Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Electrical question

After following Dirtbike's thread on fridges, and much debate with myself, I purchased a 40L ac/dc Kellerman on Saturday.

Question 1

I have a 1000 a/h battery (thanks Hilton) and was wondering how long this would run the fridge. The specs say it has a 4.5 amp draw.

Qusetion 2

At the same time I bought the National Lunar split charging system. Will the Colt's altenator have enough oomph to charge the 1000 a/h battery?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Sorento.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Quote Originally Posted by Sorento View Post
    After following Dirtbike's thread on fridges, and much debate with myself, I purchased a 40L ac/dc Kellerman on Saturday.

Question 1

I have a 1000 a/h battery (thanks Hilton) and was wondering how long this would run the fridge. The specs say it has a 4.5 amp draw.

Qusetion 2

At the same time I bought the National Lunar split charging system. Will the Colt's altenator have enough oomph to charge the 1000 a/h battery?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Sorento.
    Sorento

If you do a simple calculation your battery should last 222 hours 8) but it's the ability to deliver that current is the issue... You should easily get 48 hours usage out of the fridge before having to charge again...

Relating to question 2, your alternator should do fine. While some would argue that you'll never get a full charge from the standard alternator, I've not changed and never had a problem thus far. I wouldn't bother worrying about the alternator. Did you get a battery monitor? If not you should so you know what's going on.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Q2 - I've also never had a problem with my NL system as it charges Bat-1 for about 4-5min & then the solinoid kicks in to charge Bat-2 & in the nealy 2 years I've had mine in I've had no issue. Yes (If you do not have it yet) get the dual bat monitor so that you can check both baterys & it also comes with an override to have both bat's working / charging at your comand or if you need to have power for a winch.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

Thanks Simon, I did calculate at 222Hrs but this seemed unrealistic to me, not being an electrical boffin, I did not think it would be as easy to calculate as that, I would rather work around the 48Hr figure. I looked at the dual battery monitors and saw two different types, one being about R130-00(red pack) more expensive than the other (blue pack). I did not have the time to investigate the difference between the two, so left this for a later purchase.

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

I saw an interesting thing on the weekend. Clive (non forum oke who came on the Hex) had a dual battery set up that had a gizmo from an electric wheelchair that made the fridge etc run off the cars battery while driving and off the second battery while stopped. This so the second battery can charge quicker. Apparently it provides a higher charge as well. Maybe worth looking into.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

NL battery monitors

The new battery monitor range has been designed to cover a variety of applications where it is important to monitor the state of a battery. Using digital technology, the new battery monitors constantly measure the voltage of your battery and warn you when the battery is getting flat or when the battery is being overcharged. Visual and audible alarms are standard on most models. Features such as alarm silence and sleep mode are also available.

All battery monitors in the range are simple to install and at the same time reliable and very accurate.

Single battery monitor
    Name:  Single%20NA.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  5.3 KB
    This monitor is a low-cost, accurate battery capacity meter. Featuring digital technology, the single battery monitor measures the terminal voltage of a single 12-volt lead-acid battery and converts the voltage into a simple-to-read graph.

The graph is split into 3 colour areas so that at a quick glance, you can know if your battery is OK. The single monitor has built-in excessive-discharge and overcharge identification and visual alarm.

Supplied with 3.5 metre flex cable.

Single battery monitor (With audible alarm)
    Name:  Single%20WA.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  6.2 KB
    This version of the single battery monitor has a built-in audible alarm. The monitor identifies conditions of excessive-discharge and over-charge. If any of these conditions are reached, the monitor will warn the user with a visual and audible alarm. The alarm on this single monitor can be disabled at any time. If you don't need to see the state of your battery all of the time, the display can be turned off as well. In this mode, the monitor still functions normally and will wake if any error occurs.

The single battery monitor is supplied with 3.5 meters of cable.

Dual battery monitor (With dual audible alarm)
    Name:  Controller.jpg
Views: 229
    Designed especially for dual battery 12-volt and 24-volt systems, this monitor measures two batteries at the same time. The Dual battery monitor has all the features of the single monitor, but has two separate displays with over-charge and excessive-discharge alarms. Each of the two displays have their own alarms which can be turned off independently of each other. The two displays can also be turned off independently. This monitor can be used with almost any existing dual-battery system.

This monitor has an independent-negative system, and is perfect for two-battery 24-volt systems. Supplied with 3 or 6 meters of cable.

Dual battery controller (With audible alarm)

Name:  Controller.jpg
Views: 229
    This version of the Dual Battery Monitor is a companion to the National Luna split-charge system. The monitor is supplied with a removeable cable which connects to either the Intelligent Solenoid or Portable Power Pack, no other wiring is necessary. The monitor uses high-accuracy digital technology to measure your batteries several times per second and display battery status in an easy-to-read manner. This monitor is also compatible with older versions of the National Luna split-charge system.

Featuring over-charge and excessive-discharge detection, visual and audible alarm, alarm silence, SLEEP mode and timer override facility. All packed into a compact, stylish package. The plug-in cable is available in 3 meter or 6 meter lengths.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hein

Thanks Bundu, those last 2 are the ones I was looking at, so which one do I use?

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

You can switch the solinoid so if you have or are planning to put a winch go for the controller as you can run both bat's at the same time (on 12V) or if Bat 1 is dead (& you have no one the jump start) you can switch the sloinoid on & start the car with both bat's on (so no need for a jump)
    Last edited by Bundu; 2007/04/16 at 09:40 AM.

