Colt 3.0 Snorkel???

Default Colt 3.0 Snorkel???

I have always considered the advantages of a snorkel on my previous Pajero and now again on my Colt. I have read extensively about Andre St Pierre White's tests and reasons for fitting snorkels and I fully agree. He claims excesive amounts of dust accumulates in your airbox and can be potentially harmfull to your engine.

The past weekend we did the Kwaggaskloof ralley outside Worcester and along the route ended up in a mud pool. Very nice play area. Apart from one vehicle (lets leave it there) taking in excesive amounts of water dying in the middle of the pool, everyone else came out of it looking like old SA Army vehicles.

Sunday I cleaned my motor and upon opening the airbox I found water and mud in the inside (bottom) of the airbox. Nothing went through the filter, although the filter was dirty. I keep stock of the filters and change them after every ralley or gravel trip in access of 100km.

Now, my question is whether this would have been nullified with a snorkel? Would the snorkel actually help to prevent anything other than dust particals entereing the airbox? How tight is the sealing of the snorkel intake??

I phone for a quotation on a Safari snorkel and was told Safari does not make a snorkel for the Colt 3.0. So which other options do I have. I saw a add in outdoor magazine about Ironman doing a snorkel. Dont know if they do it either.

Are there other guys out there with a snorkel on a Colt 3.0. Which make and do you believe it is a "savour" to your motor's air intake?

Thanks for the time
    Karel
    '19 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete
    '15 Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by Karel View Post
    I have always considered the advantages of a snorkel on my previous Pajero and now again on my Colt. I have read extensively about Andre St Pierre White's tests and reasons for fitting snorkels and I fully agree. He claims excesive amounts of dust accumulates in your airbox and can be potentially harmfull to your engine.

The past weekend we did the Kwaggaskloof ralley outside Worcester and along the route ended up in a mud pool. Very nice play area. Apart from one vehicle (lets leave it there) taking in excesive amounts of water dying in the middle of the pool, everyone else came out of it looking like old SA Army vehicles.

Sunday I cleaned my motor and upon opening the airbox I found water and mud in the inside (bottom) of the airbox. Nothing went through the filter, although the filter was dirty. I keep stock of the filters and change them after every ralley or gravel trip in access of 100km.

Now, my question is whether this would have been nullified with a snorkel? Would the snorkel actually help to prevent anything other than dust particals entereing the airbox? How tight is the sealing of the snorkel intake??

I phone for a quotation on a Safari snorkel and was told Safari does not make a snorkel for the Colt 3.0. So which other options do I have. I saw a add in outdoor magazine about Ironman doing a snorkel. Dont know if they do it either.

Are there other guys out there with a snorkel on a Colt 3.0. Which make and do you believe it is a "savour" to your motor's air intake?

Thanks for the time
    Karel
    Thats rubbish, my truck is a 3.5 blister body shape and I fabricated my Safari snorkel and it was not hard to do either, but first of all, for peace of mind before you start fabricating remove the bottom section ans investigate and see if the water didn't geting that way, as it only takes a little hole and if your in deep mud or water, then it would get in that way, anyhow you WILL have to remove the box to do the work on it and to give yourself a bit of room, when your drilling the big hole through the outer and inner wing walls, anyhow here's a pic of my one, its next to my pals big orange LOL, its on the left side of the photo, best of luck fabricating, if you go ahead and do it yourself. Jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can not believe there are no comments on this thread. Does no one have snorkels or whats wrong?

Hope to get some ideas whether snorkel is the way to go or not.

Thanks
    Karel
    '19 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete
    '15 Jurgens XT140

Hi Karel
    I've got an Airtec Snorkel on my Colt. You can buy them from LA Sport but they are scarce and expensive. WRT the mud in the airbox I reckon that a snorkel will defenitely prevent that if there is no other holes in your airbox. Remember your standard intake sits behind your headlight just above the wheel almost a meter lower than your snorkel intake. If you are regularly going to use your vehicle to venture into the bush with excessive dust and the odd watercrossing the snorkels have defenite benefits. Just remember it doesn't magically turn your vehicle into a submarine. There are vulnerable electronics lower than your intake which dictates your maximum wading depth.

This pic is about the best I have to show the snorkel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Diver14u Guest

Hey Karel
    Not sure if you have come right with a snorkel for your colt if you want its a R1800 delivered to your door step.
    Just put one on mine if you want ill post pics

Cheers Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Diver14u View Post
    Hey Karel
    Not sure if you have come right with a snorkel for your colt if you want its a R1800 delivered to your door step.
    Just put one on mine if you want ill post pics

Cheers Shaun
    Hi Shaun can u please post the pics...i want to see what it looks like
    2005 Isuzu KB300 D/C Auto
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Hi Shaun,

I second Kallie. As they say, a picture describes more than a 1000 words.

Cheers

Johan

Colt Clubcab 3.0i 4x2

"I'm but a lump of clay, GOD is the potter"