Need to get to Tandanhangue

Default Need to get to Tandanhangue

We are coming via Mutare.

We need to get to Tandanhangue by 14:00 on the day we are going to Ibo, and we need to figure out how many days it will take us to get there from Mutare. This leg of our trip has to be relatively quick, but on the way back we will be more leisurely.

Day 1) Can we make it from Mutare to Mphingwe Camp in one days drive? If not, where should we stop?
    Day 2) Then from Mphingwe to Nampula or Namialo or somewhere further on? Where should we stop?
    Day 3) We want to get to Tandanhangue by 14:00.

Is there anywhere to stop and overnight it between Nampula and Tandanhangue? (Besides Pemba?)
    Will we need 3 or 4 days of driving to get from Mutare to Tandanhangue?
    Where do we need to wake up in order to get to Tandanhangue by 14:00?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much!!!

Hi Brooke,

The best person to answer all your questions would be Brenda Franck at Pemba Dive and Bush Camp. [email protected]

Telephone
    Brenda Franck +258 82 661 1530

Rudi Franck +258 82 669 7050

Land line +258 272 29525

Facsimile
    +258 272 20 820

She is a gold mine of information and a great place to stay.

Tony

Thanks Tony, but she usually just refers me to her web site...
    I'll try her though.

Quote Originally Posted by mamasdriving View Post
    Day 1) Can we make it from Mutare to Mphingwe Camp in one days drive? If not, where should we stop?
    Day 2) Then from Mphingwe to Nampula or Namialo or somewhere further on? Where should we stop?
    Day 3) We want to get to Tandanhangue by 14:00.
    Is there anywhere to stop and overnight it between Nampula and Tandanhangue? (Besides Pemba?)
    Mutare to Mphingwe should be a doddle - you could probably get quite a bit further: there's Cua Cua on the north bank of the Zambezi at Caia, Pensao Cruzeira in Mocuba, and various options in Quelimane, including Hotel Flamingo, Hotel Chuabo and Residencial Milenium. I haven't stayed in Quelimane, but those three were recommended by the owner of Casa Luna in Inhassoro.
    If you push through to Mocuba, you can then look for a bush camp somewhere north of Namialo or even push through to Pemba. According to my notes, it is about four hours from Namialo to Pemba and the road is very good (this from locals, I haven't driven it, but certainly the road from Nampula to Nacala was as good as a road gets last July, excellent tar, no potholes).

Deleted - double posted in error

Brooke, I see in my notes on Ibo that Cinco Portas has a boat that does the Pemba to Ibo run either twice a week or weekly, stopping off for a dive en route, which would cut out the need to leave your vehicle at Tandanhangue. According to my notes Jorg Hollinger is the owner and you can get more info via info(at)kaskazini.com

Tony

Thank you Tony.
    I think the twice weekly boat to Ibo from Pemba is on the wrong days and takes 12 hours, so we are going to leave the truck in Tandanhangue and have Cinco Portos boat pick us up there. But I think we'll be fine and can wing it in terms of how far we can get on our drives pushing north each day. We have enough time it seems.

Thank you Tony.

Tandanhangue to Ibo enquiry is two pages long with a map, it’s available as recommended. It took over a year to collect the 10 pg info on the conditions of
    the roads, distance, time & overnights and it gets updated every year.

Let’s look after each other. After reading through the info you have received, you are most welcome then to ask questions. This will help us be more aware what could be overlooked & update the new info to the public.

Cinco Portes has stopped the Dhow trips twice a week between Pemba
    to Ibo Island. Also between mid June to mid September the August Manson
    winds makes it to dangerous for Dhows to travel that particular route. Between
    Tandanhangue to Ibo it’s protected and safe. After mid September there is a
    dhow that will charter to Ibo islands after the winds have died down. You
    are welcome to contact me to find out where in Pemba the dhow is anchored.

Take note crossing over Tandanhangue to Ibo you have a 3 hour window time in high tide. You are also welcome to contact me for the tidal times on facebook.

Hi Brenda ,

Could you give us more info regarding the winds you experience during Dec and January . I presume the NE trades blow quite consistently , what sort of effect does this have on the surface and sub surface conditions ?

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by PembaBrenda View Post
    Thank you Tony.
    Tandanhangue to Ibo enquiry is two pages long with a map, itís available as recommended. It took over a year to collect the 10 pg info on the conditions of
    the roads, distance, time & overnights and it gets updated every year.
    Letís look after each other. After reading through the info you have received, you are most welcome then to ask questions. This will help us be more aware what could be overlooked & update the new info to the public.
    Cinco Portes has stopped the Dhow trips twice a week between Pemba
    to Ibo Island. Also between mid June to mid September the August Manson
    winds makes it to dangerous for Dhows to travel that particular route. Between
    Tandanhangue to Ibo itís protected and safe. After mid September there is a
    dhow that will charter to Ibo islands after the winds have died down. You
    are welcome to contact me to find out where in Pemba the dhow is anchored.
    Take note crossing over Tandanhangue to Ibo you have a 3 hour window time in high tide. You are also welcome to contact me for the tidal times on facebook.
    Thanks Brenda, you're a gold mine as usual!

Tony