Battery Charger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Charger

Default Battery Charger

i am in the market for a charger for my Deltec 12V deep cycle - any suggestions on the best charger to get to charge the battery when not in use? thanks in advance - cheers

C-tek at Outdoor warehouse
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Second Spike on that.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

There's two model C-Teks you could consider, the 3.6A & the 7A models. I think the consensus was that you should consider the 7-Amp charger for a Deltech Battery.

Compare prices, I bought mine (7A) at Auto Zone for some R1100, I saw an advert for the same thing somewhere else (can't remember where) but they wanted over R1300 for it.

Alternatively, try Renzo at http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pc=17

I'm not sure whether he is a member here, if he is, then PM him.

Expensive, but better than buying a new battery every year.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

I agree. I wish I bought the more expensive one. Quite pricey though

thanks for the help guys - just a question -> in my mind, and i am not techincal at all, a charger is a charger is a charger. what will make one better than the the other then? it looks like the C-Tek 7000 is probably the way to go, but if i had to by a R300 makro special, what difference would it make?

EVH,

A normal "Cheapie" charger is fine in an emergency, but a battery should never be left attached to if because of the risk of damage. A normal charger provides "brute force" charging power, with no regulation or monitoring of the charging current. But a purpose designed regulated charger will not over-charge a battery (which could consequently destroy it and present a fire hazard through release of Hydrogen) because it monitors the state of battery charge and adjusts its charging rate accordingly.

The C-Teks are expensive. Have a chat with Renzo at the link I gave you and I am sure he will be in a position to assist you.

No affiliation, etc.

PS: Or buy Spike's C-Tek... he wants a bigger one

-F_D
    Last edited by Family_Dog; 2007/04/16 at 01:42 PM.
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

thanks F-D -> i see the bush power ones are called power master chargers (herewith specs) - how do these compare with say the C-Tek cause they are 1/2 the price. i really appreciate the help - as a technically impaired soul, i am totally dependant on 3rd party guidance!!

Power Master 3 stage charger, 12V 12AProduct Code: CHG-PM-1212Price: R 695.40
    The Power Master ABC Series PWM intelligent 3-stage battery chargers have an automatic multi-rate charging function which charges your batteries perfectly and extends the batterys life. The chargers are suitable for most lead acid and lead calcium batteries.

Features
    Wide input voltage range of 90VAC to 260VAC, especially suitable where the input voltage is variable/unstable, e.g. generators
    Short circuit protection
    Reverse polarity protection
    Overload protection

Specifications
    Input voltage and frequency90VAC to 260VAC, 50Hz to 60HzOutput voltage and current12VDC / 10AEqualization charge voltage14.6VDCFloating charge voltage13.7VDCDimensions (L x W x H)180 x 90 x 50mmWeight1.1kg

Hi EVH,

Those specs look good, I would feel comfortable with them. I would suggest contacting Renzo to ensure that you could safely leave the charger connected to the battery unattended for long periods of time, such as with the C-Tek.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

EVH

Here is some info on Battery charging

Battery Charging
    Battery charging takes place in 3 basic stages: Bulk, Absorption, and Float.
    Bulk Charge - The first stage of 3-stage battery charging. Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no "correct" voltage for bulk charging, but there may be limits on the maximum current that the battery and/or wiring can take.

Absorption Charge: The 2nd stage of 3-stage battery charging. Voltage remains constant and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts.

Float Charge: The 3rd stage of 3-stage battery charging. After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is often referred to as a maintenance or trickle charge, since it's main purpose is to keep an already charged battery from discharging. PWM, or "pulse width modulation" accomplishes the same thing. In PWM, the controller or charger senses tiny voltage drops in the battery and sends very short charging cycles (pulses) to the battery. This may occur several hundred times per minute. It is called "pulse width" because the width of the pulses may vary from a few microseconds to several seconds. Note that for long term float service, such as backup power systems that are seldom discharged, the float voltage should be around 13.02 to 13.20 volts.
    Chargers: Most garage and consumer (automotive) type battery chargers are bulk charge only, and have little (if any) voltage regulation. They are fine for a quick boost to low batteries, but not to leave on for long periods. Among the regulated chargers, there are the voltage regulated ones, such as Iota Engineering and Todd, which keep a constant regulated voltage on the batteries. If these are set to the correct voltages for your batteries, they will keep the batteries charged without damage. These are sometimes called "taper charge" - as if that is a selling point. What taper charge really means is that as the battery gets charged up, the voltage goes up, so the amps out of the charger goes down. They charge OK, but a charger rated at 20 amps may only be supplying 5 amps when the batteries are 80% charged. To get around this, Statpower (and maybe others?) have come out with "smart", or multi-stage chargers. These use a variable voltage to keep the charging amps much more constant for faster charging.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
    Willem Grimsell<br>Pretoria<br>2004 2.7 Hilux DC Legend 35

C-tec does the pulse thing

Read somewhere that a battery charger should be able to deliver more than 14.3 volts at some stage to clear the plates from ...whatever.
    My charger delivers 13.6 volts at full charge. Maybe thats why I often loose batteries, although the one in my car that needs to be replaced, has lasted for seven years. The same brand lasted 7 years in my father's car as well. Makes me wonder why I try other brands at all.

14.3 volts
    I heard something similar on the weekend. A buddy was showing me is custom dual battery system with a gizmo from an electric wheelchair that gave higher charge

thanks for all your help - have have just received a quote on a c tek xs 3600 for R800 and it sounds like an ok deal - unless i hear any bad "press" on this charger i think it is the way i'll go. anyone with any experience of this charger?

Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    thanks for all your help - have have just received a quote on a c tek xs 3600 for R800 and it sounds like an ok deal - unless i hear any bad "press" on this charger i think it is the way i'll go. anyone with any experience of this charger?
    Sounds a bit expensive. I bough one in July last year at Autozone, and only paid R570.00... which I also considered expensive!

The XS 7000 cost me R1100 in November of last year, also at Autozone.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

F-D -> thanks, would you then say that i should rahter spend the extra moola and get the 7000 - they are about R1500 at outdoor warehouse (as opposed to R800 for the 360) - the local auto zone in durban do not stock the c tek for some reason. i really apprecaite your help man.

Just make sure that the model you select is up the task. The 3600 is for batteries from 1.2ah to 120ah and the 7000 for batteries from 14Ah to 225Ah
    Willem Grimsell<br>Pretoria<br>2004 2.7 Hilux DC Legend 35

Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    F-D -> thanks, would you then say that i should rahter spend the extra moola and get the 7000 - they are about R1500 at outdoor warehouse (as opposed to R800 for the 360) - the local auto zone in durban do not stock the c tek for some reason. i really apprecaite your help man.
    I would definitely suggest you consider the XS-7000 model. I bought the smaller one originally, but the bigger one is the way to go. Although the XS-3600 will do the job, it is not really the correct one to use for this job.

I phoned Autozone locally again, new prices are R687.37 for the XS-3600 and R1571.14 for the XS-7000. Expensive! Did you get a chance to speak to Renzos at Bushpower?

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

i bit the bullet and bought the xs 7000 - i phoned the deltec people here in pineton and they advised me that both the 3600 or 7000 would do the job but the 3600 will take very long to charge - based on that i decided to go the xs 7000 route and although R1500 poorer hope i made the right choice. but f-d thanks for the help and input -> for a "technically challenged" individual like myself i need guidence on decisions like these. do you think i can leave the battery in my national lunar power pack (swithed off of course) when charging or do i have to take it out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast