Woman killed by a TOW BALL!!! - Page 3





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,348
    Thanked: 29

    Default

    I was thinking of getting one of the receiver recovery things as below...



    The pin in my towbar receiver is 16mm. Looks thicker that the pins on the bow shackles that would be used on the recovery strap anyway?

    So wouldn't this be good enough? Assuming the towbar strength and mounting is strong enough.
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,152
    Thanked: 1303

    Default

    Very tragic. But I assume it is the same sort of attitude of parents not buckling up their kids. They know the danger, they somehow just don't care.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,689
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    This is very tragic and so unecessary!!

    Luckiliy I have attended one of Engel's recovery courses, so now I know how to do it in a safe manner.

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    41
    Posts
    456
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Wow i had no idea that was unsafe always thought they were super strong and can take any strain, i am also guilty of towing like this but lucky it was not under severe load.

    Id rather use the chassis as the strong point now glad i read this definite a sticky MODS!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gautengeleng
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,697
    Thanked: 42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sohail1 View Post
    Wow i had no idea that was unsafe always thought they were super strong and can take any strain, i am also guilty of towing like this but lucky it was not under severe load.
    Id rather use the chassis as the strong point now glad i read this definite a sticky MODS!
    Now you see some one was helped. He never knew that it was dagerous.
    Corne

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,689
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madota F250 View Post
    Now you see some one was helped. He never knew that it was dagerous.
    I agree with you!

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wuxi, China
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    With a receiver type recovery point it is not necessary to buy the receiver bar with the shackles as on the pictures. I have a receiver bar with a drop pin on, but for recoveries I take this out, leaving only the receiver pipe. I then push the recovery strap eye into the pipe and then insert the pin into the eye of the strap. No shackle that can come loose, nothing that can break, except the strap, but if it breaks, nothing will go flying.

    Unfortunately this only works with recovery straps, not ropes, which are too thick for the pipe.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Umdloti Victoria Crown Colony of Natal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    492
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Rocher View Post
    This is very tragic and so unecessary!!

    Luckiliy I have attended one of Engel's recovery courses, so now I know how to do it in a safe manner.
    Which is good as you drive a D3 and you may be called upon to assist in recovering other not so competent vehicles
    Still Tabbing at nearly 50

    P38 without STUPID AIR SUSPENSION
    Dodge
    Jeep Platkar
    2x Dirty Bikes

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,689
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esteetwo View Post
    which is good as you drive a d3 and you may be called upon to assist in recovering other not so competent vehicles ;d
    Hehe yes definitely Estee!! I am there!

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,348
    Thanked: 29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    With a receiver type recovery point it is not necessary to buy the receiver bar with the shackles as on the pictures. I have a receiver bar with a drop pin on, but for recoveries I take this out, leaving only the receiver pipe. I then push the recovery strap eye into the pipe and then insert the pin into the eye of the strap. No shackle that can come loose, nothing that can break, except the strap, but if it breaks, nothing will go flying.

    Unfortunately this only works with recovery straps, not ropes, which are too thick for the pipe.
    True, I haven't needed to do any recoveries yet, but my plan was to do exactly what you mentioned.

    I thought the receiver shackle would make a neater solution, and make sure that the strap didn't "chafe" or get cut by the edge of the receiver opening.
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wuxi, China
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    True, I haven't needed to do any recoveries yet, but my plan was to do exactly what you mentioned.
    I thought the receiver shackle would make a neater solution, and make sure that the strap didn't "chafe" or get cut by the edge of the receiver opening.
    Greg, I have done quite a few recoveries that way, some hairy and at angles, with no apparent damage to the strap, as most decent straps have a material cover protecting the eye section. I am very wary of anything that has a shackle attached to it, it is just one more thing that can go wrong.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Solwezi
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I will never ever tie a rope to a tow ball again. This is my second lesson today on the forum. I feel very bad for her kids. Not only did they had to witness their mothers death they have to grow up without their mother
    Die een wat hom self kan oorwin is grooter as een wat n hele stad oorwin.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13,859
    Thanked: 983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by open road View Post
    I will never ever tie a rope to a tow ball again. This is my second lesson today on the forum. I feel very bad for her kids. Not only did they had to witness their mothers death they have to grow up without their mother
    that alone is a good enough reason!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanked: 1748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madota F250 View Post
    Then take safety precautions. Every body out and away from the vehicle, put a jacket or a rope or a seat cover or a car mat over the rope and maybe yes open the bonnet. Rather be safe than sorry. I do not want to be this man to live with the regrets would've or should've
    If we can only get this message out, with or without the multi dollar recovery points, the battle is won.

    We can deliberate the merits of tow bars with receivers (that I do not trust for one moment, that single pin looks too puny for my liking) or the sad excuse for a pintle that Jean posted or even the pintle with the 25mm pin that Alex posted (more than adequate in my book) but at the end of the day it comes down to what Madota said. Prepare for the worst and no one gets hurt. Spend half the effort that would normally go to getting rated and accepted gear on acquiring a safety first mindset and all your recoveries will be incident free. You will have failures at some stage, accept it and prepare for it.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,932
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Henk,

    I agree. We have to do things properly, if not for our own safety, then for the safety of our loved ones and others.

    1. Use apporpriate recovery points, properly secured to the chassis of the vehicle. Avoid pintle hooks, shackle receivers, tow balls, etc.
    2. Use appropriate and rated equipment and gear.
    3. Use the gear appropriately, get to know how to do it appropriately.
    4. No passengers in vehicles during recoveries.
    5. But most importantly, and as Henk and Madota have stated, Safety First, always.

    Lets us enjoy our 4x4ing in a safe and responsible manner.
    __________
    Jean
    ORRA: A15

    Smoke a pipe and chill

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CAPE TOWN ,SOUTH AFRICA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    14,078
    Thanked: 502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Kotze View Post
    Henk,

    I agree. We have to do things properly, if not for our own safety, then for the safety of our loved ones and others.

    1. Use apporpriate recovery points, properly secured to the chassis of the vehicle. Avoid pintle hooks, shackle receivers, tow balls, etc.
    2. Use appropriate and rated equipment and gear.
    3. Use the gear appropriately, get to know how to do it appropriately.
    4. No passengers in vehicles during recoveries.
    5. But most importantly, and as Henk and Madota have stated, Safety First, always.

    Lets us enjoy our 4x4ing in a safe and responsible manner.
    Hey Jean, what about the rated tow ball.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,721
    Thanked: 1105

    Default

    I have never attempted a recovery but looking at all the horrific footage being posted on the forum over the past month or two I would like to enquire about a few things, should I ever find myself in the situation where I need the knowledge:
    • Are the standard egg-shaped recovery points on my Landy ok?
    • If not one alone, will it be ok if I attach a bridle to both recovery points and then tow or snatch? My understanding of a bridle is that it is a strap that attaches to both recovery points to distribute the force, please correct me if I am wrong.
    • My next point of understanding is that you need to attach a rope or strap to the main towing/snatching strap, that will not carry any weight - this is for incase the main strap breaks the additional line will prevent it from becoming a catapult - hurling the shackle or, god forbid, the towball towards the other vehicle. Is my understanding here correct? If so, how tough does this secondary rope have to be, will normal nylon ski-rope be sufficient?
    • I also gather that one throws a blanket over the towing line at the centre, no need to explain it for me.
    • One final question - the rear recovery points (egg-shaped) on my Landy are bolted to the side of the chassis so the it can not be used as recovery points (holes are covered by the cassis). Is it worth it to bolt them to a different location or can I simply wind a snatch strap around and behind the frame that exends to the towball and then shackle it in place? (I know not to attach it to the towball itsself).
    Thank you all for contributing to our safety, a few weeks ago I would never have thought twice before attaching anything to anything with any lump of whatever that could go anywhere. Now I am glad that I didn't have the opportunity to do so...

    My respect,
    Albert
    Defender 2.8i

    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    27,153
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    There is a great video to watch on Bartos site, but I just can't find it

    http://www.4x4tec.co.za/wp/

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    27,153
    Thanked: 568

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,932
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Albert,

    Please refer to the link that I have posted on post 20. It is specifically related to the recovery points for LRs.

    Hope its helps.

    Kind regards
    Jean
    Last edited by Jean Kotze; 2011/08/25 at 10:03 PM.
    __________
    Jean
    ORRA: A15

    Smoke a pipe and chill

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dual Ball Pin tow hitch
    By Thys Willemse in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2014/10/16, 11:52 AM
  2. Grease on Tow Ball??
    By Kalamazoo in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 2010/04/06, 04:26 PM
  3. Tow ball height.
    By Sorento in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2007/03/26, 05:49 AM
  4. Various Tow Points Used on a 4x4
    By Big Hilux in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007/01/21, 03:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •