Default Nissan Tracker for overland

I'm planning an overland trip from South Africa to Egypt. I'm thinking of buying a Nissan 720 Tracker Diesel because this is a cheap option (I've a limited budget). But I'm wondering whether or not this is a good idea. From others I heard that the Tracker is a reliable car but I'm concerned about the parts availability in the Northern part of Africa. Is it a good idea to do the overland with a Tracker? Or is it no problem if I take enough spare parts?

An other option will be a FJ45 Land Cruiser (not Diesel but on Petrol). This option will be more expensive for me and I wonder if this is a better option to do my trip. Who can help me out with this?

That Tracker is a strong car. Also with that diesel engine, it is not strong enough to break anything. So yes. It is a real option.

PS. Just make sure that suspension is 100% before you leave. That front suspension is known for not being quite Africa proof.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Thanks for your quick response! What parts of the front suspension are weak?

Agree with Henris. I think your possible biggest problem with the Tracker is the front suspension. Take enough bits along. Measure your distances very carefully on your tie rods, mark the new one and set them up for a simple knock out and put new ones in.

I have replaced a few sets like this and only much later had them tested at a pro shop for alignment, and found it to be damn close.

Do NOT go Partquip replacement parts in this department. I have found one of the best to be Teknorot, and the price is nearly the same as Partquip, but you get nearly military spec parts.

Must say I would rather be looking into a diesel Patrol or Cruiser with SFA for this trip.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I don't know the Nissan Tracker but I do know that if you are worried about sourcing spare parts on the road, then either go with Land Cruiser, Hilux or Land Rover (Series, 110, Defender or Puma). You won't find parts for anything else outside of the major centres.