Default Ford Ranger mini cat

Hi everyone,

I have a 2.2 Ranger, 2016 4x4 model with 36 000 km's on the clock. A service consultant at a Ford dealer dealer told me to consider removing the cat and fit a so-called mini cat because it will improve both the diesel consumption and performance. However, I don't have a problem with either the consumption or the performance. He referred me to a well-known company specializing in all kinds of mods on vehicles. I phoned two branches and both told me basically the same thing. It boils down to fooling the engine management system in thinking a cat is installed whilst it has been removed. They have a long story about the mini cat on their website as well.

Now, my knowledge of engines is limited to knowing the spark plugs on a diesel engine never have to be replaced because it has no spark plugs. I am thinking more on the line of longevity of the engine and turbo. As I said my knowledge is limited but I know some of the members on this forum know what they talk about when they talk about engines.

Therefore, any advice will be highly appreciated. My questions are the following: Is it worth the effort and money to have the cat replaced with the so-called mini cat? Does it make any difference to the longevity of the engine and turbo? Has anyone done it and what is the experience? Or should I just ignore what the service consultant said.

Interesting though that the two branches I phoned differ massively with regards to the price.

Thank you in advance for your honest opinion.

Regards

Johann

Default Re: Ford Ranger mini cat

My simplified take on this.

An engine needs an air filter to clean the air coming in. This is a service item and gets replaced at intervals. If it is blocked it can have a detramental effect on performance and wear.

The catalytic converter is an 'airfilter' for the air going out of the engine. If it gets blocked it can have a detramental effect on performance and wear. Remove the catalytic converter and blank of the EGR - your engine will thank you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:

1) Find a new Ford dealer as the service consultant doesnt know what he is talking about, the 2.2 doesnt gave a catalytic converter

2) This well known tuning company must please be named and shamed and AVOIDED as they too doesnt know what they are talking about. There is no oxygen/lambda/sensors in any of Rangers exhaust, this means they are trying to fool a sensor that is not installed which means they are trying to make money ouf of you by doing nothing. Id stay far far away, just imagine the crap they will tune into the mapping with their poor knowledge of the vehicle

If you want to get a little bit of extra performance from the vehicle just get a complete downpipe and exhaust fitted with slight diamter change, egr blank and even an oil catch can...reliability sorted
    Last edited by rambo7; 2021/07/19 at 07:00 AM.
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rambo7 View Post
    1) Find a new Ford dealer as the service consultant doesnt know what he is talking about, the 2.2 doesnt gave a catalytic converter
    My 2018 european model certainly has one.
    Itís an EURO6 spec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BB183E2-54EF-4B21-98F6-8F128EDDBF72.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	624257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFA86697-1512-49F6-94FC-80AFF053ACD5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	624258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	718834E1-9A36-45F8-873F-798DF05A87DF.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	624259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F0BB4A69-A077-4014-BE7A-9E411000D71A.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	624260  

Quote Originally Posted by onobeka View Post
    My 2018 european model certainly has one.
    It’s an EURO6 spec.
    We are in South Africa, this is a South African forum...what we discuss here is 99% applicable to the South African market, we have none of that on our Rangers
    Last edited by rambo7; 2021/07/26 at 12:54 PM.
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rambo7 View Post
    We are in South Africa, this is a South African forum...what we discuss here is 99% applicable to the South African market, we have none of that on our Rangers
    Yes, Rambo, I know and I did not mean to contradict you, just to inform of what's out there, thus I've mentioned the EU model info.

I actually made those pictures while looking for the reduction gasket that is claimed to be there on the exhaust to reduce turbo spin. I cannot find such an item on mine, but maybe I did not look close enough.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to onobeka For This Useful Post:

Remove the catalytic converter and blank of the EGR, agree, and bypass the cooling water to the EGR cooler if a cooler is installed like on the 3.2 auto's..the reduction gasket is actually an orifice and is part of the exhaust bracket..

Rambo, my Fordjie spin nou lekker met die skoon asem...lol..
    VW TDI
    Dries de Kock

Quote Originally Posted by kadafi View Post
    Remove the catalytic converter
    Can that be done only mechanically? I don't think so, look at the lambda behind the DPF. There's one before the cat. I still have warranty on my engine, so I would not want to mess with the software yet.

and blank of the EGR
    That is in the making.

the reduction gasket is actually an orifice and is part of the exhaust bracket..

Can you please indicate where? If possible on the pictures I've sent. I see no "bracket" that would have a gasket like plate.

Thank you in advace!
    Last edited by onobeka; 2021/07/26 at 05:43 PM.

No real reason to de-cat at the current mileage. Unless you do very short trips.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Yes, Rambo, I know and I did not mean to contradict you, just to inform of what's out there, thus I've mentioned the EU model info.

I actually made those pictures while looking for the reduction gasket that is claimed to be there on the exhaust to reduce turbo spin. I cannot find such an item on mine, but maybe I did not look close enough.
    Remove your exhaust / downpipe flange that is located under the driver seat, take out the gasket, compare with exhaust diameter...once again, this is a South Africa specific item, we have a very high altitude in half of South Africa
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    No real reason to de-cat at the current mileage. Unless you do very short trips.
    I agree with you partly, yes low mileage wont have any blocked CAT's etc...but is it ever too early to de-cat except for the environment?
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

Can that be done only mechanically? I don't think so, look at the lambda behind the DPF. There's one before the cat. I still have warranty on my engine, so I would not want to mess with the software yet.

That is in the making.

Can you please indicate where? If possible on the pictures I've sent. I see no "bracket" that would have a gasket like plate.

Thank you in advace!

You have 2 sensors, removing the DPFs will cause a check engine light that will have to be mapped out, software is your only way, sensor spacer/mini-cat might give you what you want but if you are concerned about the warranty on the engine then the warranty will be voided if you alter the exhaust.

There is no bracket where the gasket plate is....where your downpipe ends and exhaust starts, this is directly next to your gearbox under the seat, the exhaust flange where it bolts together, unbolt that flange and remove gasket compare hole against pipe diameter...like i said in other post, doubt you have it, only local 2.2s have it, we have very high altitude in South Africa
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

Thank you Rambo. I could check that out, to me it looks like there's just a gasket, but it may be that the gasket is also reduced in diameter. I mean this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reporting back, no restriction gasket found. Ford decided to use 15mm nuts which are not that popular, luckily I had them in my impact set. However there is no room for an impact gun due to the adblue injector on one side. Oh well, at least I made free some nuts .

Just out of curiosity, do SA Rangers use adblue?
    Last edited by onobeka; 2021/07/27 at 06:54 PM.

Reporting back, no restriction gasket found. Ford decided to use 15mm nuts which are not that popular, luckily I had them in my impact set. However there is no room for an impact gun due to the adblue injector on one side. Oh well, at least I made free some nuts .

Just out of curiosity, do SA Rangers use adblue?
    Nope, no Addblue either
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

Remove the catalytic converter and blank of the EGR, agree, and bypass the cooling water to the EGR cooler if a cooler is installed like on the 3.2 auto's..the reduction gasket is actually an orifice and is part of the exhaust bracket..

Rambo, my Fordjie spin nou lekker met die skoon asem...lol..
    Glad to hear that Kadafi
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec