Default Conqueror electricity

I recently bought a second hand Conqueror Conquest. After replacing the deep cycle battery I found that the electricity on the 220V plugs does not work. It is coupled on power everything.
    Any ideas on what can be wrong or where can I search? I am not an electrician so do not know how to test for power.

Thanks
    Jacques

The deep cycle battery has nothing to do with the 220V power supply. They function independently from one another. The only connection might be a 220V battery charger, connected to the battery.
    Make sure the trip switch (breaker) of your 220V system is 'on'. and test for power on one of the normal 220V plugs in the trailer- ? kitchen area. Be careful: If your power supply is connected to a 220V source, the points are LIVE and can give you a nasty ZAP!
    Your deep cycle battery might have an inverter connected to it, which can support a 220V utility, but don't get confused by the two distinctly different systems.
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K - nou seun se vrou se ryding
    Mercedes - Benz GLC 250 -2017
    Noname Boswa - binnekort in die mark - Augustus
    VW California 2.0TDi 2017

John I've coupled the plug to the side of the trailer box but the plugs inside the box are not working. I will ask an auto electrician tomorrow to check it out for me.

Thanks
    Jacques

Carefull.

You may be sleeping in a trailer with a loose wire -the whole body may become live if not functioning properly! If you are not comfortable, get an qualified electrician to check it out.

May be a shocking experience.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

Jeep Fan, the "220V plugs" you refer to, is this a multiplug setup? If so check on the multiplug there is a little trip switch that might need to be reset or the multiplug might be faulty. My Conqueror has this setup and I recently had to replace the multiplug, now everything is fine.

Kerneels I will check if that is the problem, I realise after reading this that the reset button seems not to be functioning 100%.
    Thanks!

Problem solved. I've replaced the multiplug, but the fault was at the lead going into the trailer. There were some wires off.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everybody.

It is good that you have found the problem.

Another problem that I have found is that the connectors behind the power supply (the small plastic ones that clip onto the power unit) can rattle loose and your 220 will then not work. Loosen the screws and plug it back in. They usualy can only go into one place.

I seem to be having a problem with my Companion's electricity/charging as well.

AC trip switch on, Isolator on, Battery charger on ... I've been charging it now for a couple of days, but the indicator stays on 12.55V, so there is definitely something wrong there. I haven't tested the multiplug, only the Hell plugs, BUT the multiplug has those red switches which are supposed to light up when you switch them on, which I now recall never happens.

Also, with the wiring on these units, is it a 220V AC pass through, ie getting power from AC, or will it always get power from the battery and the battery keeps on being charged?

Damn, and I am going on a trip tomorrow

Default battery short!

I also recently got a Conquest. Fiddled a bit with the 220, coupled a couple of multi plugs directly onto the place where the "original" Conqueror multiplug ( I say "original" because I have seen the new ones also have one in the same place ) and run them through to the little shelf just above the wheel arches and under the wolff pack holders on both sides of the trailer. One for the kitchen and one in the tent. So much easier when you have power and want to connect a kettle or if Swambo wants ( or needs ! ) a hair drier.

I drilled 2 holes through the nose, through the box and ran the cable on top on the lip just under the roof of the box and down the lip to get to the shelf. I used elctrical glands usually used on plug boxes to prevent chaffing on the cable through the holes.

Just be careful!! the cover plate which you have to get behind to do this sits directly above the battery terminals. So when you remove this plate be sure that it doesn't touch them. The clearance is only a few cm.

This might only be an issue with my trailer but just in case.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Festi1 For This Useful Post:

Landyman, I have my Conquest now about 5 years. In that time the pressure pump gave problems and my charger also did not charge the battery properly. I got less and less running hours from the battery. As I decided to replace the deepcycle, the charger failed. I was quoted +-R600 to get it repaired, about R900 for service unit and around R1800 for replacement. I have some electronic experience and I am not very impress with the charger. I view my charger and battery power as high priority and I was not prepared for another failure (in the bush) with the same system. So i ripped out the electronics and installed a C-Tek XS 25000. My deepcycle was renewed!!! The next thing I am going to do is to install the C-Tek DC to DC booster to increase the charging voltage when charging from the vehicle while driving/towing the trailer. I havent been looking back once!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to angelblooms For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the reply guys. I took it back to Conqueror Connection in Midrand on the Thursday, and they pulled out the electrical box. It ended up being a wire that wasn't crimped properly, once they redid that, everything was sorted, and awesome weekend was on the horison
    Now
    -----
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 S

Then
    ------
    '99 Defender 90 TDi
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - Yes, had two of them
    2007 Defender 110 Puma
    2008 Discovery 3 TDv6 S
    2011 Conqueror Companion
    2012 Defender 90 P/U LE

Default Re: Conqueror electricity

Quote Originally Posted by angelblooms View Post
    Landyman, I have my Conquest now about 5 years. In that time the pressure pump gave problems and my charger also did not charge the battery properly. I got less and less running hours from the battery. As I decided to replace the deepcycle, the charger failed. I was quoted +-R600 to get it repaired, about R900 for service unit and around R1800 for replacement. I have some electronic experience and I am not very impress with the charger. I view my charger and battery power as high priority and I was not prepared for another failure (in the bush) with the same system. So i ripped out the electronics and installed a C-Tek XS 25000. My deepcycle was renewed!!! The next thing I am going to do is to install the C-Tek DC to DC booster to increase the charging voltage when charging from the vehicle while driving/towing the trailer. I havent been looking back once!!!!
    Old thread I know...

Would you know the Charging rate of the std system?
    I am looking at getting a Conquest 1, and I know I need a 10A system, doubt the original is 10A... Is it easy enough to change out?

Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead

I just bought a second hand 2012 Companion. When I plug in the 220V to the side of the trailer, nothing happens. No lights on the board illuminate (I believe there is supposed to be a red light that goes on?) and battery does not charge. Multiplug doesn't work etc. Is there anything I can check before I have to take it in? It's all very new to me, so not sure what should happen when plugging in etc. Maybe I'm missing something simple?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    2012 Conqueror Companion Camping Trailer

Instagram

Previously Loved:
    2011 Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5D4D 4X4
    1997 Land Rover 2.8i Defender 90

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post
    Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead

I just bought a second hand 2012 Companion. When I plug in the 220V to the side of the trailer, nothing happens. No lights on the board illuminate (I believe there is supposed to be a red light that goes on?) and battery does not charge. Multiplug doesn't work etc. Is there anything I can check before I have to take it in? It's all very new to me, so not sure what should happen when plugging in etc. Maybe I'm missing something simple?
    Are all the breakers up (and the plug turned on)? If they are, then you'd do best to take it in.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Are all the breakers up (and the plug turned on)? If they are, then you'd do best to take it in.
    Yes they are Little bit frustrating as "everything is in good working order" when I bought it... Guess I will have to take it in.

Instagram

Previously Loved:

Yes they are Little bit frustrating as "everything is in good working order" when I bought it... Guess I will have to take it in.
    Really weird... I've also got a 2012, and the system is pretty "dumb"... probably a loose wire in the plug? If you've got simple tools, why not check it out before taking it in.
    2011 Conqueror Companion

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

I've also got a 2012, and the system is pretty "dumb".
    That was my thinking. I'll have a look when I get some time this week and hopefully can figure it out without having to take it in.

Instagram

Previously Loved:

So I opened the panel below the switch board and found a number of different cables have become disconnected at the lugs. Some are using spades and others are using plastic automotive cable connectors (not sure the names of the connectors). It feels like everything should be connected with the connectors and not spades. I'd be very interested to see the wiring of other Companions.

Regardless, I wired up new spades and it's now working. There was one broken cable connector that I'll need to replace, but otherwise, the lights are now on

PS. There is a loud fan that comes on when connected to 220v and turned on. Is this usual?

Instagram

Previously Loved:

PS. There is a loud fan that comes on when connected to 220v and turned on. Is this usual?
    Yup... that's a "cooling fan" that blows air over the charging transformer.
    2011 Conqueror Companion

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post: