Scuba/snorkeling at Inhassoro

Default Scuba/snorkeling at Inhassoro

We will be heading to Moz thru Pafuri crossing the Limpopo and then on thru Machaila on the bush road to Vilanculos in Septemter 2011.
    Has anybody crossed the Limpopo lately - we are 2 vehicles (Landcruiser and Mazda) one towing a bush trailer. Any suggestions for camping along the way. We were thinking on spending 2 nights on the way from Pafuri to Vilanculos as we are in no hurry, spending one night in Machaila.
    Has anybody also any suggestions on scuba/snorkeling operators at Inhassoro. We are staying at Estrella de Mananise who do scuba/snorkeling but are a bit expensive for boat hiring etc. and we would like more options.

Hi .

Cant help with info on Limpopo .

Although the archipelago has numerous brilliant dive spots , most of the operators are based in Vilancoulos . Odysea and Archipelago resort . And the dives are at least 30mins away by boat , hence the costs .

Snorkelling is brilliant on 2mile reef , about 3-4kms east of Baz's southern tip .
    The leeward side of Margeruque also produces decent viz dependant on the tidal movement .
    Paradise island / Santa Carolina also has some good snorkeling on a high tide .

Dive sites are numerous in the area , but all of them require at least 30mins on the boat to access . The operators pick one of many dependant on conditions .

You can contact Jean from Deep Blue adventures in Inhassoro for trips to Baz and Paradise Island , he knows the area very well , and also has a great pub near town .
    He's also a good friend .

Just be cautious hiring a dhow in Inhassoro to get to Santa Carolina , this could take up to 3 hours from town .

I have never heard of Estrella de Mananise , where in town is it ?

Hi Kotie

We hired a local to take us to paradise island for the day to snorkel which cost about R600 for the boat. Take some money with to the island as the park fees are about R30 P/P . We have not scuba dived anywhere.In Vilanculos for camping there is Josef E Tina in town on the beach and we went snorkling at Margaruque one day( R350 P/P ) and 2 mile reef the next (R 450 P/P) all inclusive with lunch + snorkling gear .It was with Rodrigues Dhows. The only other campsite is Blue Water bay about 15Km out of town.

Andrew

I agree, Santa Carolina (Paradise Island) is not to be missed.

I've been there 3 times already.

Very beautiful and it has excellent scuba and snorkeling spots.
    AMAROK
    BLINKGAT ALU CANOPY
    BLINKGAT DRAWER SYSTEMS AND FRIDGE SLIDE
    DOUBLE BATTERY SYSTEM
    BLNKGAT OFFROAD TRAILER WITH RTT

Hi PGJ

Will definitely contact Deep Blue Adventures. Estrella de Manenesi is 15 km north of Inhassoro on the way to BD Point. They have chalets and small campsite they rent out to one party only. The website is www.starofmoz.co.za and is quite informative.

Looks great , might pop in this year to have a look .

And i thought i knew everything in Inhassoro . Thanks .

We camped at Seta for 2nights and combined with other campers to hire a local dhow for a day trip to Paradise Island/Santa Carolina. Our fellow campers negotiated ruthlessly to get the price down to 4,000MT for the day (8 adults + 8 kids). Most operators were asking 8-10,000MT for the day. We had to arrange our own life-jackets which we hired from Dolphin Dhow Safaris for a good price.

The snorkelling there was our best of Mozambique. Large schools of fish. Good visibility. But that depends on the day. Unfortunately we didn't have time to get to the corals, since the trip took 2 1/2 hours on this rather slow dhow.

If you have time to camp at Pomene on your way up, it is well worth it. Quite fun off-raoding in the sand to get there as well.

However the snorkelling in Lake Malawi was even better!
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

Default Re: Scuba/snorkeling at Inhassoro

This is an oldish thread so I thought I resurrect it and see if that is still valid. We are going as a group to Jambalya at BD point end of August. Closest probable scuba diving operator is most likely inhassoro - can anybody confirm if deep blue adventures still operate or know of any scuba diving charters form around inhassoro.
    Much appreciated.
    Stephan
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Now is end of August 😀 I presume you are still there. If you get back please tell us how it went. We want to visit the area next year. Three 4x4's with 2x fully kitted rubber ducks. Can quickly move around 10 to 12 people. We are interested in snorkeling and enjoying with the families. What were the park fees for the day per person? Things to look out for? Bad experiences?
    Last edited by Gomario; 2019/08/30 at 06:00 AM.
    I love Mozambique!

Just been to moz for a month ; trip to st carolina was very good ; excellent snorkelling ;lots of fish and different types of coral , specially hard coral ; we used Rodrigues dhows ( contact: +258845680866 ); it was good ! we fished , snorkelled ,had lunch , on the way back fished again ; no luck tough ! i knew magaruque and 2 mile(bazaruto/benguerra) from previous trips ( snorkelling and diving) but st carolina was still on the list ; on a good day it is a must ; use Rodrigues dhows if you have the time , are not in a rush and really want to have a good dhow experience ; we did not share the dhow with any other group so it added to the experience ; calm cool and collected!
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2019/09/07 at 10:50 AM.

without any presumption please for those that refer to BD point - standing for "Bartolomeu Dias" point ;if that is what you might mean ,then my comment is that it has its place in our forum dictionary yes .... but be aware that Dias NEVER got that far .... ; he had a mutiny on board and around present day Alexandria - south africa eastern cape coast he planted a padrao ( beacon Cross ?) and returned home.....Rgds to all .