Warning KC Lights Warranty - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    The American dude ( arrogance personified nation ) you dealt with was definitely arrogant and maybe even Asian judging by the grammar let alone the spelling At least try and get them sorted and you can sell them in a repaired state !
    Andy, the Yanks name is Ramsey...not Ramsamy

LOL But read some of his English - not very good grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    A very good reason to rather get yourself some Lightforce Stryker 170's!
    Who sells the Lightforce Stryker 170's And price
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    LOL But read some of his English - not very good grammar
    Don't you know? Americans speak American - not English

Contact Paul as per AndyF's post. He lives around the Fishoek area and he is a great guy. He told me that the 23 year warranty is just a number, its actually a lifetime warranty. So you do not need invoices.

I am convinced that he will help you and replace your seals free of charge by return mail.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Thank you Malcolm.

I in no way expected these items for free. I am more disappointed in the manor I was replied to regarding my query, and if this is the attitude of the organisation I would rather spread the word, buy some new lights (like the Hella HID) and not have the KC products on my vehicle.

I have managed to get the owners email address so will be emailing him today as I think sometimes its the employees and not the company. (i hope anyway)

I will report back to you all.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

I also think Front Runner should have been more proactive in sorting out your problem as they purchase from KC repeatedly and should assist with warranty issues - the invoice should not have been an issue as you definitely bought them from them within the last 23 years And even if you never bought them there and they assisted you it would have counted greatly in their favour - typical SA business - sell the item but not interested in sorting problems as this does not bring in money directly they miss the bigger picture of customer service etc !

Possibly but perhaps they have also been treated like this by the supplier.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2011/07/30 at 11:11 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Hi All,

I thought it only fair to update everyone on the reply I recieved from the CEO of KC Hilights. I also received a call from Paul Coulthard last night at around 7pm. Paul is the agent for KC in SA and seems to be a great guy. He also seemed a bit irritated about the way it had been handled and assured me he will sort out the problem. I have offered to pay for the rubbers but he would not hear of it. He has already emailed me requesting my delivery address.

Here is the reply from Mr Michael DeHaas CEO of KC Hilights:

Mr. Turner,
    Iím very embarrassed by the way you were treated and that is in no way in how we do business, I will take this up with Jim in Customer Service. Our policy here in the USA is that we donít generally require a receipt, we simply take care of any defective products that are ours. Our official warranty statement does say we may require a receipt and this is to avoid fraud if somebody were going to a Junk Yard and pulling our lights off and sending them in to us for warranty, this has happened. So that being said, we say a receipt may be required but I can tell you in the 41 years weíve been in business, weíve only had to ask for a receipt less than five (5) times and thatís only for the repeat warranty customers who drew suspicion.
    The ring on the Daylighter is made of natural rubber and natural rubber tends to show signs of cracking and deterioration when exposed to the sun. Weíve tried EPDM but it doesnít seem to hold up to the heatÖ..but weíre always looking for new materials.
    I am more than happy to send you whatever part you feel you need to bring your lights to working condition. If youíre unsure of what the part is that you need, you can send me a low rez photos of the part and Iíll know what to send you. I already know you need the rubber #3028 and Iím happy to replace all of those and send you some spares and some new inserts but Iím not sure what else you may need.
    Bruce, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention directly and I will do what takes to retain you as a customer. Once we are over this hump, please contact me directly in the future.
    Again, once I know what you need, I will also need your shipping address to send you the parts.
    I hope this helps, if not please let me know what else I can do to rectify the situation.

Michael DeHaas - President/CEO
    KC HiLiTES, Inc.

So it seems they do actually stand by their products which is great news.

Rgds
    BruceT
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Well done on pursuing the issue,as if not the people at the top never hear of the problems at the bottom,thereby losing customers..........glad it turned out positive for you

1998 Defender Truck Cab 300 TDI - Bhubesi
    1997 Defender 2.8i - Intabani
    2007 Ford Ranger 4x4 Super Cab

1995 Disco 1 300 TDI - Sold
    1989 Landrover 110 Truck cab 3.5 V8 - Sold
    1991 Landrover 110 V8 - CSW - Sold
    1999 Disco ES 3.9 v8 - Sold

For service like that, my next set of lights will definatelty be KC!

Sent from my Plaas telefoon using Tapatalk
    Regards
    HeinrichC

Fantastic! Great service in the end. Unfortunately one stupid monkey could have ruined it for them, but I'm sure he'll get his butt kicked into shape.

I am very happy YOUR problem is solved

But for me , to go through ALL that crap Then you post on the Forum and get Blasted for complaining I'll just get cheaper and throw them away when i'm not happy

Andy F , Very true what you said , Frontrunner should also be blamed for this They sold the product , this guy spent big buck there Whats their problem TIA
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Hi All,

I thought it only fair to update everyone on the reply I recieved from the CEO of KC Hilights. I also received a call from Paul Coulthard last night at around 7pm. Paul is the agent for KC in SA and seems to be a great guy. He also seemed a bit irritated about the way it had been handled and assured me he will sort out the problem. I have offered to pay for the rubbers but he would not hear of it. He has already emailed me requesting my delivery address.

Here is the reply from Mr Michael DeHaas CEO of KC Hilights:

Mr. Turner,
    Iím very embarrassed by the way you were treated and that is in no way in how we do business, I will take this up with Jim in Customer Service. Our policy here in the USA is that we donít generally require a receipt, we simply take care of any defective products that are ours. Our official warranty statement does say we may require a receipt and this is to avoid fraud if somebody were going to a Junk Yard and pulling our lights off and sending them in to us for warranty, this has happened. So that being said, we say a receipt may be required but I can tell you in the 41 years weíve been in business, weíve only had to ask for a receipt less than five (5) times and thatís only for the repeat warranty customers who drew suspicion.
    The ring on the Daylighter is made of natural rubber and natural rubber tends to show signs of cracking and deterioration when exposed to the sun. Weíve tried EPDM but it doesnít seem to hold up to the heatÖ..but weíre always looking for new materials.
    I am more than happy to send you whatever part you feel you need to bring your lights to working condition. If youíre unsure of what the part is that you need, you can send me a low rez photos of the part and Iíll know what to send you. I already know you need the rubber #3028 and Iím happy to replace all of those and send you some spares and some new inserts but Iím not sure what else you may need.
    Bruce, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention directly and I will do what takes to retain you as a customer. Once we are over this hump, please contact me directly in the future.
    Again, once I know what you need, I will also need your shipping address to send you the parts.
    I hope this helps, if not please let me know what else I can do to rectify the situation.

Michael DeHaas - President/CEO
    KC HiLiTES, Inc.

So it seems they do actually stand by their products which is great news.

Rgds
    BruceT
    I have used, sold and am currently the Eastern Cape Agent for KC and what you read in this quoted entry above and the reaction from Paul Coulthard is exactly what we offer and what I would have expected from KC.

Spotlights are without doubt a personal choice and you get what you pay for, in the case of KC, I believe you get more than what you pay for.

Default KC Lights Warranty

Do not back down and allow Front Runner to get away with this!!! They are the agents/sellers and were supposed to attend to your problem. The sales receipt is actually irrelevant because 23 years is a "lifetime" warranty and must be honoured. Once Front Runner have established that your lights are not some Fong Kong ripp offs they should have given you the parts free of charge. You mentioned that they even remembered your purchase/fitments in excess of R30 000 then it is reasonable to assume that they know your KC spotlights were also fitted by them and are the original products.

This attitude by Front Runner is pathetic and I suggest you also post your complaint on hellopeter.com and write to all magazines that are prepared to publish complaints. If you back down now they will just continue with ripping consumers off with their 23 years warranty promise on KC lights that is worthless at this stage.

Front Runner is the guilty party and they must sort this out, do not allow them to pass the problem to their suppliers, they sold you the product and they are responsible!!!

I agree 100% with Gerhard's post above.
    When I owned a franchised fitment center, warranties by our suppliers were sorted out irrespective of where the original parts were bought. This was one way of gaining customers, even if it sometimes cost us a few cents to fit the replacement part.

It's not the product, it's the attitude that is making the difference.
    Why does it need the escalation to the CEO and exposure on a forum like this one (which the dude initially addressed
    Jim Ramsey
    Customer Service
    KC HiLiTES, Inc.
    Tel (92 635-2607
    Fax (92 635-2486
    does not even bother about) to resolve an issue of warranty which might cost the company some R 20-00 or less?

What does a guy with this attitude do in customer service anyway, wouldn't he fit better as a store keeper somewhere 5 floors below ground level ..?

Glad you got the issue sorted at long last. For me I'd stay away from the product, even if it seems to be okay, but I don't need the hassle to deal with such people.

Reputation tarnished and quite obviously a flaw in the product which leads to another question: "Why have other manufacturers found a solution for rubberized seals and NOT KC ??" Ignorance or attitude - well - it does not help to build confidence.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

Never doubted the outcome of this one. Like I said in my post, never had problems from KC's side with waranty issues. Big applause for Paul for phoning Bruce. That is the kind of of service I was accustomed to from him.
    I'm a little miffed that Front Runner had the attitude that they had in this regard. The service people usually got from them was of the highest standard. Does the owner Bobby know about this incident I wonder?
    Henk
    1996 Disco 1 V8 Souixsie
    2013 Nissan Juke 1.6 D-tekna (Painful because of Nissan dealers)
    2013 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiente (Sold after 5 years and 250 000km carefree kilometers)
    1995 Disco 1 V8 GuzzLR (Sold. Still miss her auto)
    2003 Disco 2 Facelift V8 SE Goldie (Sold. Still the most beautiful vehicle ever conceived)
    1983 Series 3 R6 Die Ou Vrou (Sold. Many happy memories still lingers)

Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug.

In all fairness Bobby does not know and I didn't bother telling him and FR did not fit them either (only supplied them). I also fully expected to get a reply saying you cant get them under warranty as I did not have proof of purchase however I could order them at XYZ price from XYZ supplier.

I am extremely happy with these lights and the SA4x4 magazine spot light shoot out (about a month or two back) also proved that I made the correct choice. I have also spoken to many people from here as well as Overland who have the same lights and it seems like I am the only one who has had this problem, so it seems I was just unlucky.

Credit where credit is due: Their agent in SA as well as their CEO have proved to me that the product does have back up. This problem was caused by one little prat who should not be in customer services and he will probably be having a bad day today, as I also received another email from Mr Dehaas on Saturday evening informing me that he has spoken to Jim's supervisor etc. I have also just received another email from Paul (SA agent) informing me that the rubbers will be delivered tomorrow around lunch time.

Now that certainly proves allot to me.

Something to think about, how many CEO's will email a client regarding such a "small issue" twice (once on a Saturday) to resolve it?
    How many suppliers will phone an unhappy customer after hours (after 7pm) on a Friday night to reassure them of a solution?
    Last edited by BruceT; 2011/08/01 at 12:47 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Default Dealers and warranties

I can't help but notice the extent to which Front Runner remain conspicuous by their silence on this matter, and that KC (apart from one particular customer service lacky) have been very gracious in not eluding to this fact. I can confirm that, as a manufacturer of OEM equipment with an extensive national dealer network (300+), that the responsibility of resolving warranties is one of the most important considerations in a dealer being appointed as such. Dealers (or brand-collectors, as many seem to become) seem to be of the opinion that they should be entitled to commissions and exorbitant mark-ups purely for providing shelf space for your product and maybe the odd mention in a remote corner of one of their audacious glossy ads. They are remunerated considerably, and principally on the understanding that they will provide infrastructure, resources and customer service, not only in the retailing of the product, but also in providing after-sales support in whatever form necessary - including adjudicating and conclusively resolving warranty issues (whatever the outcome). The lasting impression here is that Front Runner have been dismissive to the customer, neglectful in their duty, and disrespecting of their principal. Once again, hats off to the KC CEO, who has had to intercede in a consumer matter which should never have materialised if the dealer was prepared to earn his salt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast