New Xplorer - Modification suggestions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up New Xplorer - Modification suggestions

Good morning to you all.

Having never towed or camped in a caravan I took the plunge and bought a brand spanking new Xplorer (took lots to convince my wife). This weekend gone by was the Xplorers first outing and it was brilliant, absolutely fabulous. Even though the weekend was too short the easy setup of the Xplorer really made it enjoyable.

Time will tell though and thus the reason why Im seeking other Xplorer owners that have put the unit through its paces and have a little more experience on what to do (possible mods) to make things even easier. Ive been through many Xplorer threads and havent picked up anything negative about the unti (apart from weight).

My first modification (thanks to Mike Kleynhans) would be to get the freezer out of the caravan (donít want to bug sleeping kids every time we need something from the freezer) by installing Hella plugs to power the unit just underneath the table that sets up on the outside of the van.

The second is to run cables (battery or welding) from the vehicles battery to the back to charge the system while on the road.

The third - currently looking into strengthening the tow hitch frame. They should provide this as a standard with any Xplorer......

Any other ideas ÖÖ ?

Anyways I look forward to becoming involved in a community with similar interests.

Cheers
    Scoob

Congrats Scoob!

You will definately get a a lot of joy from this van. Mine is a 2000 model and I have not realy deemed it necessary to do major mods. I have done the following:

- Light in the nose compartment
    - Extra battery
    - Desent PowerMaster charger
    - Xtra 12V power points inside
    - Side panels for the awning

To do's include a solar panel installation, a permanent water tank at the back (Standard on yours I think) and the larger shower cubicle.

Why would you want to strenghten the A -frame?

Enjoy!

Johan
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 (New beginnings!)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Sold - End of an era after 423 Nights over 14 years!)

Thanks for your suggestions Johan. They’re much appreciated. A couple more questions if I may..….

What sort of life do you get from both charged batteries assuming that only lights and Minus 40 is run from them?

Lighting the nose compartment is a damn good idea. Having tried finding the torch after the kids have had a go at it was a mission if I needed to remove something from the nose. We setup in the dark as well (probably because I knew the older hands will sit with a frosty and enjoy the show watching a newbie setup camp for the first time). Camp was up with side awnings in under 20 minutes.

What are the technical specs for the solar panels? I was thinking generator for battery recharge but that could be quite noisy I’m sure?

It’s the frame that is attached to the vehicles chassis that I’m a little worried about (wont touch the a-frame – don’t think there is much room for improvement there). I’ve read allot about excessive weight on the ball and am worried that my setup isn’t up to scratch (assumption of course). I tow with a 2001 2.8TDi fitted with a standard setup by a local fitment centre.

The pin type tow hitch should (once again an assumption based on sales talk from a local camping dealer) solve any possible issues but it still leaves a gap in terms of the tow hitch frame that bolts onto the chassis.

Id rather be safe than sorry. Im also about to attempt the grandma’s scale test as its called on the forum by checking the jockey weight and using the following formula (thread).

“if the distance from jockey wheel to wheels is 3m, the jockey wheel to ball is 250mm and the mass on the jockey is 120kg. Sum equals 120kg * 3000mm / 3250mm = 110.8kg ball mass”
    Last edited by Scoob; 2007/05/08 at 12:47 PM.

Congrats

The first modification I did was to fit a different bracket to the nosewheel to enable it to be removed easily. The bracket swivel on the one side and is made by Alco.

Speaking of the jockey wheel, turn it up to the max position at home(you will feel it going out of the thread - be carefull!) and stick a piece of isolation tape around the inside piece of the wheel where it enters the outside piece. You will now be able to see when to stop winding as soon as you see the tape appear. This will prevent you possibly turning the wheel out of its nut and possibly stripping it.

Also glue a small spirit level to the front of the A frame. This will assist in getting it level without having to look for spirit levels and running in and out the van.

Light in the nose cone is great, also consider fitting one in the kitchen cupboard.

I upgraded the utensil pocket to a bigger one found at Makro which also folds up and keep your knives and forks where they should be when tackling rough roads.

Put carpet or cardboard on the bottom of cupboards and compartments to prevent items chaving(sp?) on the floor. This also serves as a bit of a shock damper.

I added a towel roll on the door below the utensile bag which works great. Try and get one that keeps the roll firmly in place to prevent the wind from blowing the roll off.

I added solar panels and think it is the best thing since white sliced bread.

Consider the fitment of a long narrow mirror on the side of the hanging cupboard. This was requested by Swambo.

I also added some more 220v and 12 v points inside the van.

I added foot mats onto the steps and inside the footwell of the door to catch sand and mud.

Oh yes I also changed the one outside lamp to have a yellow lense to assist in not attracting 'goggas'

Will have to go camp to see what else I have done over the years !

Enjoy

CATs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Hello Scoob,

I hope you will enjoy your Xplorer as much as I do mine.

I have a 2004 Xplorer with the water tank.

Some of the modifications I made:

- Replaced the standard battery with a 225 Ah one. My Engel fridge uses about 24 Ah a day.
    - Small solar panel for charging the battery when the Xplorer is stored.
    - Ah counter. It shows how much power is left; much more accurate than the standard panel.
    - LED reading lights (dimmable).
    - Manual winch on the A-bar. The Xplorer is too heavy to maneuver manually. As it is not always possible to use my LandRover, this saves a lot of sweat.
    - Turn able tap. I can use it both with the kitchen inside and outside.
    - Gas heater Truma E2400. Maybe this it not necessary in SA, but here in Europe I've been camping with -10 degrees.
    - Upgraded the electricity with main switch and fuses.
    - Shock absorbers (heavy ones). A friend of mine has been taken an Xplorer to Iceland and deemed it absolutely necessary to have them fitted. I don't have experience without them but I didn't want to take any chance. I've been towing the Xplorer thru some very bad tracks (but very beautiful also) and it tows like a dream. No trouble with cupboards opening or such.
    - Gas alarm.

Keep us informed of your adventures,

Sam Weesie

No mods yet to my 2006 model.
    Considering bigger brackets for the jerry holders.
    There is a guy at Sunseeker in Alberton who builds that thingy next to your spare wheel that can take two jerry cans. I think it is about R750 each.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Where did you do the solar panels, could one install 12v plugs on the outside for lighting at the braai?

I have a 2007 explorer with the full tent option, one outing and enjoyed it so much that we are planing the next trip already.

Cobus

Johan

Why didyou sell the V8 ES, I am currently looking at one?

Cobus

Cobus, I wasn't realy in the market for a new car, but an ex-colleague left for London and had the Pajero for sale at a price I could not resist. The V8's fuel consumption and range as well as high km's and the motorplan running out soon, made the decision so much easier.

If you are going to drive the car everyday - rather stay clear off the V8. More importantly, if you are planning a trip to who knows where it is always an issue with range. I barely got 500km's with 2 tanks when towing the van.

It was a great car though - I did not have any real issues with it.

Johan

Sam

Would appreciate if you could post a picture of that winch - sound like a good idea!

Johan

The winch is an ALKO 901 (900 kg easy pulling)

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What's that yellow thing ?
    And the 2 power cables ?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rico For This Useful Post:

Rico

That yellow thing I think is a lock!! Don't tell me you have crime over there in Netherland as well Sam!? Good to see you on this forum, we last bumped into each other on the caravan forum I think?

Greeting from a chilly 23Deg Cel Pretoria

CATs
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Hello Christo a.k.a. CATs

Good to see that you finally came to your senses and bought a Land Rover . I'm missing the pictures of your last travels on your website.

Hi Rico,

As CAT's already explained the yellow thing is a hitch-lock. This is necessary for the insurance only. There is no practical use for it as the Xplorer is far too heavy for normal cars to steal .

The two power cables are standard. One for the 13-pin connector for driving lights, brake lights, fog light etc. The other cable is for charging the battery. As I do a lot of mud-digging the standard factory connector is not suitable, so I replaced it for a NATO-connector. Suitable for currents up to 250A.
    As my Land Rover Td5 has an alternator of 110A the charge current can be up to 60A when the battery is exhausted. Thick cables 16-25 mm2 are a necessity then.

Greetings from a warm (25 degrees) Amsterdam.

Sam

Thumbs up Thank you !!!!

A BBBiiiiiEEEEEGGGGGGGG thank you to everyone for all the ideas. Please dont stop now. We may even be able to build an aftermarket version of the Xplorer after this thread has taken its toll.

Thank you once again.

As I am a South African with rather large social tendencies we should try at some stage to get some Xplorer (and other offroad trailer/caravan) enthusiasts together (jammer Sam) for a social one Saturday (this one - definitley out - Blue Blood).

Cheers
    Scoob
    Last edited by Scoob; 2007/05/10 at 12:11 AM.

CATS? Landrover? Huh?

Damdan??

Yeah it is a one of kind collector piece and a part of motoring history as we know it! I just had to have it.

I am still the biggest Mitsubishi fan ever, but lets be honnest, a LR, especially a Defender or older still conjures up images of the African adventureres of old. Grizzly is my "mid live crissis weekend stress reliever" but if I take on the long road to the bush with the family you will probably find me behind the wheel of the Pajero!

CATs
    2003 Safari Xplorer

but if I take on the long road to the bush with the family you will probably find me behind the wheel of the Pajero!

HOOR HOOR

As ek jou brief lees kan ek hoor jy moet n slim ou wees.
    As jy die lang pad vat hou jy nie van loop nie.
    Land Cruiser 79, V8
    1952 CJB3 Willys Jeep.
    Mercedes C Class
    LandCruiser VX 80 Turbo

Ja ja Jurie

Ek het nou ook 'n Landy en moet nou die storie ook hoor, maar sover behandel hy my baie goed!

OT - Het jy toe al die skokbrekers ingesit op die Pajero?

CATs
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Sjoe, was worried for a moment.
    My mid life crisis demanded a choice between a red Porche, a redhead skelmpie or a red motorbike.
    Im now the proud owner of the latter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast