Default Tracker excellent

Last night at church 2 cars was stolen from our parking lot. As one of our members was going to lock the gate 10 minutes after our service started he heard the cars starting and then the cars came speeding past him with a guy pointing a gun at him. By the grace of God nothing happend to him. He immediatly contacted the police at 10111. The one vehicle had a Tracker in and our car not. The cars were reported at 18:15 and the one with the Tracker was found at 18:30, the guys from Tracker said they could see our car but had to sort out the other one first, at 18:45 we got a call that our car was also found and one suspect arrested. The police was on the scene shortly aftereards took the statements. I must say despite the drama we can only say excellent work from Tracker and the police. Now we just need to arrange to get the vehicles back.

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357

Glad nobody was injured or killed. These bastards shoot just for the hell of it !!

Get those vehicles back from the police lot ASAP - from personal experience, I can tell you that cars are not safe there. Parts mysteriously tend to disappear or get "damaged" (your good parts swapped for FUBAR ones)

I've had 2 Merc's in the local lot after being hi-jacked and stolen and in both cases had damage which I am convinced took place in the yard. The second one was recovered undamaged by Netstar within 45 minutes and I was with the car before the cops. They insisted in taking it in and the next day it was missing a few bits.
    Last edited by ThysleRoux; 2011/08/29 at 08:29 AM.

One Tuna
    Two Tunas
    Three Tunas
    ForTunas

Pietermaritzburg - Police say an electronic device used by auto manufacturers to jump-start a vehicle when the owners have lost the ignition key, is increasingly being used by criminals to steal cars.

Dubbed “magic start”, Pietermaritzburg police say especially Toyotas are being targeted - including Hiluxes and Fortunas.

Detective Sergeant Amith Budhram explained how thieves steal vehicles using “magic start”, which he described as a computer-like box with three wires coming from the sides.

“The box is used by car manufacturers to start cars when the owner has lost the key, but now the criminals have got their hands on them.

“Every car key that was manufactured after 2000 has a microchip that is unique to that car and carries the information of that car.”

“When the driver inserts the key in the ignition the microchip is quickly read and if the information is correct a signal is sent to the car’s computer, which is the brain of the car that enables all the controls to function.”

The criminals are using the “magic start” device to bypass this process.

“What they do is plug the ‘magic start’ into the car’s electronics and the battery and start the car, bypassing the computer.”

Budhram said the police suspect that criminals are using the remotes for gates to jam vehicle remotes to prevent the doors from locking and then open the hood, wire up the “magic start” and drive off with the vehicle.
    Eduan Erasmus-Since 1980- 2016 Merc B200 Cdi2012 Scott Aspect 30 2012 Silverback Roadie

Jacquesvw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NetEddy View Post
    Budhram said the police suspect that criminals are using the remotes for gates to jam vehicle remotes to prevent the doors from locking and then open the hood, wire up the “magic start” and drive off with the vehicle.
    This part sounds like rubbish to me, you will need one massive RF jammer to jam the frequency band of car remotes, no way a gate remote can do that. It's probably not even the same frequency and the amount of "noise" needed is far above that of a little gate remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
    This part sounds like rubbish to me, you will need one massive RF jammer to jam the frequency band of car remotes, no way a gate remote can do that. It's probably not even the same frequency and the amount of "noise" needed is far above that of a little gate remote.
    It really is not that difficult AND You don't need to be far away from the vehicle to jam it. You also only have to make the receiver think there is another device trying to access it. This action keeps the receiver busy and it will "miss" the real remote's command. Therefore Jamming it. AND the Toyota's use the same frequency as certain gate remotes.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine

After a long day at the police pound we got the vehicle back, minus a spare wheel jack and wheel spanner and the dash a total mess everything was ripped out. A pair of my wife's classes missing and a pair of Ray Bans and a few small things. I do not believe that the thugs could have taken these things with the police hot on their tail. I have spoken the the guy that got our car back from the anti hi jack unit, he said after a long chase, he was with the car until it was taken to the pound and after that who knows what happend. Will see today what the damage is. The sad thing is that the car a RunX 2004 model with only 51000km on the clock.

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357