Kia Sportage 4x4 front hub conversion

Default Kia Sportage 4x4 front hub conversion

Good day, I have an earlier Kia Sortage 4x4 and recently found the auto vacuum front hubs were not engaging. As these were known to be a problem area, I have now purchased a set of manual AVM hubs which are still to be installed. The instructions look quite straight forward so fitting should be easy. My question is where do I disable the original vacuum system, and do I remove the pipes from the front hubs or simply block them off somehow. Any guidance with the above would be appreciated, especially if you have done a similar exercise before. Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter5; 2011/08/24 at 03:40 PM.

Hi Peter 5 - my twin brother had the same issue with his Sportage 4x4 and went exactly the same root you intend to take - He said it was very easy to do the fitment as well as necessary disconnections - I cannot recall the procedure but you are welcome to contact Erik at zero eight three 235 5857 for details. He really enjoys his vehicle and is very satisfied with the conversion.
    2005 Toyota Condor 2.4 4x4, Camil shocks - front, Super Springs - rear, Detroit Locker

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Hi
    I have done the exact same mod and I have left everything as is , all I have done is diconnect the electrical connection to the air valve inside the engine bay. Just follow the thin pipe from the middle of the intake manifold , that goes to the air switch.

Andrew

Thank you Harry and Andrew for the advice. I will contact Erik in due course but Andrews advice seems quite easy. Andrew I replied to another topic of yours.
    Regards
    Peter

Peter5 - I see you are in KZn (I am not) where did you purchase yours? Price?

If anyone is interested I have supplied some members on the forum with warn hubs which cost around R2100-R2300 depending on the dollar exchange.The price is inclusive of delivery to your Box number.Lead time is betwenn 5 and 14 days depending on stocks. You can either contact me on 0820648373 or email [email protected].
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

Hi AAV
    I purchased my conversion hubs from AW Automotive in Amalgam Jhb at R2530 inc vat.
    The reference is code A460 and phone number 0118392861/2. The Warn agents did not have stock at the time, but the AVM version looks well made.

Hi all, Just to let you know that I have successfully fitted the manual AVM hubs to my Sportage 1. Once I had the right Allen keys it was a very simple job. With the wheels off I actually also found where the vacuum pipes had perished so maybe I could have saved fitting the manual hubs but probably it will be more foolproof now. Of interest I noted the original vacuum hubs were made in USA by Warn. I will keep them in case I want to convert back at any time.
    Cheers Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter5 View Post
    Hi AAV
    I purchased my conversion hubs from AW Automotive in Amalgam Jhb at R2530 inc vat.
    The reference is code A460 and phone number 0118392861/2. The Warn agents did not have stock at the time, but the AVM version looks well made.
    Thank you!!

I recently serviced the front hubs (original vacuum hubs) on my 2001 Sportage. This is a quick job, around an hour or two.
    Simply remove the hub (couple of allen bolts), remove one circlip, and then you can clean and grease the components.
    Put it back with a bit of silicone to seal it, and bob's your uncle.

I also replace the rubber hoses going to the vacuum connector.

I reckon if you clean the hubs and replace the hoses every 50k or so you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Default Manual Hubs

Hi

I have been running Warn hubs for quite a while. The fitment is a straight bolt on. You can simply disable the solenoid by unplugging it or better stilll remove the solenoid and all the hardware - you are never going to use it again. I ran 2 hoses up from the hubs into the engine compartment, using the original vacuum connections - these serve as hub vents for water crossings.

The original vacuum hubs are not a great idea in my opinion - if you have a slight leak on your seals (and have have been in engineering long enough to know that seals are generally problematic) you suck the dirt into the bearings and they get destroyed quickly!

I have found the Warn's problematic. I have had engagement problems with them as - I wound up having to rebuild one using the bits from the old Kia vacuum hubs (We have a Suzi Vitara which has Aisan hubs. They are far more robust and better quality that the Warn's).

Of late I have a noisy hub so I need to pull them apart again .
    (I run 30x9.50 Mud Terrains which will tend to put a higher torque load on the hubs)

Ian
    Last edited by Ian PR; 2011/10/01 at 09:26 PM.