Kgalagadi - Page 11

Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 36 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Kgalagadi

So a real newbie question :

What is the typical "route" when visiting the Kgalagadi ? From entering the park , let's say from the "South" (alternatively from Namibia, if we first go have a look at the Kokerbome...), what is the first park - and how many days would you recommend staying here.

From here, what camp is next, and again how many days would you stay here.

and so on ....

PS - please confirm which of these camps are fenced to create some semblence of safety at night.

PPS - we will be camping (sleeping) in our Hilux, with a ground tent for a dressing room during the day.

The idea is to join some of the "game drives" and guided tours, spend time next to the swimming pool, take some awesome pics and if there is any time left over just to relax.

We have just over three weeks, although we dont "have to" spend all this time here.

Sou graag wou hoor van die ervare mense wat die beste "benadering" is om die trippie so lekker moontlik te maak.
    Last edited by Elders; 2011/10/31 at 08:21 PM.

The three camps which are fenced are Mata Mata, Twee Rivieren and Nossob.

Only the wilderness camps (no camping there) are unfenced.

I would suggest you divide your time between Mata and Nossob.

You will then have the best chance of game spotting. Nossob is the best camping area followed by Mata. There is a hide at Nossob for night time viewing. Nossob has a swimming pool.

Avoid Twee Rivieren.

The is a border post at Mata allowing entry from Namibia.

PM me if you want more info

If you drive from Cape Town the usual route is via Upington.
    Then 3 hour drive to Kgagaladi.

Thank you Mistral.

I understand this is a "tranfrontier park" - do one actuall go through any border posts while in the park, ie SA to Botswana ?
    Last edited by Elders; 2011/10/31 at 08:27 PM.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Hi all,

happy to have some new posts here.

Ecobtrail was our third and our fifth stay at Kgalagadi,
    did it one time TR - Nossob and one time Nossb - TR.

All our cars did Big Berta, but not in the first try.

@ ChrisF:

When you enter from Namibia and leave to SA, you must do the customs at TR. You should steay two or so days at Mata Mata, than drive down to TR, maybe sleep at Kilie Krankie, than go up to Nossob. From there got to Grootkolk or Gharagab.

Best guided walks are at Nossob. My advise, book it ealry. The guide Melissa needs to organise the backup. The night drive in Twee Rievieren might lead you to a female leopard with two cubs.

Mata Mata, Nosson and TR are fenced, all Wilderness Camps ar NOT fenced.

But think about, the fences do not help against Scorpoins and Snakes...

@ all best chance to see brown hyena daily is Bitterpan

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2011/10/31 at 08:40 PM.

I understand this is a "tranfrontier park" - do one actuall go through any border posts while in the park, ie SA to Botswana ?
    If you are going in at one side and out at the other, you must do the border procedures at TR. If you go to Mabua area, but come in and go out in SA, they recommend to get a stamp into your passport just in case something happens and you need to go out at Mabua Gate. Don't know if you SA Citizens need stamps for Botswana or Namibia, I am German, we need some.

All border procedures are usually easy, theres no firewood allowed going over the border.

Jip, for this trip my sandles will be packaed away - I have a healthy respect for the scorpions and snakes.

My wife is plain SCARED of the idea of lions walking around our vehicle while we are sleeping.

This will be our first trip, and hopefully my wife will "buy into" this wilderness camping. She DOES like camping, but with ablutions and without the lions (right next to the vehicle) ....

PS - Southerndreams I have particularly liked your posts in this thread. But then, Henk and so many others also made most valuable contributions. Us newbies really appreciate your assistance

Than don't show her this picture:

The lioness was walking 5 m away from our tent along the road down to the waterhole at Rooiputs, we found her track (she was limping a bit) and saw her later hanging around.

We travel since three years now with a ground tent and enjoy it so much.

No hassle in the morning just close zip and leave.

Chris, do what I'm doing... 'break her in' slowly.

This year we did the fenced camps...maybe next year too...

Eventually I'll get her there.

You will see, you will love it, even if your teeth are rattling and your dashboard is on the backseat of your car. Even if its 49 and even if there are bats in your tent at Bitterpan and even if theres no water at Kilie Krankie. You will love sitting at the campfire at Nossob and chat with others, you will love staying at the fence in mata Mata and smile and watching lionesses playing with their cubs, while hundred people stand at the fence at are quiet like never before.

@ Chris

As mentioned the only camps that you can use your own equipment is Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob, they are fenced and have more people than the wilderness camps but do not be fooled by this. The fences are not the kind you can expect in Kruger, more like an old style half mast boundary fence.

There is a border control at TR but you don't need a passport to enter the Botswana side unless you plan to leave the park in to Botswana. You do need a permit to drive the Botswana roads as this is linked to the accommodation on that side. Mata Mata has a border control for entry and exit from Namibia
    so you can go through that one provided you have had a two night stay in the park. This was done to stop numerous folks taking short cuts to Namibia and driving at speed and ruining the roads.

If I can suggest a bit of further exploring I see you are from the fairest cape, why not make a slight detour at Upington and include Augrabies on your agenda. It is a sight well worth the effort and another one of our orphan parks that deserve some support. No predators in the park but a lot of smaller game and of course the spectacular falls. En route from upington drive through the green Kalahari, places like Kakamas and Keimoes with its working water wheels are an experience not to be missed and the Kanon island group are a stark contrast in this desolate and arid piece of our country.

Before the rain the Auob river has the higher concentration of game but after the rains the Nossob river is the better one. Entering at TR, I would spend at least two days in the area before moving up north. The area around Tr has a resident leopard that is regularly seen in the big tree at Samevloeiing and the Leeudril 4x4 trail is one that has to be done. Nothing hectic but do not be fooled, there are one or two dunes that can bite you.

A few weeks ago some clever fool decided to avoid the fee and braved the route in his 2x4 bakkie. He got horribly stuck in the sand and spent most of the day digging himself out. The route is only 13 km and he got stuck about 6k from the start and decided to turn around and go back against the flow. Not a good idea. If you drive in the correct direction you have a longer slope to climb the dune but against the flow the slope is much steeper. The idiot ended up sleeping the night in his bakkie. This might be a good time to mention that he failed to take his permit from reception so no one missed him from camp. The next morning the Rambo decided to walk back to camp and was rescued by another visitor after walking back to the main road.

The leeudril trail did not get its name for nothing, the waterhole is the lair of a massive pride of Kgalagadi's biggest bad boys and the previous day the head ranger had set up a camera trap at the waterhole and got the most beautiful shots of this pride of lions, not more than a kilo from where our Rambo got stuck. Jannie's guys helped him in the recovery of his inadequate transport and charged him a handsome fee for their effort as they had to tow him for most of the remaining distance and to top it all he was given a huge fine for his stupidity. Below is a pic from the trap taken the day before. Daars nie pille vir stupidgeid

After a recovery stay in TR I would spend the bulk of my time in the side that is favoured by the rain. Nossob has a lot to offer in terms of bird and animal sightings but I would spend time on the other side as well, just to get familiar with the area. Sunsets and the stars are spectacular and and if possible a sleep over at Bitterpan in one of the 4 units is also well worth the effort and cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hbannink; 2011/10/31 at 10:11 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Henk, when are you going to Kgalagadi again? I think I need to tag along...

Default Kgalagadi tag along

Fanatic,

I told you I would pick you up on the 23rd December. Then you Henk and I can spend Xmas Day together, you cook I will look after the ice and Glen F...... and Jack D........ and yours so Henk can be the story teller, we will have to make sure that he is well hydrated(us toooo)

Guy

Now that sounds like my kind of holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Chris, do what I'm doing... 'break her in' slowly.

This year we did the fenced camps...maybe next year too...

Eventually I'll get her there.
    Fanatic that is the whole idea ...

HENK - we did Augrabies in 2008, LAST trip before we got a 4x4. YES, I definately want to go back and spend more time there.

Henk your one comment did make me think though ... maybe I should look into renting a cottage at one of the unfenced camps. Maybe if my wife sees the "tenters" still alive the next morning ...

Hi all,
    had some one GIG Datas to spent yesterday by incident and uploded all my Kgalagadi Pictures at Google:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109757264753760674017

Its very nice to see all the different seasons at Kgalagadi ....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Fanatic that is the whole idea ...
    HENK - we did Augrabies in 2008, LAST trip before we got a 4x4. YES, I definately want to go back and spend more time there.
    Henk your one comment did make me think though ... maybe I should look into renting a cottage at one of the unfenced camps. Maybe if my wife sees the "tenters" still alive the next morning ...
    Hehe...good idea Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Hi all,
    had some one GIG Datas to spent yesterday by incident and uploded all my Kgalagadi Pictures at Google:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109757264753760674017

Its very nice to see all the different seasons at Kgalagadi ....

Stunning pictures, thanks.

What am I looking at here?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1097572...55196090761282

Looks like an ostrich learned to fly...

Double post! Sorry!

I can't open the URL with my phone but 'flying ostrich' sounds like a 'Gompou'

Largest bird of flight.

Sorry, I'm guessing without having seen the pic...

Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 36 61 111 ... LastLast