Pajero Sport Thread

Page 1 of 153 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast

Default Pajero Sport Thread

This thread is for the Pajero Sport owners. Please share your experiences,Trips,Pic's, Modifications and Upgrades here.
    1. Ok I have a Pajero Sport, late 2010 facelift. I have fitted a Stofpad Bash plate, as well as n Gear Box Plate. I am currently looking around for a Snorkel and new AT tyres. I have been on a few trips/trails and I am very impressed. I still use the original tyres, Thought I would get some use out of them before replacing it. Fuel consumption is around 10.2 L/100km. Low Range could have been lower, but I suppose the Diesel engine compensates a bit cause it is very capable. Tows great, but towing under 90km/h doesnt work well, cause the G Box kicks back to 3rd to much. All and all a great car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00465-20110617-1657.jpg 
Views:	2711 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	113389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paj Eco Ad5.jpg 
Views:	2489 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	113390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pajero Eco Ad2.jpg 
Views:	2399 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	113391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paj Dikh.jpg 
Views:	2775 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	113392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bashplate 2.jpg 
Views:	2297 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	113393  
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2011/09/15 at 02:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

I've had my 2011 Sport new since May and I'm loving every minute with it! I bought it for touring with the family so don't intend doing any hectic trails with it! So far we've done a two week tour of the Northern Cape including Augrabies, Kgalagadi and Mokala. Future trips include Kruger in a few weeks time, Namibia and Caprivi next year June/July and Lesotho in April.

Consumption averages about 11.5l/100km combined driving, 10l/100km highway driving and 13l/100km towing the Bushpig trailer with cruise control @ 115km/hr. These figure could be better but I'm unfortunately addicted to the power !

Mods:

1. BFG A/T 265/65R17 since new
    2. Dual battery

Future Mods (in order of importance):

1. Escape Gear seat covers (2 kids )
    2. Long range fuel tank
    3. Frontrunner roofrack
    4. Snorkel for the future Botswana trips

Comfort, power, extra seats, super select 4x4

Dislikes:
    Small fuel tank, 4spd box a bit outdated

A magnificent car!

Name:	Snow in July 2011 (1).jpg 
Views:	1710 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	113461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow in July 2011 (2).jpg 
Views:	1762 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	113462  
    Last edited by Koppycat; 2011/09/15 at 08:05 PM.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

I took a test drive in the Pajero Sport yesterday. Very nice, one question that puzzles me though.
    How do you fit a fridge or drawer system over the rear fold down seats?

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Well people, my adventures down the Paj Sport lane began when I decided to scout around for a demo that was reasonably priced, from a dealer who would give me well over trade for my mint triton 2.5did 4x2. After looking at demos with low mileages which all looked like they were used by the libyan rebels, I found a beautiful metallic maroon (called medium red apparently) 2010 example at Umhlanga Mitsu with 16k on the clock and almost R100k off the new price, and fell in love. Since love is blind, I failed to check her out with my usual vigour, but still managed to pick up a few faults which the dealership repaired within my 5 day vacation period I was in Durbs.

This included a scratched drivers side window that was replaced, replacement of all the plastic silver spray painted interior door handles (for obvious reasons), replacement of the drivers side side step which was dented in from underneath (probably on some off road excursion) & the battery of unknown origin which had chinese writing all over it, a few superficial scratches on the rear wheel arches, and the fixing of the scratched cubby hole lid. The pre-owned division were very accommodating of all my demands, but their workshop failed to pick up on heat warped front discs (no idea how his could happen), even after I complained that the brakes were terrible. This was diagosed and replaced at the Union Motors in Nelspruit, and between Imperial and Mitsu Umhlanga, I have no idea who picked up the tab.

When arriving back at Nelspruit from Durbs, I replaced the dust clogged air filter element (was this thing EVER serviced?) with a K&N, and straight away could hear the turbo spooling and the noticeably faster throttle response. Once the diesel torque chip was plugged in, she became a bullet. A nudge bar is the only mod for now, but I am saving up for a bash plate (e-mailed Uys already).

Differences between the Sport and the triton? Well, the locally made tritons had WAY better paintwork than the Sport and probably all the imports as well...this is fact. The imports have some orange peel & ripple effects which you can see especially on the darker shades, but that's not to say its bad by any standard. The convenient storage tray under the passenger front seat is gone, the Sport has no auto locking facility (hijacking not a problem in thailand), and no auto window up (how lazy am I??). Compared to the now defunct local tritons, the brakes are woeful... even with the new discs. The sound system is also powerfully weak (why can the outlander's setup not be installed here??....but anyway an 8inch sub-woofer and new speakers are waiting in the wings), but the controls for the audio on the steering are very handy and look larney enough.

But the positives are those things which matter most .....ie engine and chassis. The cruise control is fantastic, and the steering is much more responsive than the triton's (as expected)...turning circle is good too. Its very nimble around town (don't know what CAR magazine was talking about) and is very, very fast away from the lights. A beaut of an engine and is much more refined than the 2.5did (could be the extra sound deadening though). The auto box hampers cruising ability at highway speeds because it saps too much torque, but is otherwise easy to live with. The interior is lovely, and the ride very comfortable. She handles nicely too, as I took her down schoemanskloof pass at breakneck speeds and she glues herself to the road and hardly leans over on the fast bends Despite being shorter than the triton, the interior is vast......you can pack in lots more than a fortuner as it makes much better utilisation of its space. She's also quite a rarity on the roads, and this makes it even more special. Off road....I've got no idea.....never taken her off the beaten path, but a trip to kruger is on the cards.

Despite my teething problems which are now almost sorted, I've got a good car at a price which was comparatively several thousand less than an equivalent fortuner (still expensive though). She's a keeper
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by preyalin; 2011/09/26 at 10:29 AM.
    2016 Mercedes C250d - surprisingly quick
    2013 Mercedes C200 Edition C - SOLD
    2013 PJS 2.5did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2010 PJS 3.2did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2009 Triton 2.5did 4x2 d/c - SOLD

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preyalin For This Useful Post:

I got mine in June, and I love her to bits.

The ride is fantastic and smooth. Yes she's a bit thirsty, but you dont buy a 4x4 in the hopes of winning the Total economy run do you? I dont have to much of an issue with the auto box even though im coming from a DSG Golf. The relaxed drive is good, it keeps me rustig on a long journey.

The things that irritate the living shite out of me though are mainly the radio issues. For a 400k car, you EXPECT RDS. I mean, who the hell makes a radio without RDS anymore That is unforgivable, especially on a long journey. The strearing wheel control for frequency up and down do just that, move the frequency, not the preset stations!!!! What the hell is the point then?

And after just getting back from a 3700km round trip, the thing that grinds me most right now, is the exessive intake of dust. We just spent 6 days in the Kruger doing a lot of the dirt roads, and there is dust everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Yes I drove with the window down, but put it up, and turned on the recirculate when we approached other cars, but to no avail. Most of my luggage and fridge cover are coated in a layer of dust which comes from the vented panels in the back of the car. I removed the panel that houses the jack, and the dust in there is rather insane. I'm trying to find out if it is pluggable somehow, but for now, sealing those vents will have to do. I've done a similar trip in my golf, and never had half the amount of dust.

As for mods,

BFG AT's
    Dual battery (Luna Box)
    Bashplate
    Frontrunner Roof Rack

In answer to granlors question.......

Because its just me and the wife, the jump seats were pretty useless to me. I was also contemplating a drawer system at some stage, but not right now. I was also a bit weary of putting a heavy fridge on the folded seats, so as an interim measure, I had the jump seats removed (Not difficult) and had a decking installed to bring it up level again. The deck lids are removeable, giving you some extra storage space. Basically, a steel frame was constructed and secured into the existing holes that the jump seats were bolted to.

I also found, coming from my golf, the Paj's front cabin was an ergonomic nightmare for me, with bino's and camera's around, I had nowhere to put them. The camera for now, just sits on a couple bean bags on top of the hand brake, but the bino's Well, I had a couple of headrest covers made with a pocket in the back to stow the binos. All you do is reach over your head and pull them out, then put them back the same way. I thought it was genius

All in all though, I'm very happy, as long as I have my ipod on a long trip, and hopefully find some kind of mod to sort out this dust issue.

Oh yes, and i'm doing the 2012 Put Foot Rally in her Cant friggin wait!

Name:	IMG_0585 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	1683 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	114830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	1985 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	114831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0595 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	114832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110913-00157.jpg 
Views:	1612 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	114833  
    Last edited by tyrant; 2011/09/27 at 04:42 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyrant For This Useful Post:

I also hate that the Sport does not have RDS on the radio. On long journeys, you are left struggling with radio frequencies. Its a pain. On the Triton, I just binned the old radio and replaced it with a Phillips DVD player! It had a micro SD card slot, USB port, a DVD player with 3 inch screen and RCA outputs - and I loved it! On the Sport, those steering wheel controls make installing that thing again not viable, so now I am looking at an Alpine 9887! It does come with an optional steering wheel control interface that will work on the Sport, but does not integrate with the dash LCD display. But so what? All the display tells you now is the frequency of the radio station you are on...a reminder that it has no RDS! The rest of the LCD display functions will work the same.

Btw, have you seen the speakers in the doors? I think they are 8 watts PMPO or something. Great for listening to SAFM....useless for anything else. Chuck it as well. A set of nice co-axials in the four doors even with the standard head unit sounds a million times better, and won't break the bank. Don't go the mids/splits route unless you have an external amp to power them properly. I'm getting my pioneer 8inch sub with built in amp mounted to the right hand side of the cargo bay (a la Outlander, which has it on the left) - just for that small bit of extra bass. Will post a pic when its done - maybe you can follow suite.
    2016 Mercedes C250d - surprisingly quick
    2013 Mercedes C200 Edition C - SOLD
    2013 PJS 2.5did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2010 PJS 3.2did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2009 Triton 2.5did 4x2 d/c - SOLD

Here is a pic of the G Box plate fitted. In front bolted onto the Bash plate, creating a massive peace of protection from the front to the middle past the G Box

Default Pajero Sport RDS Issue

Quote Originally Posted by preyalin View Post
    I also hate that the Sport does not have RDS on the radio. On long journeys, you are left struggling with radio frequencies. Its a pain. On the Triton, I just binned the old radio and replaced it with a Phillips DVD player! It had a micro SD card slot, USB port, a DVD player with 3 inch screen and RCA outputs - and I loved it! On the Sport, those steering wheel controls make installing that thing again not viable, so now I am looking at an Alpine 9887! It does come with an optional steering wheel control interface that will work on the Sport, but does not integrate with the dash LCD display. But so what? All the display tells you now is the frequency of the radio station you are on...a reminder that it has no RDS! The rest of the LCD display functions will work the same.

Btw, have you seen the speakers in the doors? I think they are 8 watts PMPO or something. Great for listening to SAFM....useless for anything else. Chuck it as well. A set of nice co-axials in the four doors even with the standard head unit sounds a million times better, and won't break the bank. Don't go the mids/splits route unless you have an external amp to power them properly. I'm getting my pioneer 8inch sub with built in amp mounted to the right hand side of the cargo bay (a la Outlander, which has it on the left) - just for that small bit of extra bass. Will post a pic when its done - maybe you can follow suite.
    I cannot find it, but I am sure that there were some posts on this issue, where the guys complained and had the unit replaced by Mitsubishi with an RDS one.

Took delivery of our new Pajero Sport last week.

Looking forward to testing it out on the long road.
    Last edited by Red-J; 2012/01/16 at 01:38 PM.

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Congrats Red-J! now go get her dirty!

What rear tow bar options are there for the Sport? I'm looking for something neat that includes decent recovery points?

Anyone got any pics of their tow bars?

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Congratulations on a fine machine! And she does look elegant in silver. I'll check on the tow bar thing from a friend who runs a fitment centre. They are not the most pleasing on the eye though, due to the Y shaped brackets that have to fit around that spare wheel. Uurgh. But go check out the Malayasian Pajero Forum - those crazy guys just ditch the spare wheel altogether and fit regular towbars with twin exhausts! Pimping....

Congratulations on your purchase Red-J - you've made a great choice!

I had the Mitsubishi towbar fitted to my vehicle when I purchased it (It was R4,700.00) and from the rear it is a neat fit (photo attached). You don't have any exposed tubing or frame to mount recovery points to so this might prove difficult with the factory option. I might drop my spare wheel later to see what the tow bar structure looks like, but either way it would require some surgery to the bumper to fit recovery points.

This brings me to another topic!

My one complaint of the Sport is the pathetic sized fuel tank and if you look at my photo the spare wheel already hangs quite low so I am not keen on fitting an auxillary tank which will drop it even further. I am dead keen on a replacement bumper like this one available in Oz

http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/mi...er_2010_PB.php

Spoken to a few suppliers like Lynx etc but nobody has one for the Sport and because of the small volume of them sold there are no plans to build one. With a decent replacement bumper like this it would solve the recovery point, extra fuel and spare wheel issues.

Maybe we could get a group of Sport owners together and get one of the suppliers to make on?

Cheers, Jason

When I flitted my tow bar I only lost the right rear recovery point. you can have the factory fitted tow bar so that they keep the left rear recovery point. i saw that on some they remove both(this is wrong). Front runner through LA Sport PTA east builds a LR tank (42L) that doesn't drop the spare wheel lower and fits.

Hope this helps

The nice thing about this tow bar, is that it is bolted to the Chassis and not to the body. Thus making it very strong.

I have done some serious tracks (level4) and my spare wheel has never caught or touched anywhere. Ok My suspension is lifted, but even before that never.

Some Pics of 2011 December Holiday's

Name:	2011 P.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	128241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p1.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	128242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p2.jpg 
Views:	930 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	128243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p3.jpg 
Views:	944 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	128244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p4.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	128245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p5.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	128246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p6.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	128247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p7.jpg 
Views:	883 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	128248  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p8.jpg 
Views:	866 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	128249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011p9.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	128250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P10.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	128251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P11.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	128252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P12.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	128253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P13.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	128254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P14.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	128255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P15.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	128256  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P16.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	128257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011P17.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	128258  

Default Used Pajero Sport

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice.

I am looking at purchasing a used Pajero Sport. (to replace my 4x2 auto Fortuner, 4x4 auto Fortuners are just too expensive...even used ones).

I have found an October 2010 model, 48000km. Very good condition . It is the updated model with the rear disc brakes.

The asking price is R330000 on the road.

Balance of warranty and service plan are valid.

From your experiences with these vehicles, does this seem like a fair price / good purchase ?

Are there any areas on these cars that I should check out more clearly ? Although I am covered by warranty still so any repairs should be covered.

Thanks
    Peter

Hi Peter,

Can't really comment on the price, the only ones I've seen for sale at the KZN dealerships have all been 2011 models with 10k to 30k on the clocks and these have generally been advertised for R370k.

Great cars and I've had no problems to date so can't comment on any niggles.

Hope you can lay your hands on it..!

Cheers,
    Jason

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Hey Bostokkelos,

Thanks for the info re fuel tanks etc. I'll get hold of LA Sport about the LR tank. Both the Frontrunner and Exel drop the spare wheel a few inches so wasn't keen on that.

I'm keen to do a Namib tour in July so need to sort out recovery points so I'm going to get my Sport over the workshop pit and see what you're talking about.

Cheers, Jason

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 153 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast