Inverter power consumption

Question Inverter power consumption

Have a Waeco 40 Lt Coolfun (compressor - 220V only) freezer that I need to run of the vehicle battery.

This requirement only while driving a long distance to camp site where 220V is available.

Spoke to Waeco agents (Outdoor Warehouse) and they recommend a 500W inverter as atartup power draw is fairly high. Running power consumption = 75W (Waeco booklet)

Now the question (I'm in mech engineering, thus electrical knowledge absolutely basic!!):

500W output @ 220V requires similar input from the 12V supply? P = VI says I will be drawing in excess of 30 Amps from the car battery(even though only for compressor startup current draw). Can the inverter be plugged into a conventional cigarette lighter plug (factory fitted in back of Pajero) and handle this kind of current without blowing fuses and/or melting the wires??

Dual battery system is no option (too costly for this once of exercise) and 12V220V compressor freezer also NOGO (Swambo - minister of finance!?!?)

Should I couple the Inverter onto the battery directly??

I found that it overheats the lighter plug.

My invertor is hard wired into the aux battery with 250A cables. I also installed a panel mount female socket, that is a "Land Rover" type plug. It has a locking clip inside the socket. It doesn't rattle loose. They are not that expensive either. I bought the male and the females from Autozone.

The fuse on the "lighter" socket is also not that heavy.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Inverters usually come with a thickish cable with an inline fuse for attachment directly to the battery.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

The 500W Waeco has thinner cables with crock type clamps. It might be ok with the lighter socket. I couldnt get the 500W waeco to start my fridge, had to buy the 1Kw jobbie. That has thick 10mm sq cables that go directly to your battery. The 1Kw unit also has a remote switch to switch the inverter on and off.

The current draw is around 8 Amps continous (couldnt find my previous post with the correct measurements) but it spikes at around 25Amps when at fridge startup.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout

2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W Sold
    2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

ELU, I have read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that a fridge can draw upto 8 times it's rated amount on startup, so I doubt a 500W inverter will do the job.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Thanks for all the replies. Spoke to a technical guy at Waeco (very helpfull and expert assistance!!!) and he recommends that the 500W inverter will do the job. Startup power consumption in vicinity of 350W (+10% for losses). However, he also indicated that the Coolfun was not designed to operate inside a moving (shaking) vehicle, as it does not have the Danfoss compressor (I was told that it does indeed have the Danfoss compressor when I purchased it couple of years ago from Outdoor W/house - Randburg).
    This compressor is not mounted the correct way and components etc not suitable for continuous shaking etc. Driving while the compressor is running will damage the compressor eventually (not too long though) leading to failure.

Bottom line is: No inverter, next option is a 12V/220V unit - now to convince SWAMBO and secondly sell the CK40 Coolfun. Watch the "For sale section" for my ad!!

Any takers on the Coolfun??