Planning update

Thread: Planning update

Default Planning update

After receiving several hints and advice in the forum we have finally planned and made bokings. As road conditions may have changed and having no experience in zambia we would like to ask about yor remarks and comments:
    30th July: Arriving in Livingstone via JNB. Take over car and have a rest at Protea (reservation made)
    31th July: Driving to Nanzhilla. We asume 8.5h for 262km. ? Which road shall we take in Kafue heading N to nanzhilla ?
    1st Aug: Driving up to Mukambi. We planned with base camp 240km and 6h - not taking seenic route as we may still be tired and the beginning of the holidays.
    2nd Aug: Driving from Mukambi up to Busanga Plains Camp. 150km and 6.5h.
    3rd/4th Aug: At Busanga Plains
    5th Aug: Driving via shortcut and using ferries as to be advised by linda (thirstie) to Mc Bride. We asume 5h and 150km.
    6th Aug: Stay at Mc Bride
    7th Aug: Drive towards SLNP and make first stop at Pioneer. We asume 280km and 7h
    8th Aug: Pioneer to Chipata. We asume 566km and 9h
    9th Aug : Reserve (due to short cut to make bride we win a day) Any hints welcome.
    10th: Chipata up to Kaingo Lodge in SLNP
    11th / 12th: Stay at Kaingo Lodge in SLNP
    13th / 14th: On the way to the Mana Pools. We are not sure where to make appropriate stop and if we may use Chirundu or we shall use dertour via Kariba due to problems to be expected at Chirundu boarder (special behaviour of staff as mentioned in the forum). We thought at Katete and Kariba ?
    15th Aug: Drive from Kariba to Nyamepi. (if you want bring beer we are at Site 20)
    16th / 17th Aug: Stay at Nyamepi
    18th / 19th Drive to Livingstone. Where to stay over night not decided yet. Advice welcome.
    20th: At 13:15 departure flight from Livingstone to JNB.

Thanks Tom

PS: Hilux Diesel, offroad version, whinch, snorkel, roof tent. Driving experience approx 20'000km in NAM / BOT.
    Yes we have skin so soft thnks mike

Tom,

Don't drive the Hilux out of the car-hire place until you are happy with all of the tyres, have checked the tent, and have a proper compressor. Your tyres WILL be over inflated. I would take a pressure gauge with you.

Livingstone to Nanzhila was 4 hours for me last September.

Nanzhila to Mukambi.....the road from Itezhi Tezhi running NE to the tar has been graded, so the journey will only take 4 hours or so, apparently. Be careful!

Say hi to my daughter on Busanga Plains, please! She is working up there.

Not enough time at McBrides!!! You need two days minimum. Take your "reserve" day here. The other bookings can easily slip.......this is Zambia! You don't need bookings for Pioneer or Mama Rulas anyway. Pioneer is up a very bad track, turn right off the Gt East Rd immediately after the big police checkpoint at the bus stop.....look out for another right turn after a couple of km.

McBrides to Pioneer will take about 5 hours, depending on traffic in Lusaka. Say hi to Paul from me, who runs Pioneer.......and eat in their restaurant. It's very good.

Its a good road to Chipata (actually 555 km). 7 hours ish. Take extra care for the first 150km out of Lusaka as the road is very bendy, with some big hills and big drops.......and some struggling trucks. Be careful to stop and obey instructions at "Bridge". The guy there can get stroppy.

Have a great time....I'll just miss you!

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2011/07/20 at 04:56 PM.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Tom,

Livingstone to Nanzhila was 4 hours for me last September.

Nanzhila to Mukambi.....the road from Itezhi Tezhi running NE to the tar has been graded, so the journey will only take 4 hours or so, apparently. Be careful!
    Livingstone - Nanzhila = 6hrs, 2 weeks ago. The river road was still closed. Check at the gate with ZAWA if you can pass. Best is also to get hold of Brad at the camp and ask him. BTW he was told 2 weeks ago that the road is open....then got stuck himself and slept in the vehicle that night. Some Ducth tourist got stuck and decided to walk to Nanzhila......we saw their markers along the way........

Take care on that road and dont speed....if you are not a seasoned dirt road driver it will catch you on "high" speed. Get your tyre pressure right down!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2011/07/20 at 06:50 PM.

Basically, the rule is the earlier in the dry season that you are travelling, the slower the journey will be. By August you'll be doing Liv-Nanz quicker than 6 hours. Tony Weaver took 9 hours, in June I believe, 3 or 4 years ago.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Thanks Mike
    Car we will check - actually it will be brought from Windhoek from a company I fully trust and have rented several cars allready. Anhow they are always overinflated and need to be reduced...
    With pleasure we will greet your daughter - what's here name - or will she recognize us because our "skin is so soft" .
    Any hints regarding SLNP to Mana and back to LVH.

The road from Chipata is being tarred,as they say,slow but sure. Took me 3 1/2 hours now in July. Doing a road report from Jhb to SLNP and stayed at Croc Valley again.....had a great time. Watching leopard,hippo and croc together from the bar. Have a look on Facebook at their photos as well as website www.crocvalley.com

Thanks Asanti -will leave for airport now ..