Page 158 of 160 FirstFirst ... 58 108 133 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3190

Default Re: Pajero Sport Thread

[QUOTE=rvdm1;4564419]A stofpad bash plate is definitely on the list, just not an immediate priority as doing trails isn't my main goal with the PS.

I will definitely recommend that, I have the shogun model which came with all the extras and it saved me quite a few times to date. Just recently, I was not paying attention where I was driving talking to swambo and looking at the landscape when I struck a concrete block boulder sort of round shape. By the time I managed to stop the vehicle the nose was already in the air giving you a monster truck feeling in side the cockpit. I reversed back, expecting the nudge bar, front bumper to be damaged etc. To my amaze absolutely no damage, the bash plate only had fresh white concrete marks on it which just rubbed off, no dent no nothing.

As said, will definitely recommend the stofpad bash plate.

Nico
    Nico J.v.Rensburg

2016 - PS 2.5 4X4

2008 - Colt 2.8tdi 4X4

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nico2.8tdi For This Useful Post:

Those Stofpad Bashplates are really good value for money. Give Uys on the forum a shout if you need accessories from Stofpad [QUOTE=Nico2.8tdi;4564531]
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdm1 View Post
    A stofpad bash plate is definitely on the list, just not an immediate priority as doing trails isn't my main goal with the PS.

I will definitely recommend that, I have the shogun model which came with all the extras and it saved me quite a few times to date. Just recently, I was not paying attention where I was driving talking to swambo and looking at the landscape when I struck a concrete block boulder sort of round shape. By the time I managed to stop the vehicle the nose was already in the air giving you a monster truck feeling in side the cockpit. I reversed back, expecting the nudge bar, front bumper to be damaged etc. To my amaze absolutely no damage, the bash plate only had fresh white concrete marks on it which just rubbed off, no dent no nothing.

As said, will definitely recommend the stofpad bash plate.

Nico
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Toast View Post
    If you are going to do 4x4 trails or sand dunes it is adviseable to upgrade the bash plate to something substantial.

It was the first thing I did to my Triton, and it is well worth the expense.
    Very good advice. I have the OEM bashplate, and seriously dented it at Sandani on sand. It did protect the vehicle, but something a bit more substantial would give me great peace of mind.

I saw on my Pajero Sport that I've got some protection over the fuel tank which also took a dent, and I am glad for the protection, but definitely worth upgrading too.

I am going to upgrade to a Rhino 3d Evolution bumper, which comes with a 5mm aluminum bashplate which should to the trick.

And btw congratulations and happy km's
    "The very core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure." ~ Christopher McCandless

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 (stolen)
    2020 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4x4 A/T

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mic.E For This Useful Post:

Gents, Iím on the brink of getting a 3.2 PS, auto.
    FSH. 178000km
    When I take it to an indie for its 180000km service what items should be seen to?

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    FSH. 178000km
    When I take it to an indie for its 180000km service what items should be seen to?
    That's a massive service. Rather get a detailed quote from dealer (about 12k), which lists all the parts - then you can take it to your indie with part numbers and all.
    Clever seller wanting to sell now!
    2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    FSH. 178000km
    If you are in Cape Town and surrounds, give MitsuCare a call.
    2010 Pajero Sport

2011 Triton 3.2 C/C 4x4 (sold, excellent vehicle)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone.

I have a question that has been bugging me for some time.
    Is it possible to have a roof top tent on a 2015 PS, I know the rated static load on the roof is 80kg,but is that limited to the factory fitted roof rails?

Thanks in advance

Paul
    Project= 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.5V6 Auto
    Mine= 2015 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Manual (=400Nm )
    Missus= 2013 Audi 1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI
    EX= 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XSEL
    Ex = 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 20 GLS
    Ex = Triumph Daytona 600
    EX = 2001 Disco TD5 AT her name was Olive
    Ex = 1987 Tasman Formula Vee

Again this always depends on the how you intend to kit out your PS and what you going to use it for... but If you go for the lighter ďfibreglassĒ RTTís or fold upís your load on your factory fitted bars will be fine. It is however much better to try fit a roof rack then obviously the application becomes endless but as a rule of thumb try not load too much weigh up high. Heavier try objects keep in the cab - lower your centre of gravity wherever possible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-PS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieB View Post
    Is it possible to have a roof top tent on a 2015 PS, I know the rated static load on the roof is 80kg,but is that limited to the factory fitted roof rails?
    I queried this with Mitsubishi last year and their response to me was that the roof load rating as stated in the vehicle specifications is based on the factory fitted rails and is a maximum of 80kg. They said if you were to fit a proper rack such as Front Runner/Eezi-Awn or similar then you would be able to safely load up to a maximum of 150kg in regards to vehicle/roof strength, however they recommend that for any vehicle you try not to exceed 100kg regardless of roof/rack load rating due to how it changes a vehicles center of gravity and handling abilities.

