Kgalagadi - Page 3

Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Kgalagadi

Good, cause it's going to take you some time to get to either Nossob or Mata Mata.

Took me seven hours from MM to Nossob and around 5 hours from 2R to MM.

Are you searious the map on the web say,s it take 2.5 hrs from 2r to MM and 3.5 hrs from 2r to Nossob

Can you go NE of MM or do You have to first go to 2R to get to Nossob
    Last edited by Offroad Nut; 2011/09/23 at 11:28 PM.

That road from MM to 2R used to be the worst corrugations I have ever been on.
    Can't recall how long it took but I would rate it a 10+ for corrugations.

Haha...that's exactly why I'm asking.

The booklet you read is totally inacurate. Totally. (Timewise)

You can go from 2rivierin to MM or Nossob in a day..provided you start early.

10 in the mornig will be fine.

12h00 is too late... Seriaas...

You can go from 2rivieren to MM or Nossob in a day.

...a rather long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    That road from MM to 2R used to be the worst corrugations I have ever been on.
    Can't recall how long it took but I would rate it a 10+ for corrugations.
    Unfortunately the person that did the calculations on that map has neve been in KTP and is not a game viewer.
    You can do it in a day without too much stress but give yourself enough time, I would have at least a 6hr window. Chances are that you will find enough interesting sightings on the way and it is not pleasant to leave a wow sighting because your time is running out.

Road conditions change from week to week and the best is to ask at reception of the camps as they are in constant contact with the rangers doing the maintenance. Unlike Kruger the people in Kgalagadi are a close knit family and more often than not you would find whole families employed in camps. In Mata Mata the camp managers wife works at reception and his brother is the head of the tented camp while one cousin works at the petrol station and another is on the roads, this all started at the father who has worked for the park all his life and is now retired. It takes a special kind of person to be able to work in such a desolate place and I am sure you will enjoy their passion and sharp sense of humour.

A lot of the folks have never bee out of the park. In march of this year we had a cricket match in Skukuza and Jannie brought a team of his guys to Kruger, these guys were stunned by the amount of cars and the size of the buildings in Gauteng not to mention the expanse of the cities. They had never seen bush as lush and thick as in kruger and this was an experience that will stay with them for ever.

Kgalagadi is a special place with special people, there most of the action is concentrate around the water holes. It is wise to park of at a waterhole and just observe, early morning you get the sand grouse coming to drink, keep your eyes peeled for the peregrine and amour falcons swooping in to get breakfast, this goes for the larger predators as well and the springbok are the MacDonalds of that area. Unless there has been heavy rains field water is not available and the waterholes are the only place for the animals to drink.

Last year was an exceptional rain year and the Auob river ( the one from mata mata ) flowed down to Twee Rivieren before disappearing in to the sand this had a bad influence on the oryx (gemsbok). Under normal conditions they get enough moisture from their food and do not need to drink but with such amounts of water they over indulge resulting in the food fermenting in their bellies killing them.

It is widely accepted that the game is better in the Auob side before the rains and Nossob side after the rains, Nature has a way to rest the fields and give the new growth a chance to recover.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

ORN there is a road that takes you from the Aob side to the Nossob side so you won't go via 2R to Nossob.

@Henk: I love your writing!

Excellent Henk!! Give us more tips.

How often are you in the SANparks?

I agree Excellent Henk thanks again
    All the info I got for distance and times come from SANparks web site ,now i am glad I have more accurate figures from you guys that have actualy been there,otherwise would have got to the camps to late. This is why this forum is the best thing since bubblegum!!!

Thanks Fanatic can you let me know where I can find a map showing me how to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Nut View Post
    You can buy one at Tweerivieren reception.

You guys are obviously wildlife enthusiasts and you are in for a great experience.

If may ask you a favour? May I transfer money to you to buy Sanparks stickers for me? I would like one of each camp. Please PM me your banking details. They are about R30 each.

Going there for our second time in October ( from 12th to the 20th ) staying in Urikaruus,Nossob, Grootkolk and Kieliekrankie.
    Enjoyed it tremendously the first time and are looking forward to this trip with great anticipation

Chris.

Your camps are well chosen!

I was booked for next month but had to cancel due to a business trip.

Enjoy and do post in the forum when you return.

Ok, sorry for my Afrikaans.

Die Botswana deel, as jy wil inkom bo by Kaa Hek, hoeveel kos dit? Moet jy dit vooraf reel want ek glo nie jy sal in 'n dag van daar tot Nossob kan ry nie. Dankie vir julle hulp.
    En, wat kos dit in die Botswana kant.?
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Nut View Post
    http://www.sanparks.org/docs/parks_k...lagadi_map.pdf
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLab View Post
    Going there for our second time in October ( from 12th to the 20th ) staying in Urikaruus,Nossob, Grootkolk and Kieliekrankie.
    Enjoyed it tremendously the first time and are looking forward to this trip with great anticipation

Chris.
    If you sit out at night and you hear the jackal going ape have a look it is your best indication of larger predators in the area. I normally save my spotlight until I hear them going bananas.

@ Mistral lets just say my green card is paid up until Jul 2026

Elize ek sal vir jou die info kry en by die Marakele naweek gee
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    If you sit out at night and you hear the jackal going ape have a look it is your best indication of larger predators in the area. I normally save my spotlight until I hear them going bananas.

@ Mistral lets just say my green card is paid up until Jul 2026

Elize ek sal vir jou die info kry en by die Marakele naweek gee

When we were there in May 2008 we stayed amongst others in Kieliekrankie. The camp attendant told us there was a female leopard and her cub coming to drink at the waterhole in front of the camp. We never saw them there BUT we found them early one morning on the road not far from camp. We spent about a half hour with them before they walked of into the long grass.

Surely this must be the most beautiful and gracefull animal God ever created

This year we have decided to brave the heat and go in October since we are mainly going for the birds and especially the many magnificent birds of prey.

What is also awesome in winter is the Magnificent stars coupled to that great silence broken only now and then by the howling of a jackal or a roar of the mighty lion which just seem to emphasize the silence.
    Man I tell you what: You can not get closer to heaven

Chris.

also might go in dec which nuts an bolts should be tightened before the trip.on the car
    Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 SE

''I live to experience not imagine''

There's something magical about Kgalagadi.

I love the peaceful evenings around the camp fire...and all of a sudden a lion roars 50m away from you! After the third big step you get a grip of yourself, giggle nervously and hope no one saw you!

Chris you are torturing us!!

Leopard and the grace of the Cheetah are tops.

Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 ... LastLast