Kgalagadi November

Default Kgalagadi November

Hi,

Please can someone give me advice. I would like to visit the Kgalagadi in November. The trip planned will need to happen in 8 days. Will this be enough time? As this is my first time to the Kgalagadi and I am not planning to do the 4x4 route but to stay over by a few camps. Can anyone suggest which camps to stay over? I assume 2 days for traveling to there and back giving me 6 days to tour around in the Kgalagadi. How is the Kgalagadi in November?

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expect some hot days in the 40's and some thunder storms in the afternoons.
    Apart from that there are camps with reasonable;e infrastructure (fuel, shops, restaurants, ice, cool drinks) like Twee Rivieren and Nossob or Mata Mata.
    From there you have ample routes for game viewing, so take them as a base.
    Advantage is also that they are the only fenced ones and give you some comfort and feel of security.
    All other camps are roughing it a bit and you need to be self sufficient.

There are many report of excellent game spotting (predators and the lot) not far from these base camp locations. Normally there is a log or black board with recent sightings updated by visitors on a daily basis, so it gives some leads.
    Enjoy.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I would suggest you start making reservations and take what is available. Chances are that the camps will be fairly full already. Once you know what is available, you can plan your travel around available accommodation.

Thanks for the advice Kalahari. I will check if those camps have available accommodation.

---

And it will be hot. So take your swimming clothes. Most of the camps have swimmingpools.

If you go chalet - most of them also aircon. Camp - the trees is your aircon.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

I would say that Mata Mata is your best camp , with Twee Rivieren being a good option for first and last nights.
    The roads in the camp can be atrocious wrt corrugations -so be prepared to travel slowly at 1.2 bar tyres..At least the yobos in their platkarre will not be seen at Mata Mata or Nossob.

Dave

Most of the camps are pretty full.

There have recently been particular good sightings along the Mata Mata - Twee Rivieren road which is well known for Cheetah and Leopard apart from other game . Nossob is lion country. I would suggest a few nights in Mata Mata and then Nossob.

November will be hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Most of the camps are pretty full.

There have recently been particular good sightings along the Mata Mata - Twee Rivieren road which is well known for Cheetah and Leopard apart from other game . Nossob is lion country. I would suggest a few nights in Mata Mata and then Nossob.

November will be hot!
    Checked online and there seems to enough space available but will phone tomorrow.

Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata are the only campsites in the SA side. Meaning self camping.

How are the nights in November?

---

November nights can be riddled with thunderstorms, but they don't hit the same place every day. Expect nice but somewhat humid conditions with occasional windy gusts from nearby storms.
    Secure your camping gear when retiring for the night.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

If you are only two people and the budget allows I would highly recommend staying a night (or two) at one of the wilderness camps. Not only are they fabulous places to stay but you get to sit and watch the waterholes at night with glass of wine in hand and be one of only four cars on the road at the magic hours and the beginning and the end of the day.

We spent one week at Urikaruus in June (I know we were very lucky - it was special birthday present!). We saw amazing things - a lion taking an oryx down, two cheetah making a kill, a leopard grooming her cub, a caracal chasing a wild cat. And all within 15km or so of camp. We were back again in July/August for two weeks and stayed all over the park. Of the main camps we saw most from Mata Mata. Of the wilderness camps Urikaruus is our favourite but Grootkolk is a close second.

Some pics to whet your appetite here!! You will have to scroll down to find the pics from our July visit then down still further to find the June visit.

http://off2africa.synthasite.com/south-africa-2.php

@Itchyfeet
    Thanks for the link to your website - I spent a very long time there, this is an excellent reference. Brilliant photography!

@Gcgasson - I have stayed at Nossob twice and experienced lions around camp on both occasions. There was a wildebees kill about 100m from the camp hide on my last visit. Summer temperatures are extreme. We experienced 47 deg C in the shade during mid December. November should be quiet before the school holidays. We experienced less than 50% occupancy at camp sites during the December we were there. Roads are badly corrugated so deflate your tyres in preparation.
    We used Tweerivieren as an overnight stop on both trips.
    This is a brilliant park - one of the best. You will not be disappointed.
    2003 Toyota LC 105 GX 4.5 EFI
    2006 Echo 4 trailer
    1998 Toyota LC Prado 90 3.0 TD (retired by accident )

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post
    If you are only two people and the budget allows I would highly recommend staying a night (or two) at one of the wilderness camps. Not only are they fabulous places to stay but you get to sit and watch the waterholes at night with glass of wine in hand and be one of only four cars on the road at the magic hours and the beginning and the end of the day.

We spent one week at Urikaruus in June (I know we were very lucky - it was special birthday present!). We saw amazing things - a lion taking an oryx down, two cheetah making a kill, a leopard grooming her cub, a caracal chasing a wild cat. And all within 15km or so of camp. We were back again in July/August for two weeks and stayed all over the park. Of the main camps we saw most from Mata Mata. Of the wilderness camps Urikaruus is our favourite but Grootkolk is a close second.

Some pics to whet your appetite here!! You will have to scroll down to find the pics from our July visit then down still further to find the June visit.

http://off2africa.synthasite.com/south-africa-2.php
    Definitely going to do this! Thanks for this info.

---

Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    @Itchyfeet
    Thanks for the link to your website - I spent a very long time there, this is an excellent reference. Brilliant photography!

@Gcgasson - I have stayed at Nossob twice and experienced lions around camp on both occasions. There was a wildebees kill about 100m from the camp hide on my last visit. Summer temperatures are extreme. We experienced 47 deg C in the shade during mid December. November should be quiet before the school holidays. We experienced less than 50% occupancy at camp sites during the December we were there. Roads are badly corrugated so deflate your tyres in preparation.
    We used Tweerivieren as an overnight stop on both trips.
    This is a brilliant park - one of the best. You will not be disappointed.
    Thanks cwm I am already looking forward to this. Will take a lot of fluids for the heat.

Agreed ichyfeet photos are great!

---