East Africa Camping Sites - Recommendations and Links

Default East Africa Camping Sites - Recommendations and Links

My wife and I (retired) are leaving RSA on the 1st October and are travelling up north as far as Ethiopia. We are towing a trailer with RTT and plan to spend about 6 months in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda, Zambia, Namabia and Botswana before returning home.

We need to be very frugal with our expenses so camping will be our first choice except in Ethiopia.

We hope to pick up information from other travellers as to where the best places are en route.

I would appreciate it if 4x4 Community members could assist us in posting information or good links to help us with our planning.

We will be using a selection of paper maps, travel quides (Bradt and Lonely Planet) as well as Tracks 4 Africa as our references. T4A seems to list a lot of camping sites but most do not have contact details...... only a name.
    Peter & Jenny Elstob
    Mazambaan TIA Trip Into Africa 2011 - 2012
    Mazambane is isiZulu for potato
    Landcruiser Prado Diesel 1998
    Parkhurst, JHB

Sounds great. We spent two years doing a similar trip, and would happily spend even longer doing it again! Your best source of information is other travellers, and you will meet many of them coming south. A few pointers though:
    Unlike a decade or so back, there are now many camp sites set up on major routes specifically aimed at overlanders. In East Africa and especially Ethiopia, almost any small town hotel/hoteli will have a secure compound and they are usually more than happy for you to pitch a rooftop tent in their parking lot. This is particularly true of Ethiopia.
    The Bradt guides are excellent as are the Rough Guides. Lonely Planet are a lot less reliable as a lot of their info comes from stuff sent in by backpackers who didn't necessarily keep good notes.
    In countries that haven't yet hiked their park fees sky high, national parks are always a good bet for camping. If you are caught short along the road, look for the nearest church or school and negotiate a camping fee with the headmaster/priest.
    For bush camping, gravel pits for road works and cut lines under power lines are always useful places for finding an out of site place to spend the night.
    Also scour this forum for camp sites - there are plenty of references under the various country headings.

Hi,

We are nearing the end of our trip but have spent the last couple of years working our way up from Namibia (we're currently in Egypt).

I'm attaching a link to our website. We don't always mention the name of where we stay but tend to if it was somewhere special. Otherwise if we have stopped at places that coincide with your planned route and you want to know where we stayed and what we thought of it let me know and I'll do my best to remember! You might want to check out the info pages on each country too re things like fuel prices, entry requirements and so on - click on the Route page then follow the links per country.

Enjoy your planning.

www.off2africa.org

Default Ethiopia

Sorry fot my bad english language...
    Last year I travel from France to Nairobi and I stay one month in Ethiopia.
    The bushcamp is not very easy because there is a lot of curious, very curious people. You can't stay 10mn everywhere without 20 or 30 spectators. An other reason is that there are not much tracks to avoid major roads. But it is sometimes possible.
    The most frequent solution is to camp in a hotel courtyard.
    The attached file content all the campsites of the travel. If you copy it on the T4A map you will find places to camp in Ethiopia.
    If you give me your private mail I can send you other waypoints and my track.
    Ethiopia is a fascistic country but she is worth.
    Olivier Crasquin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Olivier
    Thanks for the recommendations. We are very excited about our trip and leaving in just one week's time.
    Our trailer has had to have a new upgraded axle and "A" frame fitted. All this is being done courtesy of Jurgens Caravans here in Gauteng, South Africa. Apparently our trailer was manufactured in the first batch made by them and in the past two years they have made some improvements in the design to ensure minimal problems on a trip.
    We have had other comments regarding the hotels in Ethiopia having secure parking areas where one can park vehicles. In many cases the rooms are reasonably priced so one parks and stay in a proper room.
    Peter & Jenny Elstob
    Parkhurst, JHB

Jenny & Peter.

I presume you read Catt & Dawie's account of their SA to UK trip? Here....

Have a wonderful trip!!! You'd struggle not to! When you get back, I'd be interested to hear whether you still think towing a trailer was the right decision.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Mike

Thanks for the comments. I was not aware of Catt & Dawie's trip ....... have just had a brief look and will probably spend a lot of time going through it before we leave next Saturday.

We got our Ethiopian visas this week (Six months and multiple entries).

A lot of things still have to be finalised. Quite a few custom enhancements to the electrics in the vehicle and trailer (all to do with solar panel, regulators, chargers and LED lighting) will have to completed on the trip.

We are thinking of leaving the trailer in Kenya whilst we are in Ethiopia and around the lakes (Uganda and Rwanda) if the towing gets too much.

Our plan is to take it very slowly on the road (max 100km/h) and not to cover much more than 2 - 300 km per day when we move on to the next destination.

Thanks to my daughter Sarah, who arrived back from the UK after working for 5 years in the City of London we are able to make the trip possible. Jenny's mom is living with us and at 93 years old we are pleased to have someone else to assist with looking after the house and home.
    Peter & Jenny Elstob
    Parkhurst, JHB

I presume you have a carnet?
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsa01 View Post
    Olivier
    We have had other comments regarding the hotels in Ethiopia having secure parking areas where one can park vehicles. In many cases the rooms are reasonably priced so one parks and stay in a proper room.
    I would suggest that you always inspect the rooms before deciding - in most cases, we opted to pay the room fee and sleep in our rooftop tent. In a small town called Murso, en route from Addis to Dire Dawa and Harar, we stayed in what seemed like a very good local hotel and both Liz and I ended up with nasty skin infections from some or other bug that crawled across us at night and left something similar to an acid burn on our skins. Bed bugs are a very common problem as well.

You may well want to think twice about towing your caravan on the hell run route from just past Marsabit in Kenya to the Moyale border post with Ethiopia, if you take the conventional route north. The Lake Turkana route may be even more challenging with a caravan in two (see Dawie and Catt's blog for a description of that route).

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsa01 View Post
    My wife and I (retired) are leaving RSA on the 1st October and are travelling up north as far as Ethiopia. We are towing a trailer with RTT and plan to spend about 6 months in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda, Zambia, Namabia and Botswana before returning home.
    Hi there, you will see, 6 months are not enough.
    For campsites see my travel itinerary 2009 and 2011
    2011 is linked to the english blog.

If any questions about the accomodations, post here or email me.

You may well want to think twice about towing your caravan on the hell run route from just past Marsabit in Kenya
    I fully agree with that, we di get to Samburu without a trailer....
    rather enjoy few countries and travel less.

max 100km/h
    will talk about that when your back!

I would need all the info for this tour. We planning to leave my home town in the North cape on the 1st of July 2013. The plan is to drive from South Africa to Kenya and back to South Africa in 60 days.

If any one know of good campsites along the road or even the road please send us some advice.

The places along the road we would like to visit is as follows :

1. Lake Kariba - Zimbabwe or Zambia

2. South Luangwa National Park - Zambie

3. Ruaha National Park - Tanzania

4. Tarangire National Park - Tanzania

5. Ngorongoro Crater - Tanzania

6. Serengeti National Park -Tanzania

7. Lake Victoria - Tanzania

8. Masai Mara - Kenya

9. Lake Nakuru National Park - Kenya

10. Amboseli National Park - Kenya

11. Tsavo East National Park - Kenya

12. Lake Malawi - Malawi

13. Cahorra Bassa Dam - Mozambiek

14. Gorongosa National Park - Mozambiek

Please send us info on roads ; places to camp and any info we have to know to my e-mail

[email protected]