dual battery / charge systems

Default dual battery / charge systems

Has anyone recently bought/ installed / priced dual battery charge systems and if so where is the best place to shop?

Thx

froggie - i recently bought a national luna system from outdoor warehouse for R2100 excl the battery (another R1200). it is the "portable" one and it works very well. then add another R1499 for a charger!

Hi froggie, search the forum for dual battery, I know there has been alot of discussions around it, you will find alot of info surrounding dual batteries, not just pricing and contacts.
    08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Versys
    98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Has anyone recently bought/ installed / priced dual battery charge systems and if so where is the best place to shop?

Thx

Hi Froggie

The best place to get a 105 Deltec would be at their head office in Sandton off Graysone offramp - 011 786 4911. You should still pay around R980 where when you buy form Outdoor Warehouse as example it should set you back close to R 1250 for the battery only. The you need a battery box ( R 100 - R 200 ) depending where you buy. You might want to consider a monitor to ensure that you are informed as to the status of the batttery - They cost only R100 from Safari Centre or 4x4 Megaworld.

The installation can be done by Big Country in Pta - speak to Bruce - good workmanship! 012 804 6704 / 083 449 7379. You will need a Brad Harrison fitted and the box must be built - that is if you cannot do it yourself like me!!! The solenoid activated switch installed by these guys will ensure that you do not run your vehicle battery flat - critical aspect when you are in the bush.

This might be a basic solution but very reliable - it is now fitted in my secobd Ranger!

Bets of luck!
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

It's a Ford thing - please try to understand!!

Ford Mondeo ST 220
    Ford Ranger 2.5 DC 4x4 ( Camil suspension / Navstar / Garmin 5 / Dual battery system / MT / AT etc.
    Venter Bushbaby with some goodies!

www.bospelle.co.za

thx for the info so, will search the forum

Hi Froggie,

I have recently (with the help of one of our club members ) installed a dual battery system into my wife's Frontier before going to Mabuasehube. I bought the National Luna intelligent solenoid from Outdoor warehouse for R596 and the High Cycle battery that I use at the moment I bought for R400. Add the cabling (6m of 16mm˛) at R180 and my system cost me R1,176 and was installed after work on a Friday afternoon.

I know some people will say that the high cycle battery is not ideal, but I haven't had any problems as yet with the battery as long as you take care not to run it completely flat (which you can do if you have a deep cycle - and one of these expensive C-Tec chargers ) and the High Cycle battery charges much faster as well.

Hope this info is of some help.

André
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Hi Froggie, as Andre said, for about R1200 you can buy and fit a National Lunar set up. The system is really easy to fit and it works!

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

I also use a high cycle instead of deep cycle as the space in the Mazda's engin bay is to small to a fit a deep cycle (just). I did not want to fit a battery in the load bin (did this with my Suzi I had) & I prefer having it in front (also works out cheaper on the cable cost. I have also had no problems yet.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
    I also use a high cycle instead of deep cycle as the space in the Mazda's engin bay is to small to a fit a deep cycle (just). I did not want to fit a battery in the load bin (did this with my Suzi I had) & I prefer having it in front (also works out cheaper on the cable cost. I have also had no problems yet.
    Hein, I had the same problem. The high cycle I've got is about the same size as a deep cycle and in order to fit it into the Frontier's engine bay I would've had to move the power steering fluid reservoir, diesel filter and some other thing. Wasn't keen at all to do that, so we've put the battery in the back of the Frontier behind the backrest of the smaller of the two seats (the backseat splits 1/3 / 2/3) as there was unused space when I put my Waeco 50L in the back. The battery fits 100% between the backrest and fridge and I don't take up too much extra space .

What I am going to do in the near future is to install a dual battery system into my D/cab (and definitely going the route I have with the wife's 4x4), so what I want to do is to make a battery plug by using one of those big brad harrison plugs and whichever 4x4 we decide to use, I can just plug the battery out of the one system and plug it into the other. That way I wouldn't have to buy a second battery that just adds to the cost in the end.
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Thanks,

I'm popping in to Moz for the weekend and I will start do the installation for the next trip to Sodwana.

Although I consider myslef very practical, mechanical and electrical - 2 hours after work for an installation just before I leave is definetly not enough :-)

Ta

Guys - where do I find the National luna system - at LA sport they have one for R2000 plus?

I would like to buy the coponents and do the job myself but where ....?
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

Skim, I got my components from Outdoor warehouse. Everthing including the controller and wiring for about R1200-00

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Dankie Johan - sal daar gaan soek!

Jimmie
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

Froggie there are plenty of duel systems on the market but I have used the cheap option and that was only to install a solinoid switch. So I would agree that you get the National luna intellegent kit as it will work. Only one word of advice use lekker thick cables to your battery. You need 6-8mm at least to ensure that the correct voltage is carried to the aux battery. Good luck with your project

Contact Pieter Barnard 0837490445 in Centurion. He is involved in the systems fitted to Braka, Conqueror & if I'am not mistaken Safari Centre. Price will be +- R2500 (excl battery) but I guarantee you you will never look back after that.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX