Kgalagadi - when to go

Default Kgalagadi - when to go

So starting to plan for a trip to the Kgalagadi and Mabua. Unfortunately restricted to school holidays. Which of the 4 school holidays do you guys prefer to go to the Kgalagadi and why? I know winter can become subzero but day temperatures can be nice, where as in December it can be stifling hot all round.

I am leaning more towards either the April or September breaks, but then I will be limited to max 1 week whereas I would prefer a longer stay. Maybe Swambo will let me take the kids out of school for a week .

How does the Kgalagadi vary ito vegetation during the different times? All comment will be appreciated.
    Ross

You will find plenty chat about it in this forum http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewf...p?style=2&f=38 .

It is my favourate park. Have been there 6 times in the past 10m years. Others have packed that in in one year but I just cannot fit that in .. .

The place can differ a lot in terms of weather, vegetation and sightings depending on the time of year. Summer time can be very hot ... and very wet when they get those big thunderstorms. You the get plenty birdlife like raptors. Grass might be very tall though. Winter can be very cold at night be nice during the day. Not so many raptors but you see plenty game still. Grass is then brown but might still be tall. Autum can be very dry and dusty before the new rain season in summer. Some raptors start to return but game is less.

Not sure how old your kids are but I would suggest winter eventhough it can be cold at night. That time of the year there are plenty game park options for people and it is not that crouded. We just came back from a 8 night winter trip and it was magic. You can see some of my photos here http://www.pbase.com/lirritma/ktp2011 . April is also good but you then have plenty bugs at night and you might get the odd rain spell still. It tyends to be quite full during April as well.

Enjoy the planning.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Question Kgalagadi in September?

Gerrit
    With everything you said above, you did not mention September. Surely this would be a good time as its not yet as hot as December and the nights are not as cold as July and you don't have the bugs of April? Is spring not the time when pently of animals have their babies?
    Doug
    Pajero 3.5V6 SWB (Gen 3)
    Yes I had to sell my fantastic Triton
    Going to miss it dearly!

I have made my booking for September, everybody i spoke to said it's the best time to go.

Rhino,

My wife is a teacher, so we are also stuck with the school holiday period. We have now been to the Kgalagadi during all 4 seasons/holiday periods (our experience):

Mar/April - after the rainy period, but you will still get thunderstorms and rain. Velt is normally very green still and lush (if you can ever use that word in the Kgalagadi). Game sightings very good, predator sightings limited. Temps are moderate in the day and cool at night. For me, Kgalagadi at its most beautiful.

Jun/Jul - Very dry and dusty. Sparce vegatation, but you can see more game, and more of the red dunes. Game sighting still good, predator sightings fair. Day temps are great, but night temps drop to below -5 deg C. I personally prefer this time of the year. Bird sightings are awsome. I can sleep at night.

Sept/Oct - Still dry and sparse vegetation, and very dusty. More lively than in winter months. Moderate day temps and cool at night. Game sighting still good, predator sightings fair. Bird sightings are awsome.

Dec/Jan - Very hot days and hot evenings. More daylight time and game viewing at its best early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Game sightings very good. Best time for predator sightings. Birding is also still good. Thunderstorms and heavy rains. Too hot for me, but my wife loves it. Must admit, this was the best time of the year we experienced in the Kgalagadi.

Well, that's our experience in a nutshell.

Smoke a pipe and chill

Best time of the year in my experience and according to old diehards ...Eloff, Le riche, Mills and Haagner..Mid Feb to the first frosts in Mid May so if your wife even teaches at a 3 term private school you can fit that period in with May hols

We are going again from 22nd may to 5th june ; in previous trips been there in august , september (after mabuasehube) and december; scary experience in september with the fire around grootkolk;but as said the ktp still a very special place ; we have seen from cape cobra behind the tent (nossob campsite), to jackels trying to steal our braai food ; to an eagle attacking a small buck ; to a jackel eating a scorpion ; the lions in the picnic site ;to a leopard calling behind our tent ( mabua3 );etc ; the variety of experiences including the big veld fire around grootkolk have been awesome to say the least.

September - not too hot not too cold - less snakes around!

Around 10C-32C

You will freeze in winter....... -10 to -13C at night and early mornings

We do not find the birding good then as summer migrants are not there.
    Birding in our view is much much better in summer.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/04/12 at 10:27 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway