Problems with 2008 Santa FE Crdi Auto

Default Problems with 2008 Santa FE Crdi Auto

I have a 2008 Santa Fe Auto Crdi and about a week ago, it started this nasty problem. It drives normally, but when you stop the Engine idles down to less than 500rpm and almost switches off. Even if you press the accelerator down to the floor the response is still not enough to pull the car forward. Took it to Hyundai Sandton for 105Km service since it was due, and i told them to have a look. And your guess is right, they never fixed it.

Anyone who knows what it could be, please help before I lose my hard earned cash to this useless hyundai dealers. I have googled the problem since last friday and i keep getting that there is a sensor which needs to be cleaned or replaced, but no one knows the name of the sensor.

Hi all,

I can report that my car is fixed now. Took it to Bosch Strydompark, Randburg and Christo fixed it for me. He cleaned the EGR valve and now the engine is less noisy and has gained about 25% more power. Total cost R1,120

Well that is one way to pay over and over for the same fix for the same problem. You should have asked the mechanic to block off the GER valve all together.

In theory the EGR is great for reducing emissions, but in practice (especially in SA with out dirty diesel) it sometimes cause more harm due to the carbon buildup as you have experienced first hand now.

Hi Leonlieb,

Tell me more about this EGR valve. Have you done it before, on what car? One thing i noticed was the fuel efficiency, it increased unbelievably. half talk travelled 450km in Joburg traffic!!

What are the warranty implications and what are the associated problems. Will the car's performance (power) be affected?

Regards
    Kelly

Hmmm, I really need help and I think my problem is similar to the one that you had (still have??). I am literally at the point where I no longer know what to do!

I have a 2008 Santa Fe CRDi 4x4 Auto - It started just before 100 000km's where car was battling to start - they (Morne at Hyundai in Alberton) said check battery and so I put a new battery in. That didn't solve it so then I took it back at about 98 000km and they said it was the alternator and they replaced that. It literally happened again straight after but then I thought maybe I should just give it a chance?

Well, I literally limped along till the 105 000km service and it just got worse and worse: The problems experienced were as follows:

- if I was in slow traffic that required a lot of idling, the car would start to struggle to keep its revs up and it would sound like the battery was about to die - then if you try and rev the car there is literally nothing there - absolutely no response. Also, there would be this thick cloud of black smoke with a funny smell coming out of the exhaust; or
    - if I was driving along and had to slow down to go over a speed bump... that's it ..... no revs!
    - what I found to work sometimes was if I put it out of "drive" into neutral then I could sometimes kind of get a little bit of starving revs going but literally I would have to keep my foot flat for sometimes as long as 20 minutes - stuck in traffic, with smoke coming out the back, and then suddenly it would cough out an exceptionally big puff of black cloying smoke (it lingers) and the revs would be back - but you better be sure that if you hit any spots that require you to idle that you shift into neutral and hit the gas!!
    - Also, it eventually got that I could sit for up to half an hour trying to just start my car!!

Anyway the alternator episode was in about April/May and I took my car in for the 105km in July - I took my car in on a Friday and when I collected it they told me it was fixed and that they had cleaned out the fuel filter.
    On the basis that they told me it was fixed, I filled up with a full tank of petrol and went on my way. On the weekend the exact same thing happened and I took it back on the Monday.
    The story then was that it was dirty fuel and they emptied the whole tank of petrol, did whatever, and then told me it was fixed and I could collect. I paid and was on my way again. But note when I collected my car was as filthy as anything!! AND there was a ding in the bonnet from what must have been a massive stone AND they had gotten a speeding fine in my car which I obviously paid (R300).
    Again, I collected before a weekend and again we drove it on the weekend and the first bit of traffic requiring that we idle, it happened again.

On the saturday, the exact same thing happened and we drove straight to the dealership but only sales staff were available.
    On the Monday we met with Bill Louw the dealer principal and told him the whole saga to which he promised that it would get resolved and that I would drive Morne's car - a KIA Picanto. (I had been driving my brothers Corsa bakkie at work and the car was being rotated to a new sales rep so I could no longer use it). ..... and this is the start of my colourful driving experience as well.

The stories or results of test reports that I received were varied during the many weeks - from it being the rail pressure sensor to being the rail pressure beam to it being the injectors and all the way back again. And bear in mind that the only way I got this feedback was by me doing the following up all the time!! PRomises to call me back are never kept.
    I didn't see my car again until the beginning of September at which time I was once again told that my car had been repaired and from collecting it on the Monday morning and then getting stuck in the middle of Hillbrow - I dropped it back off the same afternoon. They then sent my car to Bosch in Alrode to test the injectors and the conclusion was that they were faulty and so they submitted a warranty claim for the replacement of the injectors. But no stock, so my car sat waiting for the parts.
    Then in the middle of October I requested a bigger car as I was going to the Amashova and there was no way my bike would fit in the Picanto. I was given a second hand Santa Fe (which upon collecting it I was asked how much I loved Morne because he had organised me a Santa FE - I am like "Dude, you are not doing me any favours - hello, you are only putting me back in the position I was in - its not like you are taking a small car driver and putting them in a Porsche Cayenne!!!). Never mind that though, they gave me a comp for R100 diesel (I recall paying their R300 fine??)
    Anyway, drove the Santa Fe till about the middle of November and at this stage they then called to tell me that they had changed the injectors and I could collect.... again. I again collected on a Friday where I was told that Morne had driven it 120km's the day before and no problems. Very excited I took my car back (but note that the bonnet had not been repaired despite being promised that they woudl fix it and despite the fact that my car had been just sitting there for how long!! AND someone had stolen a pair of shoes that I had left in the car - very upsetting.)
    Anyway, collected my car drove from Alberton to the Woolies off Michelle Avenue to do some shopping - got back in the car and as I was pulling out the Sasol(?) garage onto Michelle ..... you guessed it..... it happened again. I called Morne straight away and he said that I should drive it for the weekend to test it. so okay that is what I did.

After getting stuck for 15min on Sunday in the middle of Lambton/Wadeville in an area I was unfamiliar with and then having it happen to me 3 times on taking the car back on the Monday I was fuming. Morne went with me in the car to test it as he could not understand how it could be happening as it did not happen when he drove my car. I asked him to try not revving the crap out of the car and rather to drive simulating traffic wherein he would be required to idle..... and yes, it happened again.

so now they think it is the catalytic convertor - so they give me some crappy Reno Logan (sux) and off we go again. Morne had resigned from there and his last day was at the end of November so on the friday (after driving the Reno for a week) I called to find out if my car was ready. If not, I wanted them to arrange a different car for me so that I could load up my bicycles. I called them on the Friday to check and was told by Eugene, the service manager, that they had driven it the day before and it was fine and that it was coming off the washbay whereupon he would give it another testdrive and phone me later (by the way, I am still waiting for that call!!!). Anyway, when I PHONED later, I was told that they were busy organising me another car - which I then collected - I guess that means Eugene's test drive didn't go so well? They gave me a Mazda CX-7 which is seriously heavy on fuel - about R300 for 200km's!!!

so now after not hearing anything for a week, Bennie phones me on Friday morning this week (a week after collecting the CX-7) to tell me that the CX-7 has been sold and that I must please bring it back. I responded that it was no problem but then that they should arrange a suitable replacement and not the Reno Logan. he told me he would see what he could do and call me back (he has still not phoned back). Then later that afternoon while we are at our christmas year end function, Ricky from the second hand car lot calls to find out if we can't just work a deal and trade my car in and I take the Cx-7 that I am driving. Now here is the thing-
    - it is not the more expensive CX-7 which means it is cheaper than my car;
    - it has 88000km on the clock and mine has 106000 - so it is slightly younger and has slightly less mileage -
    - why would I trade my car in for another car that is hot on the heels to having just as much mileage as my car and is a cheaper car!!! and when I said does that mean that they can't fix my car he basically confirmed it.

Then we phoned Bill Louw again (which by the way I should just mention that when I collected my car on the friday after they had fixed the injectors and dropped it off again on the Monday - he was by the service department both times and did not even bother to come and greet me or see how things were going, or apologies, nothing nada!!!)

On the phone Bill has promised to call me on Monday morning (we'll see) and with what - I am not sure? He also tried to blame me saying I have put 500ppn diesel instead of 50ppn diesel and that they are telling all the people who buy their cars now to buy 50ppn diesel - not sure but do not think you got two different types of diesel back in 2008, plus no one ever told me that when I bought the car AND I have driven it for 100km putting in diesel (not aware of which one) with no problems?
    At this stage if they cannot fix my car and it is still under warranty, I am starting to think the only solution is for them to replace it. Isn't that what VW, Audi or BMW would do? This has gone on long enough and is completely out of hand.

Long story - I apologise - but trust me, it has been longer for me to endure.

I have complained to customer care when they phone for followups but so far nothing has come of it - think I must try phone head office. can we phone Hyundai overseas - at the international head office?

Please advise as to what I should do or alternatively, if you have had a similar problem and it has been resolved, please tell me what is wrong with my car.

Email this to head office. All the addresses that come up on Google, there are about 15 If my memory serves me correctly. There are 3 other useful Hyundai forums, USA , Europe and Asia. Join them and post this on each.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Hey CaseyLincoln, dont waste your time going to Hyundai dealers. Call Christo right NOW, he will fix it for you. He is in Strijdom Park, Randburg, he will fix it for you. His number is 0847001157. Its a 2hour job (costs about R1,000) and all the car needs is cleaning the EGR valve. If you want to do it yourself, go on youtube and search "how to clean EGV valve"

Just out of curiosity how is the fuel consumption while its misbehaving like that? Mine dropped from 11L/100km to 7L/100km (heavy traffic). I am now considering "by-passing" the EGR valve.

Sorry i couldnt read your post to the end (i am at work (and forums is blocked) so am reading from my phone.
    "One of life's constants: If it's got boobs or wheels it will give you trouble" - rodneykdc

Also check the mass air flow sensor, this is a DIY thing. Just open the Mass Air flow pipe (the big tube close to the Inter cooler) and clean it.
    "One of life's constants: If it's got boobs or wheels it will give you trouble" - rodneykdc

I presumed that AND the MAF sensor had been done ? Surely ? Christo is great but, they did sneak on a new rear windscreen wiper blade when I went in for a auto gearbox refill, charging me for 16 bottles and putting in 9, and, they told me the MAF can't be cleaned ! I did that myself for R40. Keep your eyes open and sit next to the window…..
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Too bad @duncan, but a missing wiper would be better than what CaseyLincoln is going through right now!....oh did i mention they broke my Intercooler holding nuts....