I cannot guarantee that the above is true or if the agent I discussed this with possibly provided misleading/incorrect information. Rather confirm the roof load rating with Mitsubishi yourself to be 100% sure, perhaps you can add to or correct what I have said above if they provide you with different information.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 AT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5 AT

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieB View Post
    Hello everyone.

I have a question that has been bugging me for some time.

Thanks in advance

Paul
    I have seen many PS 2.5 version with roof rack. Of course you need a proper rack to fit it on.

Roof racks weigh about, the worst around 80 kg, the best around 50 kg (iKamper). So, I am sure that's under the limit of the roof that it can carry.

I have seen one at Frontrunner Sunninghill itself, a PS with iKamper 4 sleeper on (72 kg).
    And if you go lighter 2 sleeper, I am sure you'll be fine.

I don't have a roof top tent, therefore I would like to stand to be corrected by someone who has one.
    Last edited by Teryos; 2021/02/01 at 03:56 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teryos For This Useful Post:

The standard roof rails are pretty flimsy, and is quoted as the weakest point. (well "quoted") Think about it, in a crash you should be ok-ish - if you are lucky - if your car rolls on its roof - the structure is pretty strong.

Note that there is a difference between static and dynamic load. Mitsu is giving you their comfortable dynamic load values for the standard roof rails. So a teenager can get on those rails and they should be fine (static load), if they jump on it (dynamic load) they will most likely break something.

So your workaround: get a proper roof rack installed. I've got a front runner full rack on mine. Frontrunner won't tell you what the load bearing capacity is because they'll get flack from Mitsu if anything breaks. Mitsu won't give you a load value because it is not their kit. Catch 22. (Unofficially I've heard someone quote 300kg on a Frontrunner full rack - properly installed)

So. Ask those who have had the racks for their experience.

I nearly freaked out one day when my brother in law got onto my pre-trip loaded roofrack with +- 100kg worth of stuff already up there (besides the weight of the roofrack itself). He happily walked around and asked what else must come on? I quickly mentioned everything's fine and cringed as he climbed back down. So maybe 200kg up there that time. Also bear in mind that 200kg is a LOT of weight up there - she definitely feels top-heavy and sways a bit more when cornering. So the handling is affected, but manageable. With Jerry cans I might have pushed it up to 160kg. Now with that weight I did Richtersveld, and other long trips - I would not do horrible cross-overs or steep side leans because the centre of gravity is now higher. The rack looks fine, no structural damage that I can see, and I still felt safe. Strap things down properly and check often.

I'm sure that a rooftop tent on a proper roofrack with 2 or 3 people up there will not be a problem (static load). Just don't drive around with them up there or they'll becomes bodies ( (get it?)

Remember dynamic load deals with impacts (force over a short period - the smaller the period the larger the impact), the higher the frequency (jarrying corrugations eg.) the worse it gets - and it is large impacts that breaks stuff. The math is out there, but my thumbsuck is that static load is about 10x your dynamic load of the roof. And dynamic load is not just up and down, but side to side as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb894kH3SJs to see dynamic load in action, and what you need to consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNx97jqzUuY , and some math if you feel like digging into the physics https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...oof-top-tents/

and obviously all my disclaimers apply

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredSport For This Useful Post:

Can certainly agree with this. FIL used my roof rack on his PS, the strap on version from Frontrunner (By the way, never get his option).

As mentioned dynamic load is around 80kg, which is nothing. He had 4 Jerry cans, wood, spare tire and a few other stuff strapped on. At the end of his trip the roof rails had bent so much from the dynamic overloading that th rack almost sat fluch on the roof!

So, just bite the bullet and get the rack fitted properly. Standard racks are for strapping your bike or kayak to for short trips.

Definitely not made for overlanding!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredSport View Post
    The standard roof rails are pretty flimsy, and is quoted as the weakest point. (well "quoted") Think about it, in a crash you should be ok-ish - if you are lucky - if your car rolls on its roof - the structure is pretty strong.

Note that there is a difference between static and dynamic load. Mitsu is giving you their comfortable dynamic load values for the standard roof rails. So a teenager can get on those rails and they should be fine (static load), if they jump on it (dynamic load) they will most likely break something.

So your workaround: get a proper roof rack installed. I've got a front runner full rack on mine. Frontrunner won't tell you what the load bearing capacity is because they'll get flack from Mitsu if anything breaks. Mitsu won't give you a load value because it is not their kit. Catch 22. (Unofficially I've heard someone quote 300kg on a Frontrunner full rack - properly installed)

So. Ask those who have had the racks for their experience.

I nearly freaked out one day when my brother in law got onto my pre-trip loaded roofrack with +- 100kg worth of stuff already up there (besides the weight of the roofrack itself). He happily walked around and asked what else must come on? I quickly mentioned everything's fine and cringed as he climbed back down. So maybe 200kg up there that time. Also bear in mind that 200kg is a LOT of weight up there - she definitely feels top-heavy and sways a bit more when cornering. So the handling is affected, but manageable. With Jerry cans I might have pushed it up to 160kg. Now with that weight I did Richtersveld, and other long trips - I would not do horrible cross-overs or steep side leans because the centre of gravity is now higher. The rack looks fine, no structural damage that I can see, and I still felt safe. Strap things down properly and check often.

I'm sure that a rooftop tent on a proper roofrack with 2 or 3 people up there will not be a problem (static load). Just don't drive around with them up there or they'll becomes bodies ( (get it?)

Remember dynamic load deals with impacts (force over a short period - the smaller the period the larger the impact), the higher the frequency (jarrying corrugations eg.) the worse it gets - and it is large impacts that breaks stuff. The math is out there, but my thumbsuck is that static load is about 10x your dynamic load of the roof. And dynamic load is not just up and down, but side to side as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb894kH3SJs to see dynamic load in action, and what you need to consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNx97jqzUuY , and some math if you feel like digging into the physics https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...oof-top-tents/

and obviously all my disclaimers apply
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:

A statistical comparison between the PS and the equivalent Everest. Need to unfortunately agree that stats don't lie, except on the 4x4 system where the Everest is plainweg not in the same class compared to the PS, although still very capable in my opinion.

I know that come Feb 2024 I am testing both these to decide on a brand new car for myself on my 50th B/Day.

2018 Triton 4x4 2.4 Di-D
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerd For This Useful Post:

Roof Rack weight is an issue. I had a Front Runner RR on my Sport, on the original rails. I know for a fact I loaded it above 150 kg, and i felt it, until I upgraded my rear coils to heavy duty. Made a massive difference, was much stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Roof Rack weight is an issue. I had a Front Runner RR on my Sport, on the original rails. I know for a fact I loaded it above 150 kg, and i felt it, until I upgraded my rear coils to heavy duty. Made a massive difference, was much stable.
    Could it also be the case that having the roof rack on top of the factory roof rails made it unstable? Just wondering... because height of the whole roof rack would have been quite high which I think makes a difference.

I got the front runner roofrack mounted to the roof, standard rails removed.

It's a very sturdy thing. Cant foresee issues with a RTT
    2010 Pajero Sport

2011 Triton 3.2 C/C 4x4 (sold, excellent vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Could it also be the case that having the roof rack on top of the factory roof rails made it unstable? Just wondering... because height of the whole roof rack would have been quite high which I think makes a difference.

Could have an effect, yet, it wasn't the issue anymore after the suspension upgrade. On my Gen 4 Pajero I drive now the RR is installed having the Roof rails removed. That has no issues, but I do have airbags in the coils at the rear that I inflate.

Just my 2c on the whole roof rack story. If you want to load the roof with tents and camping equipment, go the route of aftermarket rails such as EEZI-AWN's K9 system or Frontrunner. On these you should not have any strength issues, the load is distributed over the entire length of the roof and I believe the roof should be able to handle quite a bit of load for safety reasons i.e. in the event of an accident.

Your biggest problem will be the center of gravity which is moved a whole lot higher once you start loading the roof. Imagine carrying out a moose test with a RTT, jerry cans and a spare tyre on the roof. It will become very scary very quickly.

All that said, I had my K9 rack fitted today and I am very happy with the rack and service received from EEZI-AWN. My Pajero sport looks the part and I am really looking forward to my first proper outing in it. We have a two week trip coming up soon.

PS: they took off the factory rails today and just judging by their weight, they can't be the strongest.

Name:  87dd9eaf-e9ab-47a7-a691-5cf11bb15e0e.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  486.1 KB
    Last edited by rvdm1; 2021/02/04 at 06:28 AM.
    RvdM

2017 Mitsubishi PS 2.5DI-D 4x4 MT
    2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M (SOLD)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rvdm1 For This Useful Post:

Hi all

My 2015 Sport is for sale.

Please contact me via mail at simon(dot)[email protected](dot)com, or 0834410021 (failing which +447830652420 if I don't answer). It can be viewed in Pretoria.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2021/02/04 at 04:20 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Hi Simon,
    What's on your radar?