Hein

Thanks again Bundu, I do have a winch and will fit it in the near future so will get the controller.

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

Sorento,

Not sure if this is a typo, but you might mean a 100A/Hr battery, which is about the size of a tractor battery. That being the case, you can in theory divide the 100 by 4.5 for running time, and then halve it for practical purposes. You could then expect some 10 - 12 hours running time from a 100A/Hr battery before the battery starts losing available power through inefficiency, depending on the duty cycle of the fridge motor.

Your normal alternator will suffice, but ensure that your 100A/Hr battery is fully charged before you use it.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Sorento,

Not sure if this is a typo, but you might mean a 100A/Hr battery, which is about the size of a tractor battery. That being the case, you can in theory divide the 100 by 4.5 for running time, and then halve it for practical purposes. You could then expect some 10 - 12 hours running time from a 100A/Hr battery before the battery starts losing available power through inefficiency, depending on the duty cycle of the fridge motor.

Your normal alternator will suffice, but ensure that your 100A/Hr battery is fully charged before you use it.

-F_D
    Hi Eric, this is really a 1000 a/h battery. Its massive and heavy...
    '94 Hilux 4x4 3.0 D/Cab. KZTE Eng.
    2007 Fortuner 4x4 4L V6 AT

Hi Eric, as Hilton said, it's big and heavy. I used it for a week once running 2 11watt low ennergy lights through an inverter off it all night every night and the battery stayed in the green.

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

Shucks, that thing will provide you with power for a week and won't even flinch! Must be then about the size of ten tractor batteries!

It would take a few body-builders to lift that hefty power source...

I retract my charging comments... your poor old alternator will probably suffer from heat-exhaustion before it manages to charge that battery, it would be running flat out for a good few hours! You need to keep it cool or install a good fan blowing cool air on it while it works like this, especially if the vehicle is stationary.

Solar panels would be the way to go to keep that Monster fully charged!

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Eric, good point about the solar panels. I bought 2 solar panels from a company, I think they were called African Power, in Brakpan a few years ago. The price for both was in the region of R500-00. They are about 800mm long by 300mm wide. At that price I thought they were a bargain. However I dont know what there output is and I still need to get a regulator, but this might be the time to sort them out.

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

Johan,

If you were going to leave them permanently coupled to the battery, you should be able to keep the battery "floated", i.e. charged at all times. The use of a regulatory is obligatory, it isolates the battery from the panels and prevents damage from over-voltage.

I should imagine you would require roughly 120-150W (as a bare minimum!) SP to keep that battery nicely charged, assuming no other current draw from it. From the dimensions you gave (and the price), I would guess your panels would be a bit too lightweight to keep the battery fully charged.

Renzo (from the 4xforum) has this useful page here:
    http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pc=1

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Johan

Are you sure that this is actually a 1000ah battery ? The biggest 12V battery I could find is 255ah. When more capacity than that is needed they normally put banks of these in parallel. There are also different specs which make some batteries look better than what they really are. The only 1000ah battery I could find was a 2v. I also think that you will struggle to recharge the battery to a full state if this is a 1000ah battery with your vehicle alternator when completely discharged because of the time needed. Let's say the battery is 75% discharged, it will then need 750 Amps to be recharged to full, lets say your alternator can theoretically supply 50 Amps (which I doubt as it still has to supply power to the electrics of the car and charge the vehicle's battery) then it will take 15 hours of constant supply/driving to recharge the battery to full.
    Willem Grimsell<br>Pretoria<br>2004 2.7 Hilux DC Legend 35

Beans Guest

This is a 777amp hour at the 5hr rate 24v battery that shorted out I think it weights in at 1 ton or close thereof
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 3RZ View Post
    Johan

Are you sure that this is actually a 1000ah battery ? The biggest 12V battery I could find is 255ah. When more capacity than that is needed they normally put banks of these in parallel. There are also different specs which make some batteries look better than what they really are. The only 1000ah battery I could find was a 2v. I also think that you will struggle to recharge the battery to a full state if this is a 1000ah battery with your vehicle alternator when completely discharged because of the time needed. Let's say the battery is 75% discharged, it will then need 750 Amps to be recharged to full, lets say your alternator can theoretically supply 50 Amps (which I doubt as it still has to supply power to the electrics of the car and charge the vehicle's battery) then it will take 15 hours of constant supply/driving to recharge the battery to full.

Willem, this is really a 12V 1000a/h battery. We use them in our Earthmoving machines too.

I wish I can give you more details, but I might just get trouble on a public forum....

3RZ/Beans, Hilton gave me this battery, and not being very knowledgeble in this field, I have to take Hilton's word for it. If I judge it against the pic in Beans' thread, then definately not. However it is a big battery, much bigger than my 105a/h. Come help me out here Hilton.

Edit: I see you have already done that Hilton

Johann du Toit
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    T104

O.K. Here's 2x batterys in our Dyno Room.

Both 12V and 1000a/h. We use them as 24Volt then

The Coke can is just for size comparrison.

Remember that we start 1000 HP 40 Litre V12's and
    2000HP 60 Litre V16's with these batterys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyd 011.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	3679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyd 012.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	3680  
    Last edited by TopHilux Hilton; 2007/04/17 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast