Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Defender 130 on portal axles

Just got my Sept. edition of LRO magazine in the post. It features a Defender 130 puma on portal axles and 35" tyres. It looks so awesomely amazing, the ground clearance is mind blowing!! Just not sure how durable it'll be in our conditions, but if it works for Unimogs..... Check it out on www.killeraxles.com . I must go see the bank bout that access bond.
    '12 Defender 130 2.2tdci '00 Defender 90 2.8i SOLD (ex wife gets the blame) '99 Defender 110 td5 csw SOLDNamboyz

Quote Originally Posted by goody2shoes View Post
    Just got my Sept. edition of LRO magazine in the post. It features a Defender 130 puma on portal axles and 35" tyres. It looks so awesomely amazing, the ground clearance is mind blowing!! Just not sure how durable it'll be in our conditions, but if it works for Unimogs..... Check it out on www.killeraxles.com . I must go see the bank bout that access bond.
    Hi goody2shoes

the main advantage of portal axles is the fact that they offer much improved ground clearance.

A further benefit is that on a portal axle the torque to drive the wheels is built up in the hubs AND NOT in the differential.

This means, that there is no risk of side shaft failure on a portal axle setup.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2011/09/03 at 09:16 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

LewiesF Guest

Awesome is not the word for it! Now that's one mean Landy.

Very nice conversion. I'de hate to think of the price of that conversion. What I really like is that front bumper/bash plate combo, complete with winch mounts and recovery shackels. If something like that bumper combo was readily available here in SA, I would be really interrested. I would even settle for a local copy cat version of that design.

Barry
    '07 Defender 110 TDi CSW Kalahari Edition.8)

"Defenders make strange noises. Every now and then. They are like men, normal men, not metro sexuals. They snore, fart and burp, and work very well in rough conditions......... " Andrewfus<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->