Comments to our Zambia trip October 2011

Default Comments to our Zambia trip October 2011

Hi everyone,
    Attached our trip to Zambia in October 2011. Does any of you have some comments on our plan - for instance if we will get short of fuel? We have a 150l fuel tank and are driving a Hilux 4x4 which we have rented from Hemmingways in Livingstone.
    Looking forward to all your comment.
    Best regards
    Anne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zambia-Selfdrive-2011.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	104076  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910):
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    So throw off the bowlines
    Sail away from the safe harbor
    Catch the trade winds in your sails
    Explore. Dr
    eam. Discover

Dear Anne

We are going to visit the same places in August - but we will go up the SLNP and Mana Pools as well.
    When I check the plan then I would consider that there is no direct way from Busanga to Mc Bride. The short cut from lufupa is with a boat only. So we made our schedule to have a night between busanga and mc bride.
    Rgds Tom

Hi Tom,
    I got this fropm Linda (Thirstie):
    Bus to McB's has 2 ferry crossings so, provided they are quick crossings, you are looking at around 4 hours.
    Best regards
    Anne
    PS I hope you will provide me with your comments/rekommendations etc when you are back in august. We were in SLNP some years ago. This time we are going to Okavango Delta after our Zambia Trip. We were in Okavago Delta during the green season so now we will like to see it in the dry season.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    Explore. Dr
    eam. Discover

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swiss View Post
    Dear Anne

We are going to visit the same places in August - but we will go up the SLNP and Mana Pools as well.
    When I check the plan then I would consider that there is no direct way from Busanga to Mc Bride. The short cut from lufupa is with a boat only. So we made our schedule to have a night between busanga and mc bride.
    Rgds Tom
    It isn't directly direct............but Busanga to McBride's is doable via Moshi, the old camp site on the edge of Busanga.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi Anne

I crosschecked via current t4a update, but there is no track visible. Therefore when using basecamp it shows northern or southern route - but not the one you have shown in the picture attached shows direct way.
    Is it possible to show this part more in detail so we see where we might cross. We will ask linda anyhow when we are there.

Thanks Tom

The Moshi to McBride's route isn't on T4A, nor any other map that I have seen..........but it is definitely there! Linda will put you right.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

Thanks Mike

Will tray to record the track and make it available.
    Hopefully not with an indication where we got lost

Anne.......your time for Nanzhila to Mukambi looks very ambitious to me. I took 9 hours to do this in October last year, and made a note in my diary never to do that in one go ever again! You'll have a kerfuffle at the park gate, where they'll try and charge you for 3 days park fees for only 2 nights in the park, then fuelling in Itezhi Tezhi, which you must do, is a real palavar.......you have to visit an office at the top of the hill, buy a voucher, then return to the fuel station to fill up.....and finally, there are police stops into and out of IT which can hold you up. Then, the track along the river, which is utterly gorgeous, is a slow, winding track like in a game park.

My suggestion is to break the journey at Kaingu or Puku Pan. The former is beautiful and expensive, the latter is my favourite and cheap. You are still some 3 or 4 hours from there to Mukambi.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2011/07/14 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Mike and Tom,
    I got this from Linda ( - by the way how is she doing after the car accident):
    "Nanz to Mukambi is 5 hours at the moment as the road is graded from Itezhi Tezhi dam".
    Anne
    Explore. Dr
    eam. Discover

Quote Originally Posted by aznhl View Post
    Thanks Mike and Tom,
    I got this from Linda ( - by the way how is she doing after the car accident):
    "Nanz to Mukambi is 5 hours at the moment as the road is graded from Itezhi Tezhi dam".
    Anne

But then you miss out on the river road, which is, as Mike says, gorgeous. Linda is talking about the main road there.

Just got back from Sambia. Thanks to all the good advice and hints.
    Regarding several issues some quick info:

Skin-so-Soft:
    Worked perfect -not one itch (but I tried not without it ) - and we have been the best smelling people .

Road to Mc Bride:
    - There is no shortcut from Lufupa directly to Mc Bride. The Mosi Road is the shortest way. From Lufupa approx 4h.
    - You must take the way to the north at following point: Treetops School Camp 14 km.
    - Cross the Mosi Bridge -at first 60 cm precise driving is necessary as some planks are missing (one instead of 3).
    - Road is very fine till end of park
    - Then road is very rough till you meet main road in the north.
    - Follow the road and use the pontoons. Not residents with 4x4 pay 28U$ /Car/pontoon .
    - The more to the south the road gets more rough but not bad
    - See the signs to Mc Bride and follow them, road rough.

Chipata - Mfuwe:
    Everybody tells 3.5h - we made it in 2.5h without rush. Road under construction - dertour in parallel to the new road.

More details later

Rgds Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosi Junction.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	109833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosi Bridge.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	109834