Overland / Touring Vehicle ... With Toilet ...

Default Overland / Touring Vehicle ... With Toilet ...

Yes, with a toilet please

Long story, but I'll try to keep it short. My parents have had their innings, and now is their time to enjoy life, explore beautiful southern africa & have fun. Every time I tell them about my adventures, I can see that look in my dad's eye's ... And I know my mom desperately wants to get out of the house, off the farm, and back to Namibia, but exploring it, not just visiting the family.

They're "poeding boere", relatively small, but big enough to put me through varsity & set me up in life to do my thing. It's time to give back now, perhaps long overdue ... And they're not springchickens anymore, world war 2 models ...

Back to the toilet, my dad's a cancer survivor, but all the ops took their toll and now he has to stay very close to the loo. He's a proud man, a bit hardass as well, ok maybe a lot, and this hole thing is not very good for all of that ... So he stays on his farm and doesnt go anywhere if he doesn't absolutely has to ...

So we need some advise, what is out there so that they can go explore, but have the toilet close if needed. And also safe to stop anywhere anytime. We'll probably rent first to seed what works, maybe buy later if it all works out ... Bottom line we as kids need/want to do something ... and do it now

What would guys recommend. Thinking of sending them through Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana, my dads dream is to spend a couple of days somewhere in the Richtersveld as a family ... Something we found out just recently ...

We accept we'll have to take baby steps ...

Thanks
    Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 2011/07/13 at 07:58 PM.

Jacques,
    I can feel your issue and I'm doing a lot of touring.
    I would say the "easiest" not cheapest option to try it out would be to rent one of those off-road caravans, link it to a decent towing vehicle and off they go.
    They have ready built-in chemical toilets with a certain capacity and a removable tank (plug-in) to empty once a day where the facilities are.
    In any other cases, you'll need to construct or adapt an off-road camper which are quite an expense and a bit clumsy to drive, but then you would not have to tow.

From your description of your dad, he could handle the towing issue and keep the flexibility to park the caravan and head out for game drives for an hour or so without breaking camp.

Also the testing could be arranged with a rental and trial for some days, you possibly would go along to make it easier for them.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Jacques,
    I can feel your issue and I'm doing a lot of touring.
    I would say the "easiest" not cheapest option to try it out would be to rent one of those off-road caravans, link it to a decent towing vehicle and off they go.
    They have ready built-in chemical toilets with a certain capacity and a removable tank (plug-in) to empty once a day where the facilities are.
    In any other cases, you'll need to construct or adapt an off-road camper which are quite an expense and a bit clumsy to drive, but then you would not have to tow.
    From your description of your dad, he could handle the towing issue and keep the flexibility to park the caravan and head out for game drives for an hour or so without breaking camp.
    Also the testing could be arranged with a rental and trial for some days, you possibly would go along to make it easier for them.
    Thanks Kalahari,
    Yes, either myself or my brother will accompany them on one or two "expedition" trips to check things out.
    And the "clumsy to drive" thing also worries me, but I guess we'll need to test a couple of options first before we decide.

JJ, I was in Bots over the long weekend with similar "loo problems" as you have. I put the porta potti, fully loaded in the caravan (Commander) whilst driving. And no problems at all. So, you can use the porta as you would at home. No spillage, smells whatever. Perfectly safe, or the one that I have bought about 2 years ago.

Good luck and enjoy the trips.
    I might be a FOOL, but I am an OLD fool - from unknown.

I would rather go for a campervan. Those ones that allows you to stop and get to the loo from your driverseat. They do come in 4X4 as well, but even a normal one would get you to a lot of places.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Ockert123 View Post
    JJ, I was in Bots over the long weekend with similar "loo problems" as you have. I put the porta potti, fully loaded in the caravan (Commander) whilst driving. And no problems at all. So, you can use the porta as you would at home. No spillage, smells whatever. Perfectly safe, or the one that I have bought about 2 years ago.
    Good luck and enjoy the trips.
    Thanks, Ockert - are these porta models all the same or are there specific models that's more "reliable"

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I would rather go for a campervan. Those ones that allows you to stop and get to the loo from your driverseat. They do come in 4X4 as well, but even a normal one would get you to a lot of places.
    Thanks Spook, any good references for campervan 2x4 or 4x4?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    JJ, we used the Helderberg camper, 5 berth, for a 2 week long camping trip down Eastern Cape way. The convenience of having your own toilet on board as per Spook, especially whilst driving, is priceless. Swambo and my 2 girls were ever so grateful they didnt have to use the sometimes not so savoury facilities en route to our destinations, and also it performs excellently for night duty, when one is a bit lazy to walk over to ablution block.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Overlander
    2014 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 D
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Thanks Staalwol, I'll have a look

JJ, agree, the campervan options would be first prize. Depending on what you want to do when in future. For the porta potti's, standard one from OW. Me and swambo are in the 80Kgs range, very comfortable for us. Cubicle outside during the day and, for the two of us, inside at night. But there are a lot of options, think carefully and go for it.
    I might be a FOOL, but I am an OLD fool - from unknown.

Just seen this thread. For possible interest, I have just seen at Kennis Caravans on Ontdekkers Road, Roodepoort, a second hand WJ Motorhome for sale, not a huge thing to handle, which has a built-in toilet compartment, double bed accommodation and etc. for I think it is about R135000. Not a 4x4, but for comfortable touring otherwise, ..........maybe?

Jimo

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
    Yes, with a toilet please

Long story, but I'll try to keep it short. My parents have had their innings, and now is their time to enjoy life, explore beautiful southern africa & have fun. Every time I tell them about my adventures, I can see that look in my dad's eye's ... And I know my mom desperately wants to get out of the house, off the farm, and back to Namibia, but exploring it, not just visiting the family.

They're "poeding boere", relatively small, but big enough to put me through varsity & set me up in life to do my thing. It's time to give back now, perhaps long overdue ... And they're not springchickens anymore, world war 2 models ...

Back to the toilet, my dad's a cancer survivor, but all the ops took their toll and now he has to stay very close to the loo. He's a proud man, a bit hardass as well, ok maybe a lot, and this hole thing is not very good for all of that ... So he stays on his farm and doesnt go anywhere if he doesn't absolutely has to ...

So we need some advise, what is out there so that they can go explore, but have the toilet close if needed. And also safe to stop anywhere anytime. We'll probably rent first to seed what works, maybe buy later if it all works out ... Bottom line we as kids need/want to do something ... and do it now

What would guys recommend. Thinking of sending them through Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana, my dads dream is to spend a couple of days somewhere in the Richtersveld as a family ... Something we found out just recently ...

We accept we'll have to take baby steps ...

Thanks
    Jaques,

Jy kook my maat, hou van wat jy se oor jou ouers, soek biedjie 'thunderbox' onder die 'search tab' miskien die goedkoop vinnage opsie wat jy soek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimo View Post
    Just seen this thread. For possible interest, I have just seen at Kennis Caravans on Ontdekkers Road, Roodepoort, a second hand WJ Motorhome for sale, not a huge thing to handle, which has a built-in toilet compartment, double bed accommodation and etc. for I think it is about R135000. Not a 4x4, but for comfortable touring otherwise, ..........maybe?
    Jimo
    Thanks Jimo, I just had a look at WJ's website ... I think something like this is definitely an option. Will send them on a trip or two & then make a decision.

But I agree, R135k is not much - very reasonable for a touring vehicle for them.

Quote Originally Posted by moetbiedjiewegkom View Post
    Jaques,
    Jy kook my maat, hou van wat jy se oor jou ouers, soek biedjie 'thunderbox' onder die 'search tab' miskien die goedkoop vinnage opsie wat jy soek.
    Dankie man

Ek sit nou in Shanghai ... so baie van die links is geblok hier ... Ons het dalk paar goed om oor te kla in SA, maar nie naastenby so baie soos die arme mense hier nie ...

Ek loer sodra ek terug is in SA