Trip planning for Angola Jan 2012

Cool Trip planning for Angola Jan 2012

We are planning a trip to Kaokoland and southern Angola, rainy season conditions permitting, in mid-January to early February and believe that it is advisable to travel with at least two 4x4s, especially at that time of year.
    Is there anyone out there planning a similar trip at that time?

That wouldn't be my first choice of time of the year to be in that neck of the woods! However, I haven't been into Angola yet at any time, let alone rainy season, so can't really comment. I know Spook of this forum is planning something in Angola in the next year or two, but they are currently on the road in Zambia.

You could also try on the HUBB for other travellers in the region.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Jan will be very hot.

Also, about 1% of the Angolan population can understand English, so if you don't do Portuguese you'll have difficulty.

I have some English speaking contacts in Lubango who can fix vehicles and/or source parts if you have any vehicle problems. Also a Canadian doctor who runs a USAID hospital. PM me if you want GPS coords and phone numbers.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Thanks guys. Unfortunately Jan/Feb is the only time of the year we can travel so we're destined to get wet - and stuck probably! I'll try Spook and the Hubb, and any contacts would be welcome

Anna

We went through Iowa Park after winter and some rivers still had water. I very much doubt that you will get through from Ruacana to Kunene Mouth or via Iowa Park to Tombua/Namibe. Perhaps get more info from Tour operators or mail Lezle Combrink that does bookings for Flamingo ([email protected]) or Ray Sakko ([email protected]) and get their opinion on this. If you stay on the main roads to Lubango, Namibe etc. all should be fine. You can read my report at http://www.overland.co.za/travel_rep..._Sept_2009.pdf
    Last edited by PierredW; 2011/09/22 at 09:52 AM.

Thank you PierredW, I sadly suspect you are right. Staying on the main roads doesn't really interest us so I'll do some more research and will use your suggested contacts. Fingers crossed!

Was in Angola in early September - at that time guys were using the Calueque border and then up to the main road. Advice at the time was the road from Ruacana to Foz du Kunene etc was washed away - they had huge summer rains this year.

If you do get to Lubango use Fazenda Jamba camp - they are on facebook.

Also speak to Ray Sakko as mentioned previously - they will know the conditions. Also worth spending a bit of time at Flamingo - the canyons are spectacular.

Thanks for the information Pumba2. Still not sure if we'll go that far north, but at least we have people to ask now.

Apply for your visas now, takes about a month to get them. You will also need an invite from someone where you are going to stay, else you will not get a visa.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

You need an invite from a local, a visa (really hard to get and lots of requirements) and you'll need to have someone with you that can speak Portuguese. You will also need a police clearance from your local police to prove your car is not stolen. Border crossings are painfully slow and can take up to a whole day for a group of 10 or 12 cars to go through. Very little English is spoken there.

There are still a lot of roadblocks and no real organised campsites. Wild camping is the way to go, but you need to ask permission from the local farmers or in more populated areas, the chief of police or one of the local governor's staff.

I would not say that it is ready yet to go without a guide who has built up contacts and has a knowledege of the area. This is very important regarding wild camping and knowing when you are confronted by someone, whether it is legit or just someone wanting a bribe. This is where knowing the lingo is important.

Very little can be accomplished in Angola without the greasing of palms, it is not known as the most corrupt country in Africa without reason!!
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

If Anna & Edward haven't seen this post, Malcolm, I'll tell them this evening when we see them. I know their internet connection is poor, as they live out on a farm.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd