in 'n dag van daar tot Nossob kan ry nie. Dankie vir julle hulp.
    En, wat kos dit in die Botswana kant.?
    Hier is die tel # vir die ontvangs by Botswana kant hulle behoort jou te kan help. 054 561 2060
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Hi Guys

I am going to the Kgalagadi in December for the first time and I want to know if you can sleep on the ground when you bush camp or is it advisable to sleep in a rooftop tent, I assume in the fenced camps it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff hanger View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am going to the Kgalagadi in December for the first time and I want to know if you can sleep on the ground when you bush camp or is it advisable to sleep in a rooftop tent, I assume in the fenced camps it is ok.
    I'm sure you could. I wouldn't...way too scared!

Fine in the fenced Kgalagadi camps themselves. I would advise rooftop if you head into Botswana. Nossob has the best camping area in my view followed by Mata.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Fine in the fenced Kgalagadi camps themselves. I would advise rooftop if you head into Botswana. Nossob has the best camping area in my view followed by Mata.
    I just wouldn't feel comfortable with some large animal walking around outside my tent...sniffing now and then...

Thats only a side road along the border between SA and Bots (no fence) for the park officials to drive on.
    As long as the road betweeen TR and Kijkij is under repair, ONLY Roiputs Residents and people with a permit from Bots Reception are allowed to drive there.

The Sanparks Tourism manager (dark Landy) is cruising there all day, triyng to catch people without permit, he will take them to court. If he stopps you you will immediatly feel like acriminal, even if you are allowed to travel there.

We've been travelling Africa for 3 years now and did 150.000 km with a GROUND tent. No complaints. Don't be afraid about predators at Rooiputs, the Baboons at Third Bridge or at Samburu Public Campsite are much more dangerous, they open your tent, if they want to. At Samburu a baboon attacked us whilst game driving, tried to open the backdoor. A lion never would do that.

Lioness in the mens toilet at Dikbaardskolk:

Cub walking in to his mother

Cub walking out:

Sign from Park Management few days later:

Still search my Puffadder picture ....

Southern dreams thanks for all the pictures a good collection

have just spoken to the park and they tell me you can via kamqua moravet and elands water hole on this route you do not need a 4x4 or any permit they say it takes about 4 hours

Page 4 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast