First Aid Kit Contents - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Dental Emergency Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Alviljoen View Post
    Just a thought as well - you can buy a temporary tooth repair kit.

These are available in South Africa as well. Bruna puts together a very nice kit.

http://www.dentalkit.co.za/

Support local!

Chris

1997 110 Defender 300TDi (SOLD )
    2008 Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Powershift Auto (Platkar)

4x4 Action Group
    4X4AG0090 ( AG18 )
    ZS6RI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gary110 View Post
    Ok guys, I have finally put finger to keyboard and made up a list of things that I believe should be in a Vehicle First Aid kit. There are 3 sections to the kit; firstly the items that I think everyone must have in a kit, secondly the items that you should have, and thirdly the items that would be nice to have in your kit.

Of course this is also dependant on how far you may be travelling from the nearest medical facility, or for how long. I think that the "must haves" are what would really work well for a day at a local track or the dunes, the should haves would be good for a trip into the bush, but still within a couple of hours of a good hospital, and then the "nice to haves" for the serious overlanders up into Africa.

Please, this is not the Alpha and Omega of first aid kits. Many guys have some very good ideas for items in a first aid kit! Lets hear them! And if its really good I will amend the list to include it! I have put the list as an attachment so you can download it and print it a lot more easily, feel free to do so, its a list to help everyone get a kit together as effectively and cheaply as possible. If you feel that there is something on the list that you personally dont need, then leave it out! And if there is something that you personally want to add to it, then thats also ok! This list is just what I have found, in my personal experience as a paramedic in both SA and many African countries, to be what works for me.

What I also must stress though is that everyone does a first aid course. Not because the job says that you have to, or because I say so, but because the life you save could just be that of a loved one. Do the most advanced course that you can afford, the money will never be wasted!

I will also be setting up a document that will help the guys out there with what to do in some of the more common emergencies, and illnesses away from home. Sort of a "Bush medicine for the Layman" type document. I will also post it as an attachment so that it can be downloaded and printed and kept in a folder in the car until needed for reference. However as there is so much that can go wrong and there is so much that I would like to write about that this will take me some time. So just be patient guys, I'll do my best.

Also many thanks to Stan Weakley for all his help and input into this! Much appreciated Stan

Attachment 107701
    Hi Gary
    I really liked the doc with the list for a medical kit - do you supply them or can you point me in the right direction to get a kit like this?
    Thanks in advance!
    Arthur

I don't supply the kits. Most outdoor shops keep kits, but they are very expensive for what you get.

Thats why I set up the list, so each person could make up their own kit, based on their level of first aid training, as well as their budgets.
    I am strong, because I've been weak.
    I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
    I am wise, because I've been foolish.

Dont forget a pair of marigold gloves. If you get a hand injury you can put antiseptic on the wound and carry on as normal wearing the glove as protection. the glove(latex) fingers can be cut off to make snug finger stools to protect finger or toe injuries, Just cut a smaller finger than the size of the wounded one, and the elastication will hold if firmly on.

Keeps the covered wound sterile and clean, and its a cheap alternative to plasters and bandages, and you can work with them on.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gary110 View Post
    Ok guys, I have finally put finger to keyboard and made up a list of things that I believe should be in a Vehicle First Aid kit. There are 3 sections to the kit; firstly the items that I think everyone must have in a kit, secondly the items that you should have, and thirdly the items that would be nice to have in your kit.

Of course this is also dependant on how far you may be travelling from the nearest medical facility, or for how long. I think that the "must haves" are what would really work well for a day at a local track or the dunes, the should haves would be good for a trip into the bush, but still within a couple of hours of a good hospital, and then the "nice to haves" for the serious overlanders up into Africa.

Please, this is not the Alpha and Omega of first aid kits. Many guys have some very good ideas for items in a first aid kit! Lets hear them! And if its really good I will amend the list to include it! I have put the list as an attachment so you can download it and print it a lot more easily, feel free to do so, its a list to help everyone get a kit together as effectively and cheaply as possible. If you feel that there is something on the list that you personally dont need, then leave it out! And if there is something that you personally want to add to it, then thats also ok! This list is just what I have found, in my personal experience as a paramedic in both SA and many African countries, to be what works for me.

What I also must stress though is that everyone does a first aid course. Not because the job says that you have to, or because I say so, but because the life you save could just be that of a loved one. Do the most advanced course that you can afford, the money will never be wasted!

I will also be setting up a document that will help the guys out there with what to do in some of the more common emergencies, and illnesses away from home. Sort of a "Bush medicine for the Layman" type document. I will also post it as an attachment so that it can be downloaded and printed and kept in a folder in the car until needed for reference. However as there is so much that can go wrong and there is so much that I would like to write about that this will take me some time. So just be patient guys, I'll do my best.

Also many thanks to Stan Weakley for all his help and input into this! Much appreciated Stan

Attachment 107701
    Great list Gary. Thx for the effort

Awesome list Gary... I have reassessed my first aid requirements based on this list.

However, the one thing I would add is a headlamp. Yeah we all go camping and most of us have one around, but in an emergency, on the side of the road, in the dark, one is always scrabbling for some light.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

An enema for rehydration? Seriously? Is this a case of '' Hou my brandewyn en kyk hierdie move" ? Drips and oral rehydration solutions, yes. Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melane View Post
    An enema for rehydration? Seriously? Is this a case of '' Hou my brandewyn en kyk hierdie move" ? Drips and oral rehydration solutions, yes. Words fail me.

Perhaps you can quite the exact point you are referring to rather than replying on a pretty old thread.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Melane View Post
    Just for interest sakes,if one is stuck with a person vomiting continuously and no medic help close by. A water enema is the only way to hydrate a person.

It is proven that a family stranded out at sea survived by inserting sea water enemas. The lower intestines absorbed the water by the rectum. So water enemas are not silly ideas.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Just for interest sakes,if one is stuck with a person vomiting continuously and no medic help close by. A water enema is the only way to hydrate a person.

It is proven that a family stranded out at sea survived by inserting sea water enemas. The lower intestines absorbed the water by the rectum. So water enemas are not silly ideas.
    A sea water enema will dehydrate you. Just because it is going in the out hole doesn't reverse the laws of thermodynamics!
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    A sea water enema will dehydrate you. Just because it is going in the out hole doesn't reverse the laws of thermodynamics!
    I shall try find some proof,saw it on a documentary and bear grillis survival.Interesting.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Just a quick note a mate of mine ownes a dive shop in jhb ex medic /fireman he does a killer first aid course give him a call dave peer urban dive beyers naude drive +27 82 330 2848 and he can do first aid kits for a bloody brilliant price
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mavirick View Post
    Just a quick note a mate of mine ownes a dive shop in jhb ex medic /fireman he does a killer first aid course give him a call dave peer urban dive beyers naude drive +27 82 330 2848 and he can do first aid kits for a bloody brilliant price
    Ja !ja ! Always joburg,CT,Natal never closer to home.

Ask ambulance service in EL for first aid kit price,mmh! R600 to R 1k.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

While crossing the Zambezi at Ngonye Falls, my wife broke her ankle.
    We could not use the hard splints because of the pain. One of the ladies in our party suggested using a magazine to support the ankle, which was flopping around, with crepe bandage to immobilise it. A Fairlady worked very well.
    It worked well until we could get to Mongu where a back plaster was put on by 2 doctors at the mission clinic from Cape Town.
    Brian Coleman
    2002 Hilux Raider 2,7i S/C 4x4 + Canopy Caravan
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara Dune 2,4 M/T + Challenger Nomad 4x4 Trailer

I shall try find some proof,saw it on a documentary and bear grillis survival.Interesting.
    You don't need proof- seawater will dehydrate you, and bear grylls is one of the worst places to find survival information, but even he was using freshwater/rainwater off a guano island; his concern was that it would be too dirty to ingest via the mouth. Which is also nonsense. If Bear made the distinction between taste and pathogens it may have been useful advice, but he was concerned about being unable to disinfect the water.

The shipwreck survival people were probably having enemas because they were unable to stomach whatever liquids they had access to because of bad taste or starvation not because it was sea water.

I don't believe that an enema is a good filter for pathogens, surely no more effective than your stomach, I would not use this method for dirty water, but perhaps disinfected but distasteful water or when unable to keep down liquids via the mouth.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by Mavirick View Post
    ,.?':;"!!!

(Thought you might want to borrow some punctuation.......)
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 Auto

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    ,.?':;"!!!

(Thought you might want to borrow some punctuation.......)
    Andrew,slow day, in the office, again. I see.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Andrew,slow day, in the office, again. I see.
    That was like somebody had cloned Christo Meisensomethingorother!

English is a language - not some vermin to be beaten with a bat!
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 Auto

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    That was like somebody had cloned Christo Meisensomethingorother!

English is a language - not some vermin to be beaten with a bat!

Grass is some thing you grow on lawns, not some thing you smoke.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Default First Aid Course

"killer" first aid course might be the wrong wording for advertising!